Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-23-2012, 09:32 AM   #11 
shellieca

What size tank do you have? If its a 10g or larger you could keep the female, get a few more & have a sorority.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 09:33 AM   #12 
bryanacute

Your welcome and good luck. If u have any questions you can PM either one of us.
bryanacute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 09:36 AM   #13 
mrspickless

Its just under 20 gallons.. she is not quite as happy with other fish as the male.. she is a little nippy,though he has gone down in my estimations today.. now looking at me as if to say "what have you done with my chick?" What other fish will I eventually be able to put in with him If I keep him? Can I have smaller fish or not? Besides the lfs only had that one female...

Last edited by mrspickless; 12-23-2012 at 09:39 AM.
mrspickless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 09:38 AM   #14 
bryanacute

http://www.bettafish.com/forumdispla...ysprune=&f=102 this is an entire section dedicated to compatibility
Old 12-23-2012, 09:40 AM   #15 
mrspickless

Thanks
Old 12-23-2012, 09:41 AM   #16 
bryanacute

Your welcome. If you read around there it should give you some good info.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:44 AM   #17 
shellieca

20g is a great sized tank! Tank mates can't look like a Betta in that they shouldn't be brightly colored or have long flowy fins. Bottom feeders such as Otos or Cory's are a good choice. Hopefully others with more experience with males & tank mates can better answer your question. My males only share their tanks with a Mystery snail & my 46g has 11 (soon to he 12) female Bettas with 2 Chinese Algae eaters (not for a 20g) & a Mystery snail.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:50 AM   #18 
mrspickless

Im veering towards keeping the female and getting more pretty females to join her.. as I want plenty of color.. very confusing .. what makes it worse.. because of my lack of knowledge.. is that I have a couple of guppies.. and one is quite bright. However this male seems really used to him and is fine with him... the female was not so happy about them. Should just take them all out and start again !!!

Last edited by mrspickless; 12-23-2012 at 09:54 AM.
Old 12-24-2012, 05:22 AM   #19 
mrspickless

I took back the male and then was told not to keep females Bettas together and that males and females should be fine together.. she had a tank with a pair in which really confused the heck out of me. The male was not in good shape either so feel terrible about it ..
Old 12-24-2012, 08:00 AM   #20 
shellieca

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrspickless View Post
I took back the male and then was told not to keep females Bettas together and that males and females should be fine together.. she had a tank with a pair in which really confused the heck out of me. The male was not in good shape either so feel terrible about it ..
A sorority of females can work if the tank is set up correctly but there is always potential for conflict simce they are Bettas. Keeping a male & female together is not a good idea unless they're breeding. Some people are hard headed so just do what you know is best, that's all you can do.