betta fish

Old 12-21-2012, 05:33 PM   #11 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

You could buy one plant and split it.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:07 PM   #12 
callistra

I have the same problem. I'm contemplating taking them to the lake..
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 09:15 PM   #13 
NeptunesMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by callistra View Post
I wish I could do that. Iowa has some of the worst water in the world. We have the largest nitrate removal station here because our water is so polluted from pesticides, soil erosion and hog confinements. I have a creek in my backyard, and I thought it would be a nice home for them. But, I realized that they would die once they hit the water from the nitrates. Good luck with yours.
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 09:19 PM   #14 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by callistra View Post
Thats a Felony.
Old 12-22-2012, 11:06 PM   #15 
NeptunesMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoclateBetta View Post
Thats a Felony.
That all depends on the ownership of the lake. There are laws that allow the introduction of certain species into privately owned lakes, as long as precautions are taken to ensure there is no contamination of publicly owned water. That is how some private lakes are stocked with non-native species of fish.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:52 PM   #16 
MaisyDawgThirteen

I wonder if pond snails are considered an invasive species. I know hornwort is.
I have been having a little bit of a pond snail issue as well recently. I decided to downsize from 3 tanks to 2, so that meant taking down my 5.5 gallon natural planted tank. So I didn't have to throw away the plants I got a pot and filled it full of the soil and gravel from the old 5.5, planted a ton of wisteria in it, and put it in my 10 gallon. All the fish love it, and I get to keep my plants. Happy ending! Back to the subject of pond snails, when I was doing this I had left some of the soil with a little bit of water in one of my buckets. I was going to clean it out today, and found a little pond snail. 2 days in maybe 50 mL of water! haha The things are crazy hardy. I love the little guys, they add a bit more life to the tank. I would reccomed waiting for your plants to grow a lot, and trim them into smaller pieces to put into the jars. Or get a bundle of hornwort, as it multiplies like rabbits (or pond snails heehee). If I were you I would be doing 2 water changes a week. Have you thought of getting a smal tank, like 1 gallon or so, and putting all of the snails in it? Or even a plastic tub? It would be easy to clean, and you only have to clean one container instead of seven.
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 10:02 PM   #17 
NeptunesMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaisyDawgThirteen View Post
I wonder if pond snails are considered an invasive species. I know hornwort is.
I have been having a little bit of a pond snail issue as well recently. I decided to downsize from 3 tanks to 2, so that meant taking down my 5.5 gallon natural planted tank. So I didn't have to throw away the plants I got a pot and filled it full of the soil and gravel from the old 5.5, planted a ton of wisteria in it, and put it in my 10 gallon. All the fish love it, and I get to keep my plants. Happy ending! Back to the subject of pond snails, when I was doing this I had left some of the soil with a little bit of water in one of my buckets. I was going to clean it out today, and found a little pond snail. 2 days in maybe 50 mL of water! haha The things are crazy hardy. I love the little guys, they add a bit more life to the tank. I would reccomed waiting for your plants to grow a lot, and trim them into smaller pieces to put into the jars. Or get a bundle of hornwort, as it multiplies like rabbits (or pond snails heehee). If I were you I would be doing 2 water changes a week. Have you thought of getting a smal tank, like 1 gallon or so, and putting all of the snails in it? Or even a plastic tub? It would be easy to clean, and you only have to clean one container instead of seven.
I had a 2.5 g and they all died in it (this was in Aug or Sep). Its been pretty easy with the jars to just move them into the bathroom for water changes, and then back into my room when they are done. I decided instead of having a few with one snail, and others with multiple snails, I would just combine them all into three jars.

I have given up on trying to rid the tank of them. I had all the plants removed and each day I removed the ones that were on the walls of the tank. Each day there were more and more. I realized that it was pointless. So, I have stopped trying to remove them. But, I am still trying to give most my plants the chance to regrow.
Old 12-24-2012, 02:16 PM   #18 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

[quote=NeptunesMom;1359288]That all depends on the ownership of the lake. There are laws that allow the introduction of certain species into privately owned lakes, as long as precautions are taken to ensure there is no contamination of publicly owned water. That is how some private lakes are stocked with non-native species of fish.[/QUOTE As long as you have the owners permission.