Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-12-2012, 06:47 PM   #91 
PeteWentzGirl518

Curious~*

Hi everyone! I just thought I'd add my own little story to this thread,

It was approximately two weeks ago when I entered my local petco and discovered "baby bettas". I was surprised that they sold them so young, and I bought a very cute almost Cambodian looking one. I named him/her Diamond. I bought them for the surprise.

A few days later -maybe a week- Diamond passed away. I wondered what it was that I had done wrong. After I bought him, I researched what I was supposed to do with him to keep him alive (as he could not eat the big pellets). I didn't find much.

Not long after, I purchased two Crowntails, a girl and a boy. The girl is named Felicity -she's white/pastel with a splash of red on her tailfin. The boy is named Stryker -he's a gorgeous array of various colors including white/pink, light purple, silvery-blue, and firey-red tips.

I plan on breeding them very soon, so I began doing some extensive research on the topic. I went through different breeders' websites and looked at many youtube videos. My main concern is how to care for the fry - which I discovered is a difficult task. According to a chart I found, the Baby Bettas sold at petco are more or less 7 weeks of age.

At this age, Bettas require special foods and temperatures, which I was unaware of - and not warned from the petco assistant people. I'm really not too happy with them. The poor baby went home with me thinking it would be properly cared for, because petco neglected to tell me they really are too young and are very sensitive.

I've been fishkeeping for over 12 years and I love fish. I really do. This is cruel and I hope that fewer and fewer people buy these baby Bettas unless they know how to properly care for them. *sigh*

I wish the best to everyone's Betta or Bettas!

-PWG-
PeteWentzGirl518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 09:47 PM   #92 
ao
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteWentzGirl518 View Post
Hi everyone! I just thought I'd add my own little story to this thread,

It was approximately two weeks ago when I entered my local petco and discovered "baby bettas". I was surprised that they sold them so young, and I bought a very cute almost Cambodian looking one. I named him/her Diamond. I bought them for the surprise.

A few days later -maybe a week- Diamond passed away. I wondered what it was that I had done wrong. After I bought him, I researched what I was supposed to do with him to keep him alive (as he could not eat the big pellets). I didn't find much.

Not long after, I purchased two Crowntails, a girl and a boy. The girl is named Felicity -she's white/pastel with a splash of red on her tailfin. The boy is named Stryker -he's a gorgeous array of various colors including white/pink, light purple, silvery-blue, and firey-red tips.

I plan on breeding them very soon, so I began doing some extensive research on the topic. I went through different breeders' websites and looked at many youtube videos. My main concern is how to care for the fry - which I discovered is a difficult task. According to a chart I found, the Baby Bettas sold at petco are more or less 7 weeks of age.

At this age, Bettas require special foods and temperatures, which I was unaware of - and not warned from the petco assistant people. I'm really not too happy with them. The poor baby went home with me thinking it would be properly cared for, because petco neglected to tell me they really are too young and are very sensitive.

I've been fishkeeping for over 12 years and I love fish. I really do. This is cruel and I hope that fewer and fewer people buy these baby Bettas unless they know how to properly care for them. *sigh*

I wish the best to everyone's Betta or Bettas!

-PWG-
Hi! You can apparently feed fries microworms, vinegar worms or baby brine shrimp, just hatched so they don't lose the nutrients.

Babies from petco should do fine with crushed pellets and frozen food. I had to "teach" my younger one that crushed pellets is food, by blowing it around the surface in a tiny cup. she learnt very fast. New Life Spectrum small fish formula works very well too.

Definitely keep them warm with very frequent water changes.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 11:24 AM   #93 
lillyandquigly

cute baby!
lillyandquigly is offline   Reply With Quote