Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-22-2012, 11:21 AM   #1 
stellar981

Unhappy What is wrong with my betta??

First he gets SBD, that's gone now. Then right after putting him back into his ten gal his fins start to look torn. I got a pre filter (i think that's what it's called) just in case his fin were getting sucked into the intake tube. Then took out the only (soft) plastic plant I have, just in case. Now his fins are showing dark spots on them. I have no idea what's going on. Params were fine weds before the 50%water change. Tank is still cycling. Temp fine. I am at a loss. This is getting frustrating. Haven't had a healthy fish since I got him, pretty much. Please look at the vids and let me know what may be going on.... First is thurs night, second is this morning. Thanks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyNGjEnRl7o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-vN1Dq8fBM
stellar981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 01:15 PM   #2 
callistra

What is the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels of your tank? Since your tank is cycling I presume you're doing daily tests? You should be. And making a water change any time you see .25ppm ammonia - definitely by .5ppm but .25ppm is better.

He looks like he might be biting under stress.. If there are holes in the middle of the fins those are ammonia burns. I can't tell from the video.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 08:31 PM   #3 
stellar981

Quote:
Originally Posted by callistra View Post
What is the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels of your tank? Since your tank is cycling I presume you're doing daily tests? You should be. And making a water change any time you see .25ppm ammonia - definitely by .5ppm but .25ppm is better.

He looks like he might be biting under stress.. If there are holes in the middle of the fins those are ammonia burns. I can't tell from the video.
My parameters are fine. They have also been the same every time I check. Maybe I am reading ammonia wrong? Either way its the same. Since day one. New water has the same params as his tank does today. I assume you take water from the top of the tanks water surface right? I don't see how it could be ammonia burns. There hasn't been enough ammonia in the water. That's why I am frustrated. I feel like I am doing everything right. As far as tail biting I have never seen him do that. Doesn't mean he doesn't when I'm not here. But I'm not quite sure how to get that to stop. Or why he is doing it in thr first place. Maybe he doesn't like being in a ten gallon? I have no idea. But honestly I didn't realize getting a betta fish would be so difficult.
Old 12-22-2012, 08:44 PM   #4 
callistra

What test kit are you using? What is the expiration date? How long has the tank been set up? I would use a drops kit like the one by API and not rely on strips.

He can be biting because he's bored or stressed. Sometimes they bite out of illness but he doesn't look sick. He may be able to see himself in the sites of the tank.. you can try wrapping it in some opaque and non shiny paper.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 08:53 PM   #5 
stellar981

Quote:
Originally Posted by callistra View Post
What test kit are you using? What is the expiration date? How long has the tank been set up? I would use a drops kit like the one by API and not rely on strips.

He can be biting because he's bored or stressed. Sometimes they bite out of illness but he doesn't look sick. He may be able to see himself in the sites of the tank.. you can try wrapping it in some opaque and non shiny paper.
I am using the API kit. Exp in 2017. Tank was setup about a month and a half ago but he was out of it for SBD treatment for 10 days. So I think it restarted the cycle. No signs of ammonia or nitrites yet. The ammonia looks more yellow on the test maybe a tad green. I have no idea. But it's been this way since day one, which is why I noted no change. He was in this tank except for that ten days, no idea why he'd be stressed all of a sudden.
Old 12-22-2012, 09:06 PM   #6 
Tikibirds

Welcome to the tail bitters club.

I think that's what's going on. From the video, he does not look sick at all nor do I think he has fin rot. he has alot of finnage and he may be bitting it just because he can OR he may be bored or stressed.

Ie he is loosing massive amount of fin in a short period like a few hours or overnight - most likely he is snacking on himself.

I have a VT that bites his fins off every time I change the water and I used to have a halfmoon that bit his fins off - just because he could. I tried him in everything from a 1 gallon up to a 10 gallon and nothing really made a difference. Eventually I gave up and just assumed he wanted to be a crowntail because that's what he looked like.

Just keep an eye on it to make sure fin rot does not develop. Stress coat or krodon fish protector will help fins regrow but he needs to stop nomming them first.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 10:16 PM   #7 
stellar981

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikibirds View Post
Welcome to the tail bitters club.

I think that's what's going on. From the video, he does not look sick at all nor do I think he has fin rot. he has alot of finnage and he may be bitting it just because he can OR he may be bored or stressed.

Ie he is loosing massive amount of fin in a short period like a few hours or overnight - most likely he is snacking on himself.

I have a VT that bites his fins off every time I change the water and I used to have a halfmoon that bit his fins off - just because he could. I tried him in everything from a 1 gallon up to a 10 gallon and nothing really made a difference. Eventually I gave up and just assumed he wanted to be a crowntail because that's what he looked like.

Just keep an eye on it to make sure fin rot does not develop. Stress coat or krodon fish protector will help fins regrow but he needs to stop nomming them first.
Thank you for the info. Stinks tho that he started this :( he's no longer the pretty fish I purchased. What do you think the dots are?? On the tail? That was weird for me to find Thursday. But I didn't throw him into aquarium salt bc I didn't want to stress him more. I honestly just ordered a 5 gallon. Gonna see if he seems happier. If not ill put him back. He did pretty well in the hospital 2.5. So it makes me wonder. I gotta at least try... Now u mentioned stress coat. I did some reading about that. I read conflicting info about it. First since it is a water conditioner, it won't hurt to add it in between water changes, in addition to my other water conditioner? And how much do you add? Enough for ten gal or less since its not being used as the conditioner? Second, some info I read said its not even necessary to use it. That prime should do the trick. So I don't know what to do. I just want him to get better! Fish keeping is definitely not easy. Pet stores really try to do what they can to make it look easy. I'm glad I came here for info and didn't count on them!
Old 12-22-2012, 10:37 PM   #8 
Tikibirds

Dots? I must of missed those. Not ure what they would be. Are they fuzzy or do they look like grains of salt?

Stress coat can be used as a water conditioner and/or to help with fins/scale regrowth. I use it as a conditioner since it can be found at walmart as well as pet stores. The directions say to use 2X the dosage if being used as a medicinal aid. So if you have a 5 gallon and you want to treat torn fins you would fill the cap up which is for 10 gallons.

I have Prime and that is also a popular option for water conditioner. I know it can neturlize ammonia, nitrite and nitrate but not sure what else it may do. I dont care for Prime because it stinks horrible of..I don't know but it smells bad. LOL
Honestly - clean, warm water is really all you need. I just happen to have a bunch of stuff on hand because I drove from alaska to New York with my bettas, so I bough Amquel plus and Krodon fish protector which are supposed to be good to use for shipping.

I'm wondering - how much decor did he have in the original tank and how much did he have in the hospital tank? Sometimes they dont like empty spaces. If you get one of those big, leafy, oversized silk plants - that might help.

My HM started bitting after I did a water change and fell asleep before I released him from the cup he was acclimating in After that, he was a bitter till the day he died. I think his fins might of been too heavy or something.

Last edited by Tikibirds; 12-22-2012 at 10:40 PM.
Old 12-22-2012, 10:52 PM   #9 
stellar981

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikibirds View Post
Dots? I must of missed those. Not ure what they would be. Are they fuzzy or do they look like grains of salt?

Stress coat can be used as a water conditioner and/or to help with fins/scale regrowth. I use it as a conditioner since it can be found at walmart as well as pet stores. The directions say to use 2X the dosage if being used as a medicinal aid. So if you have a 5 gallon and you want to treat torn fins you would fill the cap up which is for 10 gallons.

I have Prime and that is also a popular option for water conditioner. I know it can neturlize ammonia, nitrite and nitrate but not sure what else it may do. I dont care for Prime because it stinks horrible of..I don't know but it smells bad. LOL
Honestly - clean, warm water is really all you need. I just happen to have a bunch of stuff on hand because I drove from alaska to New York with my bettas, so I bough Amquel plus and Krodon fish protector which are supposed to be good to use for shipping.

I'm wondering - how much decor did he have in the original tank and how much did he have in the hospital tank? Sometimes they dont like empty spaces. If you get one of those big, leafy, oversized silk plants - that might help.

My HM started bitting after I did a water change and fell asleep before I released him from the cup he was acclimating in After that, he was a bitter till the day he died. I think his fins might of been too heavy or something.
Check the video. I think the dots are pretty easy to see. They are actually dark, not like salt. But he is white, so how I'd determine ick on him, who knows! These dots are only on the tail fin. Not the upper and lower fins. Its odd...

The tank he's in now has all the original decor. His hospital tank only had a cup to hide in. Which he rarely used. He spent a lot of time by the heater on the surface. When he wasn't moving around. He's a very active fish. Which is why I don't get why he is biting and acting up. I guess I will get some of that stress coat to have on hand and see if it helps him. As long as using both cant hurt.
Old 12-23-2012, 07:30 AM   #10 
Tikibirds

Hmmm...I'm not sure what the dots are. I know some parasites can look like dots but I assume they would move.
I would keep an eye on him - just in case. Maybe natural coloring? I have some whiteish fish with spots.