Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-20-2012, 04:56 PM   #1 
Jessa24

Unhappy Oh No! what should I do?

Well our power went out where I am at. My apartment is all electric so I have no heat until it's back on. So poor Splash has no heat. What should I do? I have nowhere to go until my mom gets home from work which is at 9 o'clock tonight.
Jessa24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 05:19 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

I would boil some water-then dilute it to reach the proper temp. Place the Betta in a small covered container that can float in a container with the proper temp water. Monitor the water temp with an independent thermometer and adjust the water as needed to maintain temp. Make sense....kinda hard to explain....lol....

I wouldn't do this in the tank itself...use a bowl or even a bathroom sink to float the Betta in. If he came in one of those small temporary cups with a lid-this will work great to keep him in-since it is small enough to float in another container. You don't want to change the water or adjust the water temp on the Betta/Betta water he is in-just the water he is floating in...
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 05:29 PM   #3 
twolovers101

I'm assuming your stove and water heater are on electric power also, so the best you could do right now is wrap his tank in a towel or blanket and move it to the warmest part of the apartment. If you can, make sure your complex is notified that you're not getting power to your unit anymore, or have your mom call them to notify them. Usually the complex is told quickly, but if it's just your unit or your section of the complex then you should let them know just in case.
twolovers101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 05:31 PM   #4 
zaphekiel

Don't panic! Water holds heat pretty well, depending on the size of the tank. I would just wrap the tank in a few thick blankets or something similar. (You could always warm up the blankets with your body heat 1st, haha!) I would also unplug everything that way when the power kicks back on you don't have to worry about any other issues. The water will cool slowly and then heat up slowly whenever the power comes back on so your betta should be fine!

I lost power last year for a week and I had 2 parrots and wrapped their cages well and they survived. If you lose power for a long time I'm sure you could get some hand warmer type things to put on the side of the tank if it starts to get too cold.

Good luck and stay warm!
zaphekiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 10:04 PM   #5 
Jessa24

Okay my lights came back on around 7ish. Luckily the water didn't drop too low...it went down to 72. Over the last few hours I have been slowly getting the heat back up in his tank and slowly getting him used to it. I got his filter back up and running. I thinkhe'll be okay but I'll be keeping my eye on him.
Old 12-20-2012, 10:13 PM   #6 
Blue Fish

I'm so glad that everything worked out for you!

One other thing to remember if it ever happens again, heat rises. The warmest part of your apartment will also be the highest. So if you have a book shelf or some other high *safe* place, put him up there. You can also wrap him in one of those thermal tote bags (like they have at some of the grocery stores) or you can keep him in a cooler. All of these will help to insulate his water and keep it warmer, longer.

Hopefully you'll never have to worry about it again, but just in case, I thought I'd add in those tidbits as well. :)
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 11:35 PM   #7 
Jessa24

Now that you say that I remember it does. I will definitely remember if this ever happens again. I am so happy they weren't out for too long because I can do so much but for how long...ya know. I was lucky because I would be so upset if I lost Splash.