Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-23-2012, 09:39 PM   #11 
bettaluver14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonFish View Post
You're very welcome. :)

Try and get that 10 gallon setup if you can. I do believe the kits are just a few more dollars, but you'll probably have to upgrade your heater too. IMO though, if you can, its definitely worth it.
Also see if you can pickup a liquid testing kit....might seem a little pricey, but it gives you 800 tests and will help you out a LOT through the cycling process and afterwards. Always a wonderful and necessary thing to have on hand, and worth every penny in the long run.

Whether you get the 5.5 or 10, you're going to want to look into the nitrogen cycle and the process involved. Here are some great links that'll help explain it.
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=66595
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=47838
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=107771

Do you or your family/friends know anyone who could possibly house your Glofish properly? At the very least in a larger setup with a few other Zebra Danios? Ask around and see if you can find a nice home for her.
Besides that.....the most ideal option would be a 20-30 gallon setup where you can provide her with her own school(and probably just best to keep your betta in the 2.5 in that case), but if thats not even an option then worst case scenario as a last resort is that you have hang onto her. Its not perfect, and not at all ideal or recommended, but sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do....
Just to let you know, i'm a teen and i have to pay for all the fish stuff :T. i have $22 in my wallet, i used to have $75 but i've been spending it own betta care. :( this is so much! maybe i should just TRY to return the poor glofish :( And where could i possibly fit a 10gal tank? i have Zuko's in my room right now; but a 10gal? ugh. i will try my best, whether it's getting a tank that's inbetween 5.5gal and 10gal, or taking $ out of my car savings account to get a big tank. thanks for the advice and help though
bettaluver14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 09:57 PM   #12 
DragonFish

Oh don't worry, I know where you're coming from. Can't say I'm really technically a teen anymore, but I'm only a couple years out and I have/still do pay for the majority of my fish and their supplies with my own money. Its really not at all a cheap hobby sadly....

A 10 gallon isn't quite as large as you might thing....do you have a good solid desk or dresser? Take a look at the dimensions of one(you can look it up online), then take a measuring tape to ANYTHING in your room you may think solid enough. You might be surprised where you could fit one....I don't even KNOW I I've managed to squeeze 12 tanks in my room. xD

As far as budget goes...have you checked around local thrift stores or Craigslist? You can often find some nice used tanks for much cheaper.

If you really can't manage a 10 gallon....then it'd be best to take the neons back or rehome them along with your Glofish. Actually if you went ahead and did that, you could keep your boy alone in his 2.5 for a while and take the time to save up for something larger with all the fixings and whatnot so you wouldn't have to rush out and spend all your money right now. Then you could start looking into proper tank mates for whatever size you choose. That might be the cheapest and easiest solution for the moment, if you'd be willing to do that instead.
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 11:48 PM   #13 
bettaluver14

Red face

i'm going to petvalu today (it's 12:45am lol) to grab a tank... i noticed the walmart one is sold there too so let's see what happens ;) i will post on here later. i'm pretty sure i will get a 10gal ^-^
bettaluver14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 09:14 AM   #14 
DragonFish

Sounds great. :) Best of luck!
Old 12-24-2012, 11:55 AM   #15 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

You can cut costs on filteration. Grow semi aquatic from lid and aquatic plants.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 12:47 PM   #16 
DragonFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoclateBetta View Post
You can cut costs on filteration. Grow semi aquatic from lid and aquatic plants.
Not really sure how that cuts costs on filtration....you'd still need a filter and media for your BB to grow. ;)
Old 12-24-2012, 12:48 PM   #17 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

BB grow evertwhere invludibg plant roots.
Old 12-24-2012, 12:49 PM   #18 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonFish View Post
Not really sure how that cuts costs on filtration....you'd still need a filter and media for your BB to grow. ;)
You dont need a filter. Live plants grow BB on them and absorb nutruents.
Old 12-24-2012, 12:51 PM   #19 
DragonFish

Yes, BBs stick to everything, bit without a proper amount of media in your filter, where most of them are going to grow, your tank isn't going to be able to establish and hold a stable cycle. The roots of a plant or two aren't going to be able to support enough BB, you'd still need a cartridge or preferably some filter sponge.
And unless you have a very well established and heavily planted NPT, and even sometimes then most people do anyway, you DO need a filter in order to cycle your tank.
So while adding some plants to the filter is certainly beneficial for the plants and water quality, its not necessarily gong to save you any money.
Old 12-24-2012, 01:38 PM   #20 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

BB just need oxygen and nutrients which are everywhere. But in a tank just with the right amont of fish filters are okay. Extra water changes makeup.