Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-24-2012, 03:43 PM   #11 
Prettyprada

Ok. Where would I get the antibiotocs? Should I wait to treat until I can get him the heater? Or is it possible to do so with the cooler temps of 75/76? (I really wish the stores were open on Christmas so I could get him the best treatment possible)

As for the tanks, considering I am a college student with space, I think I'll just stick with the 2-2.5 gl tank with water changes. What else would a 2 gl tank need besides water changes and 25 watt heater? (I want to make sure I didn't confuse something)

But if I were to get 5gl where would I buy the filter and tank for $20??? I'd jump on that if I could!
Prettyprada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 04:04 PM   #12 
Prettyprada

Ok. So where can I get the antibiotics? Would petsmart carry those? He needs to be treated right away. So what can I do to bring his temp up in the tank mean while? (It probably doesn't make a difference, but it's not a bowl). I know they sold a 10 watt heater. Do you think that would work?

Since I'm a college student with limited space, I think I should just stick with the 2 gl and a 25 watt heater and do the water changes. What else would I need to do to maintain the 2 gl tank? (I just want to make sure I didn't confuse something).
Old 12-24-2012, 04:04 PM   #13 
Prettyprada

Sorry... I thought my other comment did not send so I restyled it.
Having phone probs. ugh. :/
Old 12-24-2012, 04:05 PM   #14 
callistra

Some kind of fish store will have them. Kanaplex is a Seachem product and can be hard to find. Maracyn Plus is easier (it's not the same as Maracyn or Maracyn II) and comes in a bottle in liquid form. Both will need to be diluted to work with the exact gallons you have in your tank. You can treat without a heater. Actually it would be preferable to start treatment first because increasing head could speed a bacterial infection along faster. I would go to yellowpages.com or find a local phone book and start calling fish/aquarium supply stores to see if you can find either med. If you can't, Furan 2 and Erythrymycin (API meds) or Maracyn has some potential to work but no nearly as much as the first two meds listed. They're a lot more commonly found though.

You need an in tank thermometer like this: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...fm?pcatid=3921

You need a lid. You can make your own or the 2.5g rectangular ones at peco have glass lids you can buy for them. There may also be some 2.5-3gallon minibow kits at petco and petsmart that are pretty popular. They are more expensive and come with some extra stuff. I would not use the filter or I would put a prefilter sponge on them because they tend to be too much for bettas and some get sucked into the filter.

You also need a little place for him to hide. You can buy a little cave like these: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...m?pcatid=21395 Or you can even use a coffee mug. I'd get him a new one that's never seen soap/chems and rinse it really well. You'll also want a couple soft silk plants that are tall enough to reach the top of the tank because most bettas like to sleep in those. Mine all like broad flat leaf plants the best, like these these:http://www.petmountain.com/show_product/11442-571173 http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003QCILFU/...SIN=B003QCILFU Bettas have especially sensitive fins that can snag on a lot of plastic plants and rough ornaments. You can use nylons/pantyhose to run across/though anything and if it snags the nylons they're too rough for betta fins.

This is my personal favorite 25w heater: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...m?pcatid=21322

These are some good 50w ones:http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...6&pcatid=23726 http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...2&pcatid=23952

You can put gravel in, but you don't need to. Personally, I only use gravel in larger tanks I cycle.

You can just look around at your local shop to see what you like or you can choose to order online if you see something online that stands out to you.

ETA: You can get 5 gallon standard rectangular glass tanks for about $10 but the filter and heater etc would be more. I've heard good things about this one, but no personal experience: http://www.amazon.com/Hagen-A285-Mar.../dp/B0032G8TPW You can look around for kits at walmart, petco, petsmart etc. Sponge fitlers like these aren't very expensive: http://www.amazon.com/Hagen-A900-Sin...+sponge+filter If you use an HOB that you might find in a kit make sure to use a prefilter sponge on the intank tube. http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...fm?pcatid=4182

Here you can see 2.5 and 5 gallon kits but you'll see need a heater and decor: http://www.petco.com/product/10313/A...arium-Kit.aspx These kits are really popular. Personally, I like getting a regular standard glass aquarium and getting a glass top and my own filter and stuff like the first few links.

Last edited by callistra; 12-24-2012 at 04:17 PM.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 04:13 PM   #15 
Prettyprada

Ok thanks so much!!! He already has a lot of the decorations and stuff. He has a little cave that I made sure didn't have any sharp edges, 2 silk plants, a lot on his tank, and an in tank thermometer. All he needs is the larger tank and a good heater and he'll be set! (I think)

Question: if he doesn't ave a filter in the 2 gl, do I still need to keep testing his water... Since I'll be doing regular 100% water changes?

And I will be sure to start looking for those medicines ASAP! Do you think any pet stores would be open Christmas Day...? Probably not, huh? :/
Old 12-24-2012, 06:40 PM   #16 
callistra

If you're doing 100% water changes you don't need to test the water. 2 gallon remember needs to changes though - one 50% and one 100%. Stick to Prime to help with ammonia build up in between the changes. In my one gallon hospital and temp bowls I actually add a couple extra drops mid week along with your water change.

I have no idea what's open on Christmas. Main chains probably will not. Smaller stores would be more likely to.
Old 12-24-2012, 06:44 PM   #17 
asukabetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prettyprada View Post
Ok thanks so much!!! He already has a lot of the decorations and stuff. He has a little cave that I made sure didn't have any sharp edges, 2 silk plants, a lot on his tank, and an in tank thermometer. All he needs is the larger tank and a good heater and he'll be set! (I think)

Question: if he doesn't ave a filter in the 2 gl, do I still need to keep testing his water... Since I'll be doing regular 100% water changes?

And I will be sure to start looking for those medicines ASAP! Do you think any pet stores would be open Christmas Day...? Probably not, huh? :/
No but there is something you can do meantime, perform daily 100% water changes and raise temperature slowly to 82-85F. this way you can manually get rid of the free swimming parasites.

Also if you cannot find any medicine with methylene blue (which kills ich) then you can also use Aquarium salt, which is a less agressive and less stressful way to rid of ich. Or if you have Aquarium salt, use it now 1 tsp per gallon till you can get your hands on medicine

Both ways require 100% water changes and dosage, dosing must be accurate because overmedication can hurt them.

And don't worry ich is not fatal, I had the same issue as you and the betta held up like a champ for 3 days while I did the method I told you about :)

Also make sure to disinfect everything after he is cured and not to share ANYTHING your fish has touched or his water has touched, with other fish as it is contagious. You can do this by using bleach (without detergent) mixed with water and rinsed very very very well.

And yes, for a 2 gallon bowl, water changes should be twice a week, 50% and 100% at the end. :)

hope this helps

Last edited by asukabetta; 12-24-2012 at 06:47 PM.
asukabetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 06:45 PM   #18 
callistra

asukabetta, we've already established it's not ich.
Old 12-24-2012, 11:24 PM   #19 
Prettyprada

Mkay. And Prime is an additive to put in the water? Such as the conditioner? (side note: the conditioner I am using does promote slime coat. just read it on the back)

Yeah, I think the petstore that I always go to is closed. That is why I have been going to petsmart, which is the only main chain pet store in the area.

BTW here are the pictures for you all to see! I didn't have any from when he had a lot of the white/grey stuff on his head, but here are some from earlier today. It has cleared up a lot.

Name:  IMG_0948.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  62.6 KB

Name:  IMG_0960.jpg
Size:  59.3 KB

And this is a picture of his weird poo. (he hasn't done it anymore since 2 days ago, but it doesn't look like he's been pooing any normal kind either :/)
Name:  IMG_0839.jpg
Size:  53.8 KB
Old 12-25-2012, 06:09 AM   #20 
asukabetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by callistra View Post
asukabetta, we've already established it's not ich.
Alright keep calm and bamf on XD Yes the poop looks odd, for constipation or internal parasites the use of epsom salts (unscented) help quite a bit with these situations.

You can dose epsom salts 1 tsp per gallon and for an unlimited time of days, till you see his poop gets better.
asukabetta is offline   Reply With Quote