Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-23-2012, 03:05 AM   #1 
allaboutfish

2 female bettas in a 5 gallon?

Is this ok? Probably would need a divider.
allaboutfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 07:18 AM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

People do it, personally I wouldn't divide anything smaller than a 10g but that's me. I like my Bettas to have at least 5g for their permanent homes. If you do do it make sure its really well anchored & I would make it non see through.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 08:22 AM   #3 
carbonxxkidd

I have two males in a 5g with a divider. It's working out great for me so far.
carbonxxkidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 08:25 AM   #4 
shellieca
Reference Team

I just retread your subject line & you said females. If you can get at least a 10g you could do a sorority of 5 -6 females which IMO would be easier to maintain.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 08:45 AM   #5 
Friendlyfishies

Ive done the 5g divided, it wasnt terrible, I personally wasnt happy with the minimal space on each side but it did and wouldve worked, in the long run, I just got tired of doing the water changes (i didnt cycle the tank tank prior)...Im really happy with individual 10gals though :)
Friendlyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 11:08 AM   #6 
allaboutfish

I already have the 5gallon so that's what I'm using.
Old 12-23-2012, 11:25 AM   #7 
callistra

I would divide it and not keep them together, as said above you need larger schools and a larger tank to put females together safely.. or at least safe enough to try.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 11:27 AM   #8 
DragonFish

You COULD divide the 5 gallon for two females, but because females tend to be so much spunkier and more active with their shorter fins, giving just one female the whole tank would probably be a little more ideal.

If you do decide to go ahead and divide, or if you have the females already, make your own divider. Its a lot easier, cheaper, and more stable then those store bought ones.
http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/d...ividers-21866/
I use this method for all my dividers, except I use two sheets of craft mesh and double up, then do a little bit of trimming and more exact fitting so the divider fits snugly without bending. This seems to work very well for me.....makes the divider a little more straight and stable, plus is less see-through.

Females are VERY good little jumpers, so you'll want your divider to come nice and high, almost touching/touching the hood if you can. You may want to put up a jump guard(just a long piece of craft mesh laying flat over the length of the divider that extends an inch or two over each section to help stop them from jumping over)as well to be safe.
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 11:33 AM   #9 
allaboutfish

I actually use that kind of dividers for my 2 males in my 10 gallon.