Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-19-2012, 11:25 PM   #11 
iGoatfish

Well it was time to throw in the towel :( My male who is normally a gentle lover beat her pretty good. I think he was under the impression that there are eggs in the nest from the earlier failed embrace. So my next question is should I start prepping a new femail to rebreed ASAP? Or Should i wait till he has rested for while then retry a new femail?
iGoatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:25 AM   #12 
Oldfishlady

What I would do, I would remove the male to a small container and isolate him...do the same for the female you plan to use. Allow them to see each other for about 5min a day more or less. Mass feed them live foods if you have any over the next 2-3 days. Don't change the water and let it cool down a bit to the 75-76F range.

Make a 50% water change on the spawning tank and add some live plants and tannins-water temp 80F. On day 3-4 add both the male and female to the spawning tank to give them a little shock. When I do this method with my hard to spawn Bettas-I usually will have spawning within an hour to no later than first light the next day.

If you don't want to try the shock method.....Do everything except-then properly acclimate the male to the spawning tank first-then add the female cupped for a day or so or until she show signs of readiness to spawn-then release her.

Some males just won't spawn or are picky about the female and you have to try different methods and females and sometimes...a different male all together....

Good luck...
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 08:25 PM   #13 
iGoatfish

I am defiantly going to try that right now.
Thanks again! It's hard to find good inside tips for breeding. Is there a thread for "hard to breed bettas"?
iGoatfish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
breeding