Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-23-2012, 07:50 PM   #1 
Artist with a betta

Gravel

First let me just say I'm so glad to be a part of this forum, so I can see,learn, and complain about all things Betta related.

Anyway, I had a whole 2 pounds of gravel in my tank since I had it. I just took out the majority of it and left only enough to cover the bottom. It seem like no matter how much I cleaned the tank it look like there was a lot of dust and mess in there. So I took out the extra gravel and put it in a Ziplock bag and noticed how much food/poop/who knows what else. Now the water is crystal clear, and he has some more swim space, it also looks like a strangers tank. I realize at this point I'm just ranting (I'm Irish it's in my blood). Before every time I changed his water he would have little specks of the gravels paint on him. But back to the question Am I better off with out the extra, and could the abnormally amount of particles in his tank be caused by all the extra gravel.
Artist with a betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 08:13 PM   #2 
bethyMT

You probably could do without the extra gravel, especially if you don't have anything planted in it (live plants I mean).

Do you have a gravel vac? I know fluval sells the one I have at petsmart...that thing starts its own suction and has an attachment so i don't suck up substrate. Really, gravel vacuuming is the only way to get the stuff out of the gravel. And, a lot of nasty waste stuff collects in the water near the bottom of the tank too.

Gravel vacs would also help get those paint chips out of there. The chipping is why I decided to go with "natural" polished stone gravel and planting substrate in my tanks. While the chips aren't harmful (I don't think), they sure are annoying.

Depending on the size of the tank, you could use a turkey baster too to suck out the poop, but that seems tedious to me.

HTH
bethyMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 08:19 PM   #3 
Artist with a betta

I have a gravel shippon to get the water and the majority of waste out of it. As much as I hate saying this I have to suck on it to start it off. I got it for like 7 dollars at the local pet store.
Old 12-23-2012, 08:23 PM   #4 
bethyMT

Well, if you're already siphoning out stuff on a fairly frequent basis, that extra gravel was probably the culprit. Good riddance to it! You'll get used to how it looks soon.

If you still get all kinds of gunk with the gravel reduced, you probably need to increase your water changes/siphons.
bethyMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 10:30 PM   #5 
Armyguy03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artist with a betta View Post
I have a gravel shippon to get the water and the majority of waste out of it. As much as I hate saying this I have to suck on it to start it off. I got it for like 7 dollars at the local pet store.
No way you could get me to do that ^, your a lot braver than I.
Armyguy03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 11:05 PM   #6 
Artist with a betta

Well actual the tube is really long so by the time the suction factor starts your normally good to go, but don't get me wrong I have accidentally tasted fish water a time or two before (it's not as bad as you would think).

Last edited by Artist with a betta; 12-23-2012 at 11:10 PM.
Old 12-23-2012, 11:08 PM   #7 
Artist with a betta

(It's still pretty bad though).
Old 12-23-2012, 11:19 PM   #8 
Armyguy03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artist with a betta View Post
(It's still pretty bad though).
Oh man, not even once. A tube would never get remotely close to my mouth. Thanks for a good chuckle though.
Armyguy03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 12:40 AM   #9 
Blue Fish

LOL! It sounds like you and I have similiar vacumns. I hated mine with a vengeance for forever, because I NEVER could get the suction started, no matter how much I "pumped". I finally realized that if you use a turkey baster, you can start the suction without having to put your mouth on it. Just make a tight seal between the tube and the turkey baster, and suck it a time or two with the baster, and you'll get your suction going. Just make sure that you've squeezed the bulb on the turkey baster and are holding it "squished" in your hand before attaching to the hose, otherwise you're just pumping air *into* the hose instead of out of it.

I hope that helps!! :)
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote