Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-21-2012, 07:09 AM   #61 
MSG

Typically

I use.......
  • scratched wine glasses as "FLOATING" observation/hospital tanks for tail damage from fighting.

or if I have several bettas that need treatment, I'll use...

• a 2.5g glass tank divided into 2, 3 or 4 equal sections

When it comes to feeding, it totally depends how often you want to change out the water. If fish is thin feed more, chunky then once every 48 hours in hopes they'll slim down a bit, etc...
  • I prefer to overfeed a varied diet when they're in "treatment" & it seems to make them care less about being stuck in a little container for a week.
  • Depending on my schedule, I try to replace the water every 24-48 hours.

Also, I'm not sure if the medication has any directions/recommendations but if you're using a concentrated dose you may want to do a WC more often.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:34 AM   #62 
callistra

All meds have directions. The directions for Kanaplex is one level scoop (I use the lid to level) every 48 hours for every 5 gallons. So to dillute you can take 5 teaspoons of your tank water into a cup and one level of the kanaplex. Mix it up so it's fully dissolved then take as many teaspoons out as you are in gallons.. so if he's in a 1 gallon quarantine you can take 1 teapoon out and add it to the tank. You can use Prazi and Kanaplex together, but just watch him carefully in case he gets really lethargic then I wouldn't continue treating both together. Prazi will probably take at least 2 weeks to clear anything up based on experience and research, but Kanaplex would work much faster.

He's not bloated at all is he? The pics on the first page suggest he's a little slender. I would continue to feed normally..5-8 NLS a day split up and a fast day a week. I would never overfeed.

Last edited by callistra; 12-21-2012 at 11:40 AM.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 05:00 PM   #63 
rmarkham

Quote:
Originally Posted by callistra View Post
All meds have directions. The directions for Kanaplex is one level scoop (I use the lid to level) every 48 hours for every 5 gallons. So to dillute you can take 5 teaspoons of your tank water into a cup and one level of the kanaplex. Mix it up so it's fully dissolved then take as many teaspoons out as you are in gallons.. so if he's in a 1 gallon quarantine you can take 1 teapoon out and add it to the tank. You can use Prazi and Kanaplex together, but just watch him carefully in case he gets really lethargic then I wouldn't continue treating both together. Prazi will probably take at least 2 weeks to clear anything up based on experience and research, but Kanaplex would work much faster.

He's not bloated at all is he? The pics on the first page suggest he's a little slender. I would continue to feed normally..5-8 NLS a day split up and a fast day a week. I would never overfeed.
He's not bloated at all! I think I'm going try the kanoplex on it's own in a separate tank for a week first.. because I have a feeling it will do the trick. And I'll know much quicker. It should come in the mail later today. If I make a dilution like that, won't the excess lost it's effectiveness? I have a gram scale, so I might do grams/liter to dilute since I'll be using liters to measure how much water is in his tank.

If the Kanomycin doesn't work I'll get my hands on Minocycline which the 3rd generation of tetracycline... but hopefully it won't come to that!

The gram scale is for gecko weights.. not drugs I swear!
rmarkham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 05:50 PM   #64 
Sakura8

Minocycline (brand name Maracyn II) is typically no longer effective in fish because it's been overused and abused. A lot of fish bacteria have built up a resistance to it and in addition, it is very hard on the kidneys. If Kanaplex didn't work, I doubt minocycline will. :/
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 05:53 PM   #65 
callistra

Agreed ^

There are meds that still have potential to work if Kanaplex fails. Maracyn Plus has some potential. However, Kanaplex is generally very effective on eye infections.

When you mix up the meds you'll have to throw away the excess. There's plenty in the tube to last you months of redosing. To treat you take 5 teaspoons of choice of tank water into a little cup and one level (use the lid to level it off) measure of the Kanplex. Mix it up well so that it's dissolved. Then take however many gallons the quarantine tank is... measure in gallons because Kanaplex is measured scoop/5g and if you don't you'll have to do a gallons to liter conversion and it won't be exact. So if it's like 1 gallon you take one teaspoon out to use and toss the rest. If it's 2.5 gallons you take 2.5 teaspoons out; toss the rest.

Last edited by callistra; 12-21-2012 at 06:00 PM.
Old 12-21-2012, 05:57 PM   #66 
rmarkham

Haha, I guess this is what I get for using human antibiotic guidelines for fish, huh?

I'm still waiting for Fed Ex!!! Gah!
Old 12-21-2012, 07:42 PM   #67 
rmarkham

Okay, he's in about 1 gallon of water with the proper dilution of kanaplex! I have a silk plant in there for him and fed him before I put him in there. I'll leave him in there for 48 hours, then do a 100% change and repeat.

Here's a stupid question.. how long will the good bacteria in his main tank survive without an ammonia source? There are plans and pest snails in there.. so I'm assuming the cycle won't crash without him?
Old 12-21-2012, 09:15 PM   #68 
callistra

I don't know if snails will be enough to maintain a cycle.. I would tend to say yes, but hopefully someone else will know more and can comment. You can feed it with drops of pure ammonia from Ace Hardware but be aware you'll have to do a test for nitrates and likely do a very large water change to get rid of them before you add him back.. but again don't know how the snails would fair on that.
Old 12-21-2012, 11:09 PM   #69 
Sakura8

Put a few pellets of food in. That and the snails will help keep the cycle going. You won't lose all your bacteria although you may need to monitor for ammonia spikes for a few days.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 03:44 AM   #70 
rmarkham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
Put a few pellets of food in. That and the snails will help keep the cycle going. You won't lose all your bacteria although you may need to monitor for ammonia spikes for a few days.
Okay, cool.

Should I still do water changes, especially to remove the prazi. (when he goes back to his tank I wanted to give him a break from medications)

Tags
cloudy eye, eye, swollen eye