Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-23-2012, 09:49 PM   #1 
bettaluver14

Arrow Need bigger tank...help!

I have my VT male betta, Zuko, in a 2.5gal tank with a filter and heater; which is good. But i've been wanting to upgrade him, and he needs it. He lives with 3 neon tetras; and that makes things crowded. i was interested in gettting him a 5gal at walmart that has a LED light too, which would be nice. i don't trust online buying/websites. does anyone know of any good, cheap $ tanks i could get that are at LEAST 5gal? maybe at places like Petco,Petsmart, or walmart?
Thanks :3 i wanna give Zuko plenty of room and a happy life :3
bettaluver14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 09:51 PM   #2 
callistra

Neon tetras need to be kept in schools of 5-6 minimum and to do that you need at least a 10 gallon. In fact tetras just plain need a 10 gallon.. How long have you had them in that 2.5g? I'm shocked they're alive.. They are very sensitive fish that cannot handle any amount of ammonia so they should only be kept in a very well establed tank. 2.5g will never be fully established because it's too small. They also need lots of space to move.

Rehome them asap to someone who has a place for them or they won't live. When you have a fully established 10 gallon then you can add them back.

You can get cheap glass rectangular tanks at petco, made by Aqueon. They also had glass lids and various other light hoods. You can also find kits there. The kits tend to have really strong filters that need to be baffled and prefiltered though.

Last edited by callistra; 12-23-2012 at 09:54 PM.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 09:52 PM   #3 
Armyguy03

I ended up with a 10 gallon set from Walmart because they were only a few dollars more. The filter was a bit strong, even when baffled for Brad Pitt so I swapped it out for a AC2.
Armyguy03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 09:58 PM   #4 
bettaluver14

Exclamation

Yeah i'm trying to get something big and cheap as quick as possible! :(
I will go out tomorrow and DEFINITELY get a bigger one.
i hope the poor guys live till then. i'm very short on $$ so i will check and post a url to ask if a tank i find is decent.
THANKS!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-23-2012, 10:03 PM   #5 
bettaluver14

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by callistra View Post
Neon tetras need to be kept in schools of 5-6 minimum and to do that you need at least a 10 gallon. In fact tetras just plain need a 10 gallon.. How long have you had them in that 2.5g? I'm shocked they're alive.. They are very sensitive fish that cannot handle any amount of ammonia so they should only be kept in a very well establed tank. 2.5g will never be fully established because it's too small. They also need lots of space to move.

Rehome them asap to someone who has a place for them or they won't live. When you have a fully established 10 gallon then you can add them back.

You can get cheap glass rectangular tanks at petco, made by Aqueon. They also had glass lids and various other light hoods. You can also find kits there. The kits tend to have really strong filters that need to be baffled and prefiltered though.
I found this on the Walmart website.. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Regent-10-...-1-ct/10312733 i already have he correct filter and heater for the size too...
Old 12-23-2012, 10:24 PM   #6 
Kuro

if you get a hood and light for it that work really nice for you betta and neons
Kuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 10:27 PM   #7 
callistra

Yeah they have those at walmart and similar ones for similar price at petco.

Tetras probably won't survive the cycling process and your betta may need a baffle on the filter and should have a prefilter sponge on the intake tube if you're using an HOB.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 10:32 PM   #8 
Armyguy03

Mine was 29 bucks and had it all, pretty decent. However, the more I hang around this forum, I'm tempted to get an even bigger tank for Brad Pitt. In a few years I'll likely get a 20 for just one Betta and really go all out on the decor.
Armyguy03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 10:56 PM   #9 
SDragon

I have a question. My filter is too strong for my tank, so what do I use to baffle it and where do I buy it?
SDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 11:01 PM   #10 
Kuro

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDragon View Post
I have a question. My filter is too strong for my tank, so what do I use to baffle it and where do I buy it?
there's a stickied post of this section of the forum titled step by step filter baffle...all you need is a water/clean pop bottle
Kuro is offline   Reply With Quote