Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-20-2012, 04:36 PM   #41 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Semi Aquatic plants in filters really help they also may clean the air depending on the species. My favorite is Pothos.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 04:37 PM   #42 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaltd1 View Post
I'm sure the pet stores use them; the tanks are always perfect w/ no live plants.

UV's kill plants but not fish?
Chocolate, is there a plant filter 'method' or do you just mean live plants? I put as many live plants as possible. I only have 2 purple plastic plants as accents in my purple-themed 5 gal. Purple gravel, purple rock, purple fish!
UVs destroy plant nutrients. I mean like on my thread where I mention growing semi aquatic plants in filters. They can remove more nutrients because there not limited my CO2.
Old 12-22-2012, 03:39 PM   #43 
Xaltd1

OK, things are getting out of control.
I saw a 29 gallon on sale at one of the other Petcos in my area. It was on sale for $89!!!!!!! I traded my 20- gal setup (which was on sale for $65) for the larger tank- it is a kit, adjustable heater and everything. (I won't have space or time to do much about setting up a tank until after Xmas). Then I read a link about "The Walstad Method". Is there a thread about this? I may start one. My local garden center (NOT a big box) actually sells aquatic soil. You're supposed put it in a pot, plant the aquatic plant in the pot, then sink it in your pond. Am I onto something?
Xaltd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 03:40 PM   #44 
Xaltd1

CB, I'm going to check out your link on the plants.
Old 12-22-2012, 04:00 PM   #45 
DragonFish

Ahh, upgrades! Fun stuff!! ;D

That method, as far as I understand, is basically what I and most on the form would refer to as an NPT: Naturally Planted Tank. There is a TON of info about it in the Planted Tanks section of the forum here, as well as a fantastic sticky about how to set one up.
http://www.bettafish.com/forumdisplay.php?f=147
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=114575

You don't need specific Soil made for aquariums by the way. Just all organic potting soil with no additives.
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 04:02 PM   #46 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaltd1 View Post
CB, I'm going to check out your link on the plants.
Okay.
Old 12-22-2012, 04:28 PM   #47 
Xaltd1

Thanks for the links. My gripe w/ potting soil (even organic) is that they all use @#$%* PERLITE. Perlite floats, and I hate that it rises to the top of my houseplants where it looks like a disease or something. I can just imagine it floating in a tank and causing filter problems. This Epsoma aquatic stuff has no peat or perlite and is organic. It's probably mostly crushed Rhyolite. Thanks for all your help!
Old 12-22-2012, 04:41 PM   #48 
DragonFish

Well so long as its all organic without additives, just about any sort of potting soil should be fine. Because I don't see it in most pictures, I do believe most choose ones without Perlite in it, however you're supposed to cap the soil with sand or fine gravel anyway, so that should prevent anything from floating up.

Sure thing. ;) Good luck with your new setup!
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 05:16 PM   #49 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

You cab buy semi-aquatic plants without soil or take a cutting of a plant.
Old 12-22-2012, 05:29 PM   #50 
Xaltd1

CB, did you say that you put plant leaves into your filter compartment instead of a filter (sponge or charcoal), or do you put a leaf or 2 in with the filter?