Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-25-2012, 10:46 AM   #21 
Prettyprada

Ok will do! :) do I still need to raise his temp? The heater has warmed itself up to about 78 now.
Prettyprada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 12:12 PM   #22 
asukabetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prettyprada View Post
Ok will do! :) do I still need to raise his temp? The heater has warmed itself up to about 78 now.
78 is fine :) a constant temperature is always good. Also I hear for constipation feeding Daphnia is good.
asukabetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 12:27 PM   #23 
callistra

asukabetta it's awesome you want to help but we've got two pages of info and suggestions you skipped over before you chimed in. To catch you up quickly, this betta's constipation has resulted in an internal infection (or visa versa). Epsom salts will relieve constipation but wont' clear up internal infections. Epsom salts were already suggested, along with internal antibiotic (see bottom of page one - clear and white mucusy poo vs. epsoms and kanaplex) and some other things to help the OP in the general future care of their guy.

Prettyprada glad your heater finally got to where it needed to. I would watch your temps carefully since it took several days for the heater to bring such a small amount of water up to temp.. it would be difficult to do the necessary multi-weekly water changes and then wait days again for it to heat up.. by the time it gets up to temp it's time for another water change, subjecting your betta to lots of temp swings. It it also a good idea when you do water changes to stick your thermometer under the running tap and adjust the temp until it is the same tank as the bowl. Then when you do water changes you have as little temp swings as possible.

Last edited by callistra; 12-25-2012 at 12:33 PM.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 01:43 AM   #24 
Prettyprada

Okay! I think I got this. He is still hanging in there. I haven't been able to monitor him closely due to the festivities. But now that it is all over and the stores will be reopenign tomorrow, I will search high and low for his medicine!

SO let me make sure that I have my designated course of action correct:
  • Purchase some Kanaplex or Maracyn Plus (if neither can be found then Furan 2 and Erythrymycin (API meds) or Maracyn may work).
  • Dilute the medication to fit the gallon size of his tank.
  • Do daily water changes (?) how often do the water changes need to be during treatment?
  • Make sure the temps are as stable as possible.

When should I start trying to feed him again?

Side note: My parents have really horrible tap water. It has WAY too much iron in it. I've been buying the same great value bottled water from Walmart for the time that I will be staying here (until the 2nd). So in order to make the temperatures stay as stable as possible... I was thinking I should get a glass container and heat the water up in the microwave? Is this a good method?
Question regarding this: I know my parents won't let me buy a whole new pyrex container... So is there any way to try to remove the soap residue from the container? I would think it would pose a greater threat for it to be heated into the water in the microwave... But I don't know what else to do! Is plastic ok to use for heating the water up? I wouldn't think so... But I worry too much about everything (like chemicals and stuff). Or my other option would be heating it up on the stove in the stainless steal pots...

I don't know what is "safe" or not.

Thank you so much, Callistra! You've been a great help. Sorry for these looooong winded questions... I am such a newbie to this.
We all gotta start somewhere, I guess! Hopefully one day I can pass on this wisdom to someone else And thanks for the link to all his supplies! I actually have that same thermometer, so I am very happy that I got a reliable one.
Old 12-26-2012, 02:07 AM   #25 
callistra

Those bullets all look good.

For the water changes I'd do one every other day along with the redosing of meds.

Okay, for the RO water you can't use straight up RO water because it lacks necessary electrolytes for fish. Not all conditioners will detoxify heavy metals but some will. I'd get Prime for this reason. You can do 50% RO and 50% tap for the time being if the tap is that bad. Usually if you were doing stuff like this I'd suggest testing ph, gh and kh and all sorts of jazz and make sure everything looks good but you're there until the 2nd and this is temporary so just mix 50/50 and use Prime. This is generally very safe.

Also changing his water source may be very stressful on him. Make sure you acclimate him VERY carefully and slowly to these changes. There may be huge ph and gh jumps and all sorts of things that could shock him.

I don't think warming things up in the microwave is going to work.. it will get hot too quickly and you have little control over it. You could ask your parents to get a new 5 gallon bright orange bucket from home depot: http://www.homedepot.com/buy/homer-b...l#.UNqinm-6bOs Or something like that and add an extra heater and mix the water up there.

Honestly I struggled with how to do water changes with aged water and 10 degree temp differences and finally I only have 3 solutions that I like

1) Premix and preheat with a separate bucket/heater
2) Float fish A in a cup in fish Bs water during the change (maybe not the best idea because you're sharing tank germs, but it's certainly the easiest one)
3) Have two identical tank setups so you can do your 100% water change in one, get it up to temp, then move.

Third is pretty impractical but I've done all of these at one point or another. I've also used a heavy duty space heater and aimed it at a 1 gallon glass bowl until the thermometer reads about 2 degrees below where I want it, then quickly take it away, wait until temps stabilize (ususally rose about 2 degrees) and go from there.. IDK there are all sorts of ways of being creative.

I wouldn't use anything that has ever touched soap but some people do and it's okay. Just make sure it's rinsed *extremely* well and nothing porous - so no plastic. Glass/pyrex is prob okay if you're careful enough.

Last edited by callistra; 12-26-2012 at 02:09 AM.
Old 12-26-2012, 02:25 AM   #26 
Prettyprada

Awesome! I'll get on this in the morning. I can't be thankful enough...

As for the water... I don't know if I should use any of the tap water at all because a lot of the time you can actually see the iron particles, so that's why I don't think even the conditioner would help in that case :/ Maybe I'm wrong? (we never use that water for drinking ourselves (they are in a moving/construction process)) That is the only reason I had to buy the little gallon jugs of water. Is there some brand of water I could use? I'd really rather not use the tap at all just because of those floating particles... I feel like he may accidentally eat them or something.

And with the temps I think I'll use the space heater method! It's going to be a chore that is for sure... But like you said, there are so many ways of getting creative!
Old 12-26-2012, 02:22 PM   #27 
callistra

If you want to use bottles of pure RO water from the grocery store they need to be treated with EQuilibrium or Kent's RO right to make them safe for bettas. They're ok for people to drink but they lack the necessary electrolytes for fish and also tend to be way too acidic (PH in the 5s).. so I understand wanting to stay away from the tap water but then it's going to take some extra treatment.
Old 12-26-2012, 03:35 PM   #28 
Prettyprada

Thank you so much!!!!!! Yeah right now I'm dealing with trying to go with the lesser of two evils, if you will.
Thank goodness this is ONLY temporary.
I'll be sure to look into some of that EQuilibrium or Kents RO.
Old 12-26-2012, 03:37 PM   #29 
Prettyprada

Would bottled spring water be better? Or is it the same?
Would I still have to use the EQuilibrium?
Old 12-26-2012, 03:47 PM   #30 
callistra

Bottled Spring Water is usually RO water. They just call it Spring Water for some reason.. Like Lindy's Spring Water is actually RO. Even if it is Spring drinking water, most sill has unreasonable PH levels and who knows what electrolyte levels. I wouldn't use anything without testing it and knowing exactly what's in it and to know the ph and gh levels.

I know petco sells that bottled betta water. I assume that's safe for fish, but I really have no experience with it.

Last edited by callistra; 12-26-2012 at 03:49 PM.