Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-24-2012, 12:26 PM   #1 
Solaris

I may have gone overboard!

I bought some silk plants for my aquarium about a week ago, but they were shorter than I thought and didn't reach the top of the water. So, I went back to the store today with the intention of buying one taller plant. I somehow ended up buying three more silk plants!

I actually do have a question though. I haven't installed the filter yet, so how much space do I have to give the intake? I'll probably have to redecorate to make room. And what if a leaf touches the intake sponge thing? Would that be bad? Same goes for the heater. How much room does that need?

All in all, will my future Betta appreciate all the plants?

(Questions done!)
Attached Images

Last edited by Solaris; 12-24-2012 at 12:27 PM. Reason: I forgot the picture!
Solaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 12:45 PM   #2 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

All you really need is decirations and a heater. But what brand filter?
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 12:54 PM   #3 
Solaris

It's a Marina S10 filter.

I'm definitely going to get a decoration, but I just haven't found one yet that I feel would be Betta safe. I haven't even started cycling, so I have some time.
Old 12-24-2012, 01:29 PM   #4 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Live plants are great.
Old 12-24-2012, 01:40 PM   #5 
Kytkattin

How big is the tank? You don't technically need a filter if you just want to do the water changes instead. Of course if you do go with the filter, silk plants really aren't going to cause any problems. Sometimes people have to shove various things into the intake/output of a filter to baffle it so their poor betta doesn't get shoved around the tank like a sailboat. Filters really only have problems when gravel/dirt/sand/air get in them. You might not have as strong of a flow if a leaf wraps around the intake, but that might be a good thing really. As for decorations, that is personal choice. I prefer plant only tanks, maybe with a few hardscape pieces of natural rocks, but again, just personal preference. I actually think the tank looks great as-is. I rarely see fake plants that I like anymore, but this pulls off that natural look that I prefer. :)
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 01:42 PM   #6 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I aquascape my filters.
Old 12-24-2012, 01:43 PM   #7 
Kiyi

For the heater, I actually have some silk plants touching mine. (Marineland Visitherm) I researched it, and figured it should be alright since the heater is always transferring it's heat the water. So it doesn't get hot enough to effect the face plant. Of course, if your heater malfunctions... yeah. xD
Kiyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 01:51 PM   #8 
aemaki09

I have live plants touching both my filters and heaters and have no problems. If you are worried about them I'd give them like an inch of space if possible, but its not neccessary.
That tank looks really nice, plenty of swimming space and plenty of hiding space! I'm sure your new betta will enjoy it a lot!
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 02:03 PM   #9 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I grow semiaquatics in my Filter.
Old 12-24-2012, 02:07 PM   #10 
Solaris

It's a 5 gallon. And I feel better having the filter. You know, beneficial bacteria and all.

I was actually looking for a rock, or an interesting piece of driftwood, but I haven't had any luck so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kytkattin View Post
How big is the tank? You don't technically need a filter if you just want to do the water changes instead. Of course if you do go with the filter, silk plants really aren't going to cause any problems. Sometimes people have to shove various things into the intake/output of a filter to baffle it so their poor betta doesn't get shoved around the tank like a sailboat. Filters really only have problems when gravel/dirt/sand/air get in them. You might not have as strong of a flow if a leaf wraps around the intake, but that might be a good thing really. As for decorations, that is personal choice. I prefer plant only tanks, maybe with a few hardscape pieces of natural rocks, but again, just personal preference. I actually think the tank looks great as-is. I rarely see fake plants that I like anymore, but this pulls off that natural look that I prefer. :)