Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-22-2012, 05:30 PM   #1 
Xeek

Juvenile attempts suicide...

I took the glass lid off and as I do every day began feeding my sorority. I have a younger girl who as if she were a dolphin got a head start and proceeded to jump up and OUT of the tank!

She landed in a bucket I use for water changes and I quickly put water in there and poured her back in.

She looks ok, she's shook up, dirty, and clamped up, but swimming. Hope she does ok, she's one of my favorites since I raised her from a baby.

Lesson here is to feed them further back from the tank edge.
Xeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 08:09 PM   #2 
veggiegirl

Hey there,

wow lucky you were able to get her back into the tank quickly, some bettas get a little over excited at feed times, I had a male that would leap up to 15cm out of the water and grab a blood worm I was holding. One day he jumped and landed on the lid of the tank next door. Before I had a chance to do anything he jumped back into his own tank. I am sure your girl will be fine, she just needs a bit of time to recover from her ordeal
veggiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 09:50 AM   #3 
Xeek

Today she's improved a lot. She's swimming around normal speed (my smallest fastest sportiest betta). Her tail fin is still clamped, but she's back to using her pectoral fins. She comes out for food too.

She was out of the water for about 2 minutes, which isn't as serious for a betta (they breathe air). I was much more worried about her impact in the bucket. The bucket had a lot of other stuff I use for water changes and 2 breeder boxes for storage so It took me 2 minutes to find her all around the floor and in the bucket.

Her color is also returning to normal. She got dark, with a white bottom and stress stripes.
Xeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 11:55 AM   #4 
SolomonFinch

Hope she continues to improve! :)
SolomonFinch is offline   Reply With Quote