Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-22-2012, 07:26 PM   #11 
Kithy

Try the betta pellets with garlic. They usually can't resist.

Blood worms are notorious for causing constipation. They're really only just for a treat. If you truly can't get them to eat anything else then maybe just feed them every other day two or three blood worms but try really hard to get them to eat something else.

http://www.petco.com/product/112087/...eCat=LookAhead

This has garlic in it.
Kithy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 07:30 PM   #12 
Xeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kithy View Post
Try the betta pellets with garlic. They usually can't resist.

Blood worms are notorious for causing constipation. They're really only just for a treat. If you truly can't get them to eat anything else then maybe just feed them every other day two or three blood worms but try really hard to get them to eat something else.

http://www.petco.com/product/112087/...eCat=LookAhead

This has garlic in it.
They (blood worms) can be feed more regularly if sufficient fiber is given to them. Again I say, don't feed 2 to 3 bloodworms in one day, sheesh! They'll be much more healthy without daily feasts - just like you would be.
Xeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 07:32 PM   #13 
Kithy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeek View Post
They (blood worms) can be feed more regularly if sufficient fiber is given to them. Again I say, don't feed 2 to 3 bloodworms in one day, sheesh! They'll be much more healthy without daily feasts - just like you would be.
I can say I am guilty of feeding a betta only blood worms and quite a bit more than the OP >_< oh, days before the internet.
Old 12-22-2012, 08:23 PM   #14 
MSG

Flakes are better, but still recommend the pellets.

When you're at the store, look at the price per OZ. For retail locations when they're NOT on sale OSI flakes are roughly $5.50/oz & OSI pellets are $3.80/oz.

Flakes & worms are not good because they're pretty much filled with air which leads to bloating. When worms are dried out the most beneficial nutrients are gone.

Also for flakes ONCE exposed to water, the vitamins & nutrients disperse. If your fish don't eat them IMMEDIATELY within 1-2 seconds, they lose nutritional value the longer the float.

Pellets are better @ keeping the nutrients inside till the fish consumes it.

From your photos & the 1.5" length of your bettas, if they were mine to care for...... I would NOT feed them till 5-7 days from now in hopes their bellies would slim down a bit.

It's totally up to you what type of food to feed. But I would HIGHLY suggest pellets instead.

NLS is the brand I would recommend based on the company's reputation, the CEO, and all the people in the labs who've spent years researching/developing & improving their product. NLS is #1 in my opinion for LOCAL retail foods.

OSI is a good company as well, but they don't really answer questions & their site needs updating. You can't even contact OSI though their email because the link is BROKEN.

Kithy, do you have the Thera-A formula?
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 08:25 PM   #15 
Kithy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG View Post

Kithy, do you have the Thera-A formula?
I do not. The only NLS formula I have is for my Goldfish.
Old 12-22-2012, 10:25 PM   #16 
txbettaowner

Okay. I will try different pellets then but last time I used them they wouldn't take them and they just clouded the water.
txbettaowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 10:22 AM   #17 
Oldfishlady

You would think if it was food related the VT's would be bloated too....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 10:26 AM   #18 
Xeek

Getting them accustomed to pellets would be a good goal, it's more cost effective than frozen food. They probably will spit the flakes out - mine do. My males ignore the flakes.

My sorority got quite obese like yours and even more so because they began feeding on my Corydora's food on the bottom. Fasting them for only 2 days showed their bellies half as big. It doesn't take long. They don't get fat in the way humans do and as fast as their motabolism is it's easy to get them back to normal size. After the first sign of improvement go ahead and continue feeding, but sparingly.
Xeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 01:04 PM   #19 
txbettaowner

I agree oldfishlady. That is what I was thinking but I don't know what else it would be.
txbettaowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 10:39 PM   #20 
Oldfishlady

Since they are otherwise acting okay...it might just be the appearance of enlarged tummy that some CT can have due to body shape and nothing to worry about....Unless they are acting different than the other females that they are kept with....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote