Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-22-2012, 02:05 AM   #1 
AyalaCookiejar

PayPal

So I just set up a PayPal account under my moms information because I'm only 17, so that I could purchase some females from a trusted member on this site.

Now my mom is freaking out because she "doesn't understand why PayPal needed so much personal information." That including her bank account login to verify it and her social security number, etc... She thinks she is going to have her account drained, now, because they wanted so much information to verify her identity.

Has anyone ever had problems with PayPal?
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 03:28 AM   #2 
djembekah

I haven't had a problem. my dad has been using it for years and its always been good to him too.
Posted via Mobile Device
djembekah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 03:32 AM   #3 
Tikibirds

It's standard procedure nowa days. When I first joined - about 10 years ago, I don't think they asked for all that info. It's a pain in the ass but it's for your own protection as there are MANY scam artists out there and they want to make sure you are not a previous scammer or con artist.

Even if you open a normal bank account these days, the amount of ID and information you need to provide is unreal.

Paypal got in trouble a few years back for taking money from people's bank accounts but I do beleive they lost that lawsuit. it had something to do with if you sold items online and the buyer claimed you never sent the item, they can file a claim to get the money back. If the the money wasn't in the paypal account (as many scammers would take all the money out of the account) then paypal tried to take it from their bank acocunt on file. At least, I think that was what the lawsuit was about.

The only time paypal will take money from your mother's account is if you buy something and you do not have any money avalible in your paypal account, then they will use whatever account is on file - credit card/debit card or bank account.

In many ways, paypal is safer to use because the sellers will never have access to your mother's bank account information or credit card numbers. Millions of people use it worldwide and its the only payment accepted for ebay purchases (which owns paypal).

Last edited by Tikibirds; 12-22-2012 at 03:35 AM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 07:08 AM   #4 
AngelicScars

I'm actually shocked more people aren't using Paypal.....or people that don't know about it.
You need paypal to buy on etsy and ebay. Most online stores take paypal. It's a good way to buy things securely.
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 08:20 AM   #5 
Sena Hansler

It is actually safer. An unauthorized payment was made to a site I no longer use, as they claimed I said I would allow automatic renewal (I never do). I was only trying it out. Plus the password for the site no longer works, and the security questions made no sense to me (aka I have no bank card!!! :s)

It is a lot safer than say, using a credit card. Using a credit card they can easily obtain your information and therefore become "you", scamming you of your money and security.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 09:37 AM   #6 
AyalaCookiejar

Thanks for your answers! I'll have to read all these replies to my mom word-for-word :) I don't want her to delete the PayPal account we just made before I can even pay for my fishies!
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 09:51 AM   #7 
Tikibirds

The only "issue" I had with them is they randomly do this ID verification thing where they limit access to the account till you call them - to make sure it is indeed you. They did it to me twice in one month >.<

Tell your mom she has nothing to worry about. They won't take money unless you use her bank account or whatever to buy things with. Also - you can go to walmart and get a green dot card and add money to your paypal account - that way you won't need to use her bank acount at all to pay for the fishies. It costs $5 to buy the green dot cards.

Youo can also request a debit card from paypal so if you do add money to it, you can use it at any store - justlike a regular debit/credit card.

Last edited by Tikibirds; 12-22-2012 at 09:54 AM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote