Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-24-2012, 05:09 PM   #11 
bryanacute

oh wow that's a pretty bad rip. poor guy. you've seen no progression at all. have you noticed dead pieces laying on the bottom? also, there is a sticky that says all the info in the main page of he emergencies thread. if you could fill those out that would help. sorry for all the questions.
bryanacute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 05:11 PM   #12 
bryanacute

Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?
Old 12-24-2012, 05:17 PM   #13 
KellyL

I dont think he can get at it to nibble at it. I have been keeping an eye on it since it happened, it was little hole then it got gradually worse, within a week it ripped to the degree it is now and hasnt changed since. No bits falling off, no blood or red/black tissue nothing.
KellyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 05:24 PM   #14 
KellyL

Housing
What size is your tank? 8l
What temperature is your tank? 27C
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? small pellet food
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2 pellets twice a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? 2 liters twice a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? quarter
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? stresscoat + salt

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH: Cant remember from last time. all good, no problems
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? large split in fin
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? no
When did you start noticing the symptoms? 4 weeks ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? upped temp, upped tapsafe, added salt. tried health guard treatment
Does your fish have any history of being ill? one bad bout of finrot, one case of white spot when I introduced a new plant.
How old is your fish (approximately)? I bought him 9 months ago, age unknown
Old 12-24-2012, 06:59 PM   #15 
DragonFish

If he was a biter he would have gotten at his tail before his anal....it'd be really difficult for him to turn and get just a spot like that.

That does definitely not look so great at all. It doesn't look like you're typical finrot, no, but since it has gotten progressively worse there is certainly something wrong there.

You're using Freshwater Aquarium salt yes? What dosage did you treat him with and exactly how long? Do you add it to your tank regularly as well?

I would suggest moving him(along with his heater)into a bare bottom 1 gallon hospital tank(of you don't have one, you can pick up something like a Kritter/Pet keeper or other cheap small acrylic tank)as you may very well end up having to medicate him with something and a hospital tank will make it a little easier to keep his water nice and clean through the process.
I would also suggest picking up a good water conditioner like Seachem Prime. Stress coat is alright as an additive, but its really not all that great of a conditioner.

I'm afraid I'm not the best person to ask when it comes to the possible need to treat with commercial medications, so I would also suggest you post a thread in he Diseases and Emergencies section with all this information(including the answers to the questions I asked in this post) along with the picture and see what those with a little more knowledge and experience in this area(they'll probably spot it a little quicker over there)have to say as far as actual treatment.
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 07:13 PM   #16 
bryanacute

You should be doing a 50% and a 100% water change every week. There could be ammonia or something causing it not to heal or maybe because of the number of changes you do it's not enough.
Old 12-24-2012, 08:51 PM   #17 
KellyL

I dont think I was clear enough, sorry!
the hole happened due to the heater being off, in the week following that the hole got progressively worse then it split all the way - all in the same week!.
That was around 4 weeks ago - there has been NO change since.

For the total volume of water (8L) he gets 1 teaspoon of salt (yes its proper aquarium salt)
I add more salt equal to the amount of new water I add each time I do a water change. So if i change a quarter (2L) of his water, he gets a quarter dose of salt (quarter of a teaspoon - I got little measuring cups!)
Hes been getting that since I noticed the hole.

Do you really think I need to change THAT much water? its an awful lot to change 100% then 50% all in the same week?
KellyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 09:34 PM   #18 
DragonFish

The hole had to start somewhere, but I doubt its JUST from the heater being off. When holes appear in fins its generally either finrot, a sharp decoration, or excess activity/flaring. The fact that it progressed so quickly is even more of a concern, though....but since it hasn't progressed OR gotten better, that is a little strange. 4 weeks should be plenty of time for it to be mostly healed.

This is quite a pickle....

Now, as for the water changes....
You stated you have a filter, and if you've had the filter all this time and been preforming twice weekly partial changes its very possible you have managed to establish some kind of cycle, but tanks of that size are very difficult to cycle and keep cycled, and since you don't know your levels(ammonia/nitrite/nitrate)its impossible to say if its cycled or not. Those would be very good things to find out. You can take a sample of your water to your local fish/pet store and they can usually test it for free, but make sure they are using a LIQUID test kit and you ask for actual numbers rather then an 'okay' or 'fine'.
Also it would be a good idea to at least in the near future purchase you're own Liquid water testing kit(API brand). Its definitely a must have for all keepers. Monitoring your levels regularly and should be part of your regular maintenance just like water changes, and you also have the ability to test for water quality issues when you think something might be off right away.

In a tank that size, filtered and cycled, you can do twice weekly partial changes of about 50%(so you should probably up your regular water changes a little anyway).
Because that size of a tank is so difficult to cycle, most people just go without the filter, and in that case water changes of 1-2 50%s and 1 100% a week are needed in order to deal with the ammonia that will build up without the beneficial bacteria established in a cycle to break it down into the less harmful chemical Nitrate, which is kept low by weekly partial changes in cycled tanks.

So it depends, but no, that is certainly not too much per week.

Anyway....
It'd be a very good idea to find out your levels and see if your tank is cycled or not. If your tank is cycled, you should have Ammonia and Nitrites at 0 with Nitrates at about 5-10.
If everything tests at zero or you have Ammonia or Nitrites, you're not cycled.

Sorry I didn't fully address this before...I was racking my own brain trying to figure out how best to help you here. xP

Anyway....regardless of cycle, because you're boy has been in salt for so long and prolonged exposure(over 2 weeks max)can be harmful and dangerous, I'd say just go ahead and do a full 100% change right now. Remove your guy into his cup or small container, empty all the water, give everything a quick rinse in warm water, then set it all back up, condition, and re-acclimate your guy into the fresh water very slowly.

From there, hopefully someone else will be able to suggest to you a good proper treatment to help get your guys fin issues under control, but starting over with fresh, clean water for now is what I would suggest, if only to get out all that salt.
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 08:59 PM   #19 
txbettaowner

I would put him in a bigger tank and add more salt. I use API Aquarium salt and API stresscoat to heal any of my females and I have now 5 that I am healing thanks to my aggressive (dominant) female who had calmed down but started back up again.
txbettaowner is offline   Reply With Quote