Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-23-2012, 05:05 PM   #11 
sainthogan

They are tropical fish and need a heater, unless your room temperature is in the upper 70's or lower 80's at all times. Get a thermometer to check his water temp. The ideal range it 76-82. You can get a good heater for $10 at most wal-marts or pet stores. If that is not a possibility, you'll need to put a lamp very close to his tank water during the day, and wrap his tank at night with warm towels to keep the warmth in the tank.

You can use tap water as long as you have a good water conditioner that removes the chlorine. Also, with that size of a tank, you're going to need to 100% water changes 5-6 times a week. A bigger tank is easier to maintain, clean and heat. The recommended minimum tank size is 2.5 gallons (The general rule for all fish being 1 gallon per inch of fish - and since Bettas are generally 2 1/2 inches long, 2.5 gallons is the absolute minimum). Remember, fish naturally produce ammonia in their waste, and ammonia is toxic to fish, so you should also get a water testing kit to make sure that the ammonia levels never rise above .25 (even that's pushing it), and if they are, you'll need to do a water change immediately, or risk killing your fish.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 05:22 PM   #12 
bahamut285

If you are going to use a heater that your Mother in Law is going to GIVE to you, I suggest testing it first. It might be too strong for a small tank and end up cooking your handsome boy.

Make sure to pick up a thermometer at the petstore...they're usually only around $3
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 05:58 PM   #13 
shellieca

You can use tap, which in the long run will save you money, just get a water conditioner such as Seachems Prime. You don't have to have a filter so no worries on that but a heater is a must. In the mean time, if you can put his bowl in the warmest room or the warmest spot in the room he's in that'll help. You can wrap the bowl with one of those microwavable heat packs, keep the bowl lid closed or put some kind of lid on it so itll hold the heat in. Room temp water is usually 3-4 degrees cooler than the room. On water changes you could probably do a 50% & then a 100% per week so 2 changes per week. You're doing right by asking questions, its a definite learning experience.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 03:43 PM   #14 
resa

i have as of today purchased water conditioner so i can use tap water. i also got a thermometer and tropical flake fish food. the water temp without a heater is perfectly fine.... however he still isn't eating the food.....just thought i'd update this... and i got my products at petsmart.
resa is offline   Reply With Quote