Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-23-2012, 02:38 PM   #1 
bettaluver14

Exclamation Neon Tetras!!

I just bought my lonely male VT betta, Zuko, a neon tetra yesterday from Petsmart :) i'm off to get 2 or 3 more cause neon tetras need to be in schools and am also going to buy zuko and his friends a bigger tank, a 5gal.(he's now in a 2.5gal). I went to walmart(NEVER BUY FISH FROM THERE!!!) yesterday and there was a wrong tag and i accidentally bought a glofish aka Danio, which bettas and danios harass each other. so right now, i have a brght pink glofish that is scared outta their mind because Zuko is nipping, chasing, and flaring at him/her. Poor little fella. I'm hoping the Danio will try to school with the other tetras once i get them; do you think he/she will?
Also, the Tetra, Sokka, is really scared and staring at his reflection; thinking it's another tetra. I am off to get him more friends and hopefully he will fine then. But i have a problem i'm worried about... they aren't eating!!! Well, Zuko is perfectly fine. but the glofish, Katara, and Tetra, Sokka, aren't eating at all!!! is this b/c they're scared? will they eventually eat??? i've been trying so many times to feed them. do you think once Sokka has friends around, he will eat with them? please help i need as much info as possible!!
bettaluver14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 02:41 PM   #2 
isochronism

Have ever been schooled yourself???
isochronism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 02:43 PM   #3 
bettaluver14

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by isochronism View Post
Have ever been schooled yourself???
what?
Old 12-23-2012, 02:55 PM   #4 
DragonFish

You've definitely gotten into a big of a pickle here....Lets see what we can do about straightening things out a little. ;)

First of all, your Glofish and tetra are likely not eating because they're stressed being stuck in such a small and I assume uncycled space without friends with an aggressive male betta who is likely harassing them both. Is your tank filtered? Heated? If so, what is the current temp?

But you have a planned upgrade, and you do get that tetras need to school, so you've got the right idea.....however, in order to house a proper school of any small tetra species like neon, with or without a betta, you will need at least a 10 gallon with a minimum of 5-6 tetras for a school. Your Glofish will not school with your neons however, and even in a 10 gallon a proper neon school of 5-6 with your betta maxes out your stocking. In order to provide enough space for two proper schools of fish, you're looking at a 20-30 gallon at least.

However as you stated Glofish, the genetically altered form of a Zebra Danio, aren't good tankmates for bettas as they are very quick and nippy. I would highly suggest just returning your glofish, or seeing if you can find someone to house him for you.
Unless you can bump that 5 gallon upgrade up to a 10 gallon, it would be best to go ahead and return/rehome the neon as well. 5 gallons is just not enough space to support a proper school along with a betta I'm afraid.
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 02:55 PM   #5 
isochronism

It's like you and a young (angry) Mike Tyson together in an elevator in Brooklyn NY.....
isochronism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 08:58 PM   #6 
bettaluver14

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonFish View Post
You've definitely gotten into a big of a pickle here....Lets see what we can do about straightening things out a little. ;)

First of all, your Glofish and tetra are likely not eating because they're stressed being stuck in such a small and I assume uncycled space without friends with an aggressive male betta who is likely harassing them both. Is your tank filtered? Heated? If so, what is the current temp?

But you have a planned upgrade, and you do get that tetras need to school, so you've got the right idea.....however, in order to house a proper school of any small tetra species like neon, with or without a betta, you will need at least a 10 gallon with a minimum of 5-6 tetras for a school. Your Glofish will not school with your neons however, and even in a 10 gallon a proper neon school of 5-6 with your betta maxes out your stocking. In order to provide enough space for two proper schools of fish, you're looking at a 20-30 gallon at least.

However as you stated Glofish, the genetically altered form of a Zebra Danio, aren't good tankmates for bettas as they are very quick and nippy. I would highly suggest just returning your glofish, or seeing if you can find someone to house him for you.
Unless you can bump that 5 gallon upgrade up to a 10 gallon, it would be best to go ahead and return/rehome the neon as well. 5 gallons is just not enough space to support a proper school along with a betta I'm afraid.
yes, i have a heater and a filter, as of right now; the temp is 78. i just brought home 2 more neon tetras and the other tetra is SO happy! The lady at petsmart who worked in the fish department said a school of at least 3...they're staying in formation and are so happy! the Danio actually is in the school too lol which gave me a suprise.. and; they're eating!!!! xD Zuko seems to enjoy the company, except for the spastic Danio who won't stop swimming hahaa. but now, everyone seems perfectly fine. Yah i've been searching as much as possible to find a good tank.... i found a 5.5gal at petsmart... would that work?
Old 12-23-2012, 09:23 PM   #7 
DragonFish

Well....you're definitely way way overstocked in that 2.5 gallon. Even with a single fish its very difficult to establish a stable cycle in that size of a tank, and with five you are going to be running into some MAJOR ammonia issues within the next couple of days. For now, make 50-75% partial changes daily and treat with a good conditioner like prime to help battle the ammonia. If you can, at the very least pick up a liquid ammonia test so you can keep an eye on that, though a full kit would be better if you can get your hands on one. Stay away from the test strips, they have a tendency to be inaccurate.

Its always a good idea to take the advice of pet store employees with a grain of salt; they are very poorly educated, and sadly do not give very good advice most of the time, like now. The minimum for a good proper school of tetras is 5-6. Of course any number will school together, but in order for them to thrive and have a quality life, you need a proper school. Remember; surviving is not thriving, there is a difference. Just because they may appear 'fine' does not mean they are truly thriving.

Please return or rehome the Glofish. Like I said, they are not proper tankmates for bettas and do need their own school as well. Its probably trying to school with the tetras because 1: Its lonely and desperate and 2: because you have them in such a small space, there isn't much room TO swim away from them....it may not even be that its schooling with them truly, it may just have nowhere else to swim.

Also like I mentioned before, 5 gallons is not enough space to support a proper school of tetras with or without your betta. While a 5 gallon is a wonderful betta home, when you start looking into other spices of fish it is actually a very small aquarium, much too small for all but a select few species.....and tetras aren't one of them.
If you really want to keep these tetras, you need to get at least a 10 gallon tank and 2-3 more of them. If you can't get anything larger then a 5/5.5 then its best that you return or rehome them.....most stores have a 2 week return policy on fish, so you should be able to take them back without any issues.
Old 12-23-2012, 10:01 PM   #8 
bettaluver14

Exclamation

wow thanks!!! yeah i'm planning on going tomorrow to get a bigger tank.... whether it's a 5.5 or larger. the thing is that people in walmart are so stupid!!! our cashier didn't even ring up the glofish so now we can't return it! what should i do with her?
Old 12-23-2012, 10:12 PM   #9 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Take it to an aquarium club.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 10:22 PM   #10 
DragonFish

You're very welcome. :)

Try and get that 10 gallon setup if you can. I do believe the kits are just a few more dollars, but you'll probably have to upgrade your heater too. IMO though, if you can, its definitely worth it.
Also see if you can pickup a liquid testing kit....might seem a little pricey, but it gives you 800 tests and will help you out a LOT through the cycling process and afterwards. Always a wonderful and necessary thing to have on hand, and worth every penny in the long run.

Whether you get the 5.5 or 10, you're going to want to look into the nitrogen cycle and the process involved. Here are some great links that'll help explain it.
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=66595
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=47838
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=107771

Do you or your family/friends know anyone who could possibly house your Glofish properly? At the very least in a larger setup with a few other Zebra Danios? Ask around and see if you can find a nice home for her.
Besides that.....the most ideal option would be a 20-30 gallon setup where you can provide her with her own school(and probably just best to keep your betta in the 2.5 in that case), but if thats not even an option then worst case scenario as a last resort is that you have hang onto her. Its not perfect, and not at all ideal or recommended, but sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do....