Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-19-2012, 10:47 PM   #21 
kirbomatic

I just found a small poo floating at the top of his tank, but he's still bloated, not to mention his poops don't usually float.

You mentioned a bacterial infection. Should I be treating for that too? I assume I should probably wait to get the worms out before I try to treat anything else.

If I ever have to talk about fish poo this much again it'll be too soon...
kirbomatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 11:35 PM   #22 
Sakura8

If he'll eat, you can soak his food in water that is medicated with General Cure and that should help. Getting Seachem Kanaplex will also help. You can combine General Cure with Kanaplex.

I wonder if he ingested air. Poops don't usually float, that's for sure. See if you can get him to flare and maybe release some pent up energy.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 03:17 PM   #23 
kirbomatic

I'm curious what else you may have up your sleeve for passing the worms? He's very bloated...not pooping, even after a couple days of not feeding. He's now in a 1 gallon hospital tank with a small heater and thermometer (closely monitored) and no gravel. 3 tsp of epsom salt, and I even gave him a bit of a pea and I have a mirror which makes him flare for a bit. Finally after a bit of a struggle, he pooped. Not nearly enough. And still he won't poop. And the worms aren't being passed. I've also given him medicated pellets to no avail. Would the kanaplex help him pass the worms? I fear soon I'm going to lose him. I have maracyn and maracyn 2, as well as triple sulfa all on hand too.

I have minced garlic in a jar, but I'm afraid to do anything with it because it's soaked in olive oil so i'm not sure it would do anything. Or at least not anything beneficial.

Last edited by kirbomatic; 12-25-2012 at 03:18 PM. Reason: clarification of something I said
Old 12-25-2012, 03:40 PM   #24 
kirbomatic

Oh, this is what he looks like now. It looks like something may be coming out of his anus, but not poo, and that's what's blocking it. The part that almost looks like he's plastic and that's extra plastic from where he's sealed together, lol. Don't mind the spots, the tank's spotty on the outside from conditioned water spilling over.

This stuff makes me sick, how much I'm failing him no matter what I do. He's my first fish, and I have a friend doing nothing for her fish and he's fine. It's just not fair. :( I almost just wanna squeeze him or pull that stuff out, but I never would, don't worry. I know it'd hurt/kill him. I'm just at a loss for what to do anymore. All this fish has been is stress and guilt for me, as much as I love him.
Old 12-25-2012, 03:52 PM   #25 
callistra

Don't feel bad. Learning how to keep fish is a process.

You can see the fin rot issues. I know you are trying hard so don't feel bad but it's next to impossible to keep your beneficial bacteria (cycle) strong enough to handle all ammonia in a tank that small and so you need to still be doing 100% weekly water changes with a filter. That's why he has the fin rot issues because of the water quality and why his fins will not improve despite treatment. While he's in the 1 gallon quarantine trying to recover he will need 100% weekly change with another couple smaller 50% changes through the week.

As far as the bloat.. You think he has an internal parasite infection? I think he has an internal bacterial infection.. Epsom salts are good. Don't need to stop those. I guess it could be internal parasites but since we know he's also battling a bacterial infection, I would wager he actually has an internal bacterial infection not parasite.

For this I would use kanaplex.. Kanaplex and epsoms together for two weeks should clear this up, along with more frequent water changes. I think the reason the general cure helped a little but not all the way is it includes a weak antibiotic metronidazole that is very effective on parasites but only somewhat effective in bacterial infections. The Kanaplex should also clear up the fin rot. Once that's all under control, more frequent water changes and adding stress coat at 1 ml per 1 gallon for a couple weeks until his fins start to make real healing progress will get his overall condition moving in the right direction.

Last edited by callistra; 12-25-2012 at 03:58 PM.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 03:59 PM   #26 
kirbomatic

I mean, I test the water and there seems to be a cycle going in the 2.5 gallon. The fin rot really hasn't advanced in quite a while now. The more immediate problem is the bloat and not pooping, no matter what I give him as a laxative. And I've had him in epsom salts with really no results, just him getting bigger. And like I said, there's something, not poop, hanging from his anus now. And he had the white poop originally. And it would make sense since I've treated for bacterial infections with no avail, and tested the water frequently with everything in check. I only have him in the 1 gallon so I can monitor him more closely. I suppose he could have a bacterial infection too, but I'm fairly sure about the parasites. I don't really have access to kanaplex without it being shipped to me, so I want to make sure I really need it.

I don't think he'll last two weeks with this bloat.

Also I don't understand how kanaplex works. It looks like a topical thing...because it has like a q-tip in the top or something. How do I administer it? Specifically for an internal AND external bacterial infection?
Old 12-25-2012, 04:08 PM   #27 
callistra

Your readings suggest overstock (which we know isn't the case) or a need for more water changes. You have some nitrates the way you would on a fully established cycle but you have some low ammonia readings when you should not have any at all. Really suggest increasing water changes, and the sticky in this forum mimics this but up to you. If you were keeping his tank clean enough his fins would have been growing back and good by now, not just mostly stopped receding. Internal infections are also usually caused by poor water quality. 33% a week in a 2.5g tank is not enough and he'll need more while in that 1 gallon quarantine too.

Kanaplex is the best internal antibiotic on the market. The medications you have used I would not have expected to help to be honest. Kanaplex has a scoop. The instructions are on the bottle. However, I can tell you to use one level scoop (use the cap to level) for every 5 gallons of water. So for your 1 gallon you take 5 teapoons of his tank water into a cup along with one level scoop of the kanaplex. Mix it up really well and dissolve it all. Then take one teaspoon out and put it in his tank. You treat every other day for 2 weeks. Do your 100% water change on day 6 along with the redose. Do 50% water changes and a full redose every other day in the interim.

If you can't find the Kanaplex (use yellowpages.com and call all the fish, pet and aquarium supply stores in a reasonable driving distance to you) you can try Maracyn Plus. It also has good results with internal infections.

Last edited by callistra; 12-25-2012 at 04:12 PM.
Old 12-25-2012, 04:14 PM   #28 
kirbomatic

Thank you for helping me. So the thing attached to the cap is the "spoonful" they're talking about in the instructions? I was wondering because it seemed so small, and I thought they meant an actual spoon. Glad I asked! I'll try to up water changes once we're done with all this medication rigamaroll. (obviously I'll change the water when I'm allowed to with the medication, too)
Old 12-25-2012, 04:31 PM   #29 
callistra

Yeah the brown cap kind of half screws half pops/pulls out. Attached to the underside is a little spoon. You can leave it in the cap or pull it out of the cap (I think that makes it easier) to scoop. You have to use something other than the side of the tube to level it because that's curved and you'll end up almost double dose. I usually pull it out of the cap and use the flat bottom face of the cap to level.

Good luck!

Tags
aeromonas, betta, bloat, fin rot, parasite