Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-22-2012, 04:00 AM   #11 
LittleBettaFish

Anything non-aquatic that is kept submerged for long periods of time is potentially dangerous to your fish. Because such plants can't survive being submersed forever, when they die, they can breakdown and cause issues with water quality.

Terrestrial plants that are grown with only the roots in the tank such as pothos, peace lilies and draceneas are best at removing nitrates from your aquarium. Actual aquarium plants prefer to uptake ammonia over nitrate and so can be useful in tanks that may not be cycled or where there are issues with water quality.

Just do your research before you go out and purchase. Anything that looks like it should be in a pot is probably going to be a terrestrial plant. I don't think a lot of true aquatic plants are variegated either, so if any of the plants you find look like that I would probably pass on them.

Also be aware that some aquatic plants can be grown emersed or submersed and the appearance of them in these forms can be dramatically different. Plants that are grown emersed (common ones are swords and crypts) will usually melt and die back initially when introduced into a tank. However, once they have acclimatised themselves to the change in conditions they will resume growing. Terrestrial plants cannot acclimatise to life underwater and so they will just continue to die off.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 08:19 AM   #12 
homegrown terror

have i been misinformed, or will plant roots also absorb heavy metals, if there are any, from your water and make it safer in that way as well?
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 09:09 AM   #13 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I have heard that too. I have an entire thread on the benefit on Semi-Aquatic plants. Also they even help keep the keeper healthy. Pothos are known for the very large amount of Nitrates they can remove. Anuibus and Java Fern/Moss grow on land in the wild.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 12:57 PM   #14 
LittleBettaFish

I believe duckweed and azolla are able to absorb large amounts of heavy metals from the water without doing harm to the plant itself.

Not too sure on other plants though. I would guess that it would vary from species to species.

Duckweed is great though. I have a tank that sits in full afternoon sun for several hours a day (it is on our outside deck) with some tadpoles in it. I threw in some aquasoil for nutrients, and the duckweed has exploded with growth. The roots on each plant are at least an inch and a half long.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 12:58 PM   #15 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Duckweed is used to treat sewage water.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 11:48 PM   #16 
Saphira101

are amazon swords semi-aquatic?
Saphira101 is offline   Reply With Quote