Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-12-2012, 01:57 PM   #71 
sunstar93

Yes, humans and dolphins are a couple of the only ones. There are studies being shown that horses and the great apes can recognize themselves. But in my opinion, fish don't understand that they are looking at themselves when they look in a mirror. I think it is because they have a limited brain capacity, capable of really only understanding feelings like pain and content, instincts and recognizing routines (which is why they act excited when they are fed). But that is just my opinion lol
sunstar93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 01:59 PM   #72 
sunstar93

So my little girl Aria died today :( I came home from the university and went to look at her side of the tank....and she was resting in her plant. But then I moved the plant and she had already passed away. I think she had some kind of tumor or something, she had a big black bulge underneath her skin on her right side..my poor little girl :'(

~Sunstar~
Old 12-12-2012, 02:41 PM   #73 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

European magpies pass the mirror test.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:15 PM   #74 
sunstar93

Lol birds are pretty smart creatures too. I forgot to name them as well. There are a lot of animals that can recognize themselves...but in my opinion, fish are not one of them. :\
Old 12-13-2012, 11:07 PM   #75 
sunstar93

So Aria's presence is very much missed...my poor little fishy. Although Toby doesn't seem to care that his tankmate from across the divider is no more. All he knows is that he has a huge home now!
Leo is....frustrating. I'm trying my best!! I've decided I won't give up as long as he won't! His ventral fins are sorta starting to grow back. Except he's scratched his head so much he has patches of missing scales. :\
Also!! Thinking about getting a couple of hermit crabs after the Christmas break (; gonna turn my 10 gallon into a "crabitat" for the hermies and gonna either put Toby back in his 1.5 gallon or maybe get a 5.5 gallon from petsmart.

~Sunstar~
Old 12-14-2012, 04:30 PM   #76 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I saw a video of a crow sledding.
Old 12-21-2012, 12:12 AM   #77 
sunstar93

Cute!

I've been MIA for a while again, lol. So much going on! But Christmas shopping is done (got some very special presents for my parents this year, since they've been amazing helping me get adjusted to college and just supporting me). An update on my boys....
Leo isn't doing well at all. I'm thinking his time might be coming to an end and I'm very Upset about it :( but I hope that he knows I've tried my best! I'm going to keep him comfortable until the end. He's having a hard time knowing where his food is, and if it sinks to the bottom he doesn't even care.
Toby, on the other hand, is pretty much the picture of health! His fins are growing back and I caught him sleeping on one of the moss balls earlier. Cute! He knows when it is feeding time because he sees me lift up the flap on the hood. He also likes to snack on the little Planaria worms that are in the tank. They aren't harmful and he has a good time chasing them lol.
I'm hoping to get a king betta after the holidays. Gonna devot my entire 10 gallon to him! And not sure what I'm gonna do with Toby...maybe divide the tank and give him like 2 gallons worth? Not sure yet but I'll figure something out, I've got time!!
If I don't post soon...have a Merry Christmas(:
~Sunstar~
Old 12-21-2012, 03:33 PM   #78 
Kim

Are you still using distilled water? Distilled water is essentially void of minerals, causing it to be prone to rapid pH fluctuations that can kill fish. Most important, however, is the effect that this purified water has on fish: the fish is essentially living in a very hypotonic solution, which means that the water will constantly be rushing into the body through osmosis in the gills and other exposed areas. This puts immense strain on the kidneys, which must produce copious amounts of very dilute urine to maintain a proper internal osmotic balance.

That being said, with an ammonia reading of .5 ppm, I would continue to use the distilled water with the addition of a mineral supplement (which nullifies the aforementioned problem). In fact, I'd probably use in in all the tanks unless they are cycled - prime will only detoxify ammonia into ammonium for a limited time, so if beneficial bacteria are not available to use the ammonium, the water will eventually become toxic again.

I hope this helps you out and that your fish recovers soon!
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:43 PM   #79 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I would stick with tap and fill the tanks to the top with plants and semi aquatics in filter.
Old 12-24-2012, 10:31 AM   #80 
sunstar93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim View Post
Are you still using distilled water? Distilled water is essentially void of minerals, causing it to be prone to rapid pH fluctuations that can kill fish. Most important, however, is the effect that this purified water has on fish: the fish is essentially living in a very hypotonic solution, which means that the water will constantly be rushing into the body through osmosis in the gills and other exposed areas. This puts immense strain on the kidneys, which must produce copious amounts of very dilute urine to maintain a proper internal osmotic balance.

That being said, with an ammonia reading of .5 ppm, I would continue to use the distilled water with the addition of a mineral supplement (which nullifies the aforementioned problem). In fact, I'd probably use in in all the tanks unless they are cycled - prime will only detoxify ammonia into ammonium for a limited time, so if beneficial bacteria are not available to use the ammonium, the water will eventually become toxic again.

I hope this helps you out and that your fish recovers soon!
No I was only using it at school until I could bring them home for the Christmas break. The water at my parents house is much much better so I don't have to use distiller water. And my 10 gallon is cycled and has 2 moss balls in it so I use prime as conditioner. Thanks for the info though! I put my little guy Leo in the kitchen and decided to enjoy him while he is still here. Stopped all meds and just want him to go peacefully!