Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-20-2012, 12:38 PM   #1 
mikechamp23

Betta loves eating TOO much!

Hey guys, i have a quick question! My betta Zeus loves eating too much! Whenever you are near the tank, he will be swimming under the food hatch. This happens everytime and he is always looking for food even though he gets a ton of food. I admit, i do overfeed him, but he always wants more food and is always ready to eat.
mikechamp23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 12:41 PM   #2 
Sena Hansler

Avoid overfeeding. That will cause SBD, and other problems that you do not want nor need to deal with. How much are you feeding him now? Most Betta fish will eat until they are about to explode.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 12:42 PM   #3 
shellieca
Reference Team

That's a Betta. Be strong & resist the urge to feed OR reduce the amount you feed each time. Say you typically feed 3-4 pelletes (depending on the food) twice a day, feed 2 pellets 4 times a day. Then you're both satisfied, you get to feed when he begs without over feeding & he gets to eat every time he sees you.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 12:45 PM   #4 
mikechamp23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post
Avoid overfeeding. That will cause SBD, and other problems that you do not want nor need to deal with. How much are you feeding him now? Most Betta fish will eat until they are about to explode.
I usually give him a pinch of blood worms or pinch of tropical flakes like 2-3 times a day. And its a pretty big pinch
Old 12-20-2012, 01:07 PM   #5 
Sena Hansler

Freeze dried bloodworms? That's supposed to be a treat, rather than a staple :) It's like giving a child constant chocolate... They become sick. We wouldn't want you to have that happen to your betta fish. Also, though flakes are convenient, I find pellets easier to measure. I feed most of my bettas 2 times a day, with 3 pellets each feeding - asides from some of my fish who have tinier stomachs. Remember their belly is roughly the size of their eye.
Old 12-20-2012, 01:10 PM   #6 
mikechamp23

Quote:
Freeze dried bloodworms? That's supposed to be a treat, rather than a staple :) It's like giving a child constant chocolate... They become sick. We wouldn't want you to have that happen to your betta fish. Also, though flakes are convenient, I find pellets easier to measure. I feed most of my bettas 2 times a day, with 3 pellets each feeding - asides from some of my fish who have tinier stomachs. Remember their belly is roughly the size of their eye.
Oh no, hes been tricking me :p no wonder he starts swimming in circles and basically doing flips when i have the bloodworms in my hands haha.
Old 12-20-2012, 01:26 PM   #7 
Sena Hansler

Exactly! I've got two greedy females, in different tanks, and they snatch more than they should have when I got the thawed bloodworms out
Old 12-21-2012, 04:17 AM   #8 
xEclair3x

That's almost everyone's Betta-they want to eat every time they see you! But don't overfeed Zeus. Like Sena said, he'll develop Swim Bladder Disease/Disorder. That might cause him die from infection, or not being able to surface for air due to being too heavy. But 2 pellets fed twice a day is a good amount. I find that some Betta owners who feed 3 pellets twice per day had theirs develop S.B.D. And 2 Bloodworms fed twice a day is a good measure, too. But only one or the other amount-don't feed him 4 bloodworms per day combined with 4 pellets a day. Zeus' stomach is precisely the size of his eyeball; I think 6 pellets daily is too much.

All Betta owners have their own opinion when it comes to feeding. Some say Bloodworms are a treat, and others use it as a staple food. But keep in mind that Bettas are naturally carnivores; in the wild, they eat insects/ insect eggs, larvae, and fry of other aquatic species. I feed mine Bloodworms for 4 days and flakes for 2. Always skip one day of feeding per week to let his digestive system rest. Mix up his diet- protein and other nutrients are in the live food, and different nutrients are in the pellets. If you can, get him other Betta-safe live foods as well. Bottom line: it's always good for Zeus to have variety in his diet. Good luck!

Last edited by xEclair3x; 12-21-2012 at 04:24 AM.
xEclair3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 08:36 AM   #9 
Sena Hansler

Every betta is different, Eclair :) Like I said some of mine cannot eat as much while the others do and I have never had SBD develop. Also keep in mind the pellet size as my pellets are very small, easy to eat, while most "betta" pellets are awfully large and equal 3 of my pellets.
Old 12-21-2012, 09:03 AM   #10 
xEclair3x

Quote:
Every betta is different, Eclair :) Like I said some of mine cannot eat as much while the others do and I have never had SBD develop. Also keep in mind the pellet size as my pellets are very small, easy to eat, while most "betta" pellets are awfully large and equal 3 of my pellets.
4-5 flakes daily should be good. Sorry, we kept discussing pellets when you said you feed Zeus flakes.

I agree-each Betta is different. I wasn't disagreeing or discrediting what you said; I was giving mikechamp23 a general estimate. But even if the betta pellets are smaller than most ones, he needs to rest from overfeeding right now. And don't worry, the bloodworms are plenty and will make up if don't feed your betta 6 pellets a day in the long-run (whether you used them as a treat or staple food, you're safe and things will balance out.) I'm just giving general, researched, and experienced advice. In the end, it's the best for Mike to take everyone's advice into consideration, research what he wants to know, and make his own decision from there. Only he know his own fish and its needs, wants, and habits. :)

Last edited by xEclair3x; 12-21-2012 at 09:10 AM.
xEclair3x is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta, eating