Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-22-2012, 11:50 AM   #1 
SpeakNow13

Clampy finned baby betta

I got a baby betta from Petco on Wednesday, When I got home and tested the ammonia in the water it instantly showed that it was WAY high. I currently have the baby in a 1 gallon bowl about half full until I see that it is getting happier. The fins were clamped when I got it but usually as soon as I but babies in fresher, warm, water and give them a snack and a plant to play in they perk right up. This baby has been sad and clampy for four days now and isnt eating much. He just sits in the top corner looking all sad. I have been feeding it frozen baby brine shrimp and ocassionally ill try crushing up a pellet. Do you guys have any ideas or is there no hope for the little guy :(

Thanks for your help!
SpeakNow13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 12:12 PM   #2 
callistra

How warm is the water? I'd think it would be hard to keep a 1/2 gallon warm unless he's floating in a heatered larger tank.. Tank temp will be about 4 degrees cooler than room temp, based on my personal experience.

There's some things you can do for an adult betta but I'm not sure if they're safe for baby bettas.. Epsom salts can help with ammonia and other chemical poisoning he endured in the cup he was in. Someone else should comment if epsoms are okay for baby bettas..

In a half gallon daily 100% changes are needed. How often are you changing the water?
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 01:00 PM   #3 
SpeakNow13

I do 75-100 percent water changes every day and have a 75 watt heater that goes under the gravel.
SpeakNow13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 03:45 PM   #4 
acadialover

You have a 75 watt heater and gravel in a half gallon ?
acadialover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 07:27 PM   #5 
callistra

That's what I was thinking.. I don't think it's 75w sorry that'd be like for a 20 gallon tank. Are you using an actual in tank thermometer to monitor the temp? If you don't have one you need to get one. I doubt you can successfully heat anything that small without it getting far too hot.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote