Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-25-2012, 08:20 PM   #1 
bryanacute

Question Thoughts on Betta Bow?

So, do any of you have the betta bow 2.5? I already have it, but I wanted to know who has it or its cons.
bryanacute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 08:35 PM   #2 
DragonFish

You mean the Aqueon Minibows correct? I don't have the 2.5, but I have two of the 5 gallons I purchased while they were on sale. Over all they're good little tanks, or at least they have been as long as I've had them. I have an HM in each, two of my more spunky/active boys, and they seem to enjoy them alright. xD

Only thing is that they're acrylic so you have to be careful of scratches(might be a good idea to use smooth round marbles as substrate as opposed to gravel in a 2.5 if you'll be preforming 100% water changes), but that does make them a little lighter as well so you can set them on some things you may not be able to put a glass tank on because of the weight.
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 09:11 PM   #3 
DragonFish

Also, a bit on the filters that I forgot to put in and wasn't able to edit in before my computer shut down....

The filters are a little strangely shaped and a tad small IMO. I'm still working on ways to effectively baffle and make the one from the 5 gallon work how I want it to. Since the one in the 5 is so small though, I'd imagine the one in the 2.5 is tiny...probably impossible to cycle with the filter in a tank that small. I'm still not even sure if the one in the 5 will be able to support a proper cycle....still working on that. xD
Old 12-25-2012, 09:33 PM   #4 
bryanacute

To baffle the filter, I used pantyhose stretched around the mouth.
bryanacute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 09:49 PM   #5 
DragonFish

That is what I used to do with the outflow and intake, but since the one on the outflow always seemed to slip and move and I had a bad experience where one of my boys got caught between the pantyhose and the intake, which I believe is what led to his eventual death a few weeks later, I have since switched to all-filter sponge baffles. They work a little better anyway, and as far as the outflow goes they stay in place MUCH better.

This is a strange filter shape though in these minibows, and since I have an HMRT in one I need to baffle the intake(and I do this with my other filters by putting some sponge inside the intake), which it isn't taking to too well and is being rather fussy with me, so I'm still experimenting a little with it. ;)