Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Meet the Betta Keepers
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-22-2012, 12:30 AM   #1 
SolomonFinch

Red face Amateur Home Aquarist/betta Noob

Hi...from NC!
On a whim, we purchased an adorably tiny fancy goldfish that grew (and grew!) and captured our hearts and wallet.
We were totally against another fish commitment, as we stepped up to the responsibility of our new home aquarium and its demand... out of love, but also out of financial drain to keep up with our finned family members needs.
So we are walking thru *Mart, looking for yet again more cartridges...and spot the loneliest, most forlorn lil fishie in the world....in a tiny plastic bowl. Of his own waste. I pick him up, and he raises all his spikey fins ready to fight. Instant
So now that we have brought that Betta home, and he is flourishing (yes, I have read BettaTalk, he is no show fish or whathaveyou...just a mutt) I find myself cleaning said plastic bowls hiding from security cameras, etc whenever I enter a store that obviously practices what I believe is animal cruelty.
Fanatic? A bit, yes.
(BTW- I switch from "we" to "I"....to differentiate between my husband and myself)
Our Betta is a male CrownTail. He was to be our last fish/aquarium.
Until about 5 hours ago.
Granted, I ran into several gorgeous Bettas tonight, some did not even appear to be "mutts". However, one tiny, tiny little girl, a crowntail...very mutty... caught my heart heavily.
I was very good. Hubby reminded me of will power. But I liked her style, no matter how tiny. Betta's have attitude. Even in those horrid store living conditions, you can just SENSE some of their personalities.
I came home, read up on keeping female bettas together, decided against it as she is so tiny....
I am not sure any bettas should be kept together, I am a total noob, but erring on the side of caution is better than erring completely.
Long story short, I will be in line at 8 am, looking for my little punk rocker, and chastising myself for having to buy another proper set up.
I know I am the Crazy Fish lady. I could go on and on about that, but I am sure someone here will understand what I mean.
I was wondering if anyone else has (as I am sure I will).... several 1-5-10-30 gallon tanks all over their homes?
Bettas are so fiesty and fun, and require so little except stimulation and good care, I am afraid I will have tiny aquariums everywhere... they are rapidly becoming my favorite finned friends.
Well, that is all. Nice to be here!
SolomonFinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 01:50 AM   #2 
hannah16

Hello.

You sound like me! LOL..

I hadn't had bettas in more than a year when I purchased one from a breeder. He was my first. Then I ended up rescuing two very small CT girls from certain death at PETCO. They've been doing well. Then I saved two bettas from my local Walmart. First was my Pink/Purple/Red VT M and a CT M that was at Walmart for more than a month, I had found him TWICE in filthy water when I finally purchased him.

Then I ended up with two more from the same breeder as my first, and two from Petsmart and then my BF surprised me with an EE (Elephant ear, large finned) from PETCO...

We now have 10 bettas in roughly a month and a half. Perhaps less. And I'm thinking about getting at least two more. Right now, all mine are in 1-2 gallons of water in my warmest bedroom with 100% daily water changes. Once I have extra cash I will start upgrading everyone.

It's really easy to keep MANY bettas as long as it's at least 1 gallon of clean water in a warm room with proper plants and food. I personally like the castles that PETCO sells for like $6-$10 for decor so they have something to move around in instead of just a plant for the time being.

Tehe.. I can so see you ending up with 10 bettas. It's HARD not getting them when they just stare... like.. "Please save me.. Take me home".

Especially for me at the PETCO that is farther from my house. The first time I stopped there they had 8!!! Dead bettas... So when I get the look I just can't say no. I said no at Walmart to an Orange VT and no to a few others which I regret.. But I pray they found good homes.

Congrats and welcome to Betta World. You've officially been bitten by the betta fish ;3!

Last edited by hannah16; 12-22-2012 at 01:54 AM.
hannah16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 11:39 PM   #3 
SolomonFinch

Thanks Hannah! Very sweet of you. I posted a new thread somewhere (im new to this) about my adventure today. I think you will laugh at me ;)
Old 12-23-2012, 09:41 AM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum and to the wonderful world of Betta keeping.....

Nice to meet you....

Be sure and post questions in the proper section for best response.....

Enjoy your stay....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 09:55 AM   #5 
shellieca
Reference Team

Welcome! A year ago I had NO aquariums which means no Bettas, now I have 5 tanks, well 6 if you count the QT tank currently housing a female I bought a week ago who had Ich. I have 3 males in 10g individual tanks, 1 male in a 5.5g each with a Mystery snail & a 46g housing 11 (soon to be 12) females, 2 CAE's & a mystery snail. Every time I go to a store I swear no more but I keep coming home with them! They are an addiction.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 01:21 AM   #6 
SolomonFinch

Thank you Shellica and OldFishLady :) I appreciate the kindness. I am new to forums, so please excuse my total ignorance :)