Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-25-2012, 09:41 AM   #21 
Laki

Would gravel be different then sand? I bought a used tank and cleaned the sand it came with. I'm still using the sand for my assassins. I bought the tank last year.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 06:07 PM   #22 
Blue Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laki View Post
Would gravel be different then sand? I bought a used tank and cleaned the sand it came with. I'm still using the sand for my assassins. I bought the tank last year.
Sorry, this is off topic, so I'll keep it short, but you mentioned you use sand. How on earth do you do it? I recently put some play sand into one of my tanks because I liked the look of it...and 24 hours later the water is *still* cloudy from the particulate. Do I just need to dump it all out and start again?
Is there a certain type of sand to use, one that is denser/larger/not as likely to cloud the water?

Again, sorry to hijack the thread, feel free to message me with details so that this thread can get back on target. :)
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 09:02 PM   #23 
MSG

If you're going to use Play Sand you need to rinse it like 10x

It's got so much dust in it several rinses is not enough. Once the water runs clear, you should be good to go, but keep in mind it will still cloud the water a bit for a day or two.

When it comes to gravel, you can get 50lbs of NEW stuff for $5-$10 if you know where to look.

If you're in the US, they'll EVEN ship it to you for free.

Laki since you're in Canada, this wouldn't be an option.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 09:13 PM   #24 
AyalaCookiejar

Yeah any parasites would have died off but I can't say the same for bacteria. You could always test the heater out to see if it holds a steady temp. The 50 probably means 50 watts...

Edit: wow, three pages. I just looked at the first one, haha! I'm bad at that...
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 11:19 AM   #25 
Laki

I don't know what kind of sand it is honestly, it was not dusty when I got the tank since it was in use by the previous owner. In my old tank years ago I used sand bought at the LFS and it was only .50c per pound. Cheap and dust-free for the most part.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote