Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-25-2012, 10:05 PM   #21 
DragonFish

Temporarily that would be just fine, yes, but it wouldn't be a permanent solution. The smallest tank you should divide long-term is a 5 gallon in half, and many would agree that even that can be a tad on the small side. Go ahead and divide her tank for now if that is the best solution you have for the moment though, thats fine, but just start looking for a spare tank or two or make a divider for the 5 gallon here soonish.
How many girls do you have?
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 10:07 PM   #22 
bryanacute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonFish View Post
Temporarily that would be just fine, yes, but it wouldn't be a permanent solution. The smallest tank you should divide long-term is a 5 gallon in half, and many would agree that even that can be a tad on the small side. Go ahead and divide her tank for now if that is the best solution you have for the moment though, thats fine, but just start looking for a spare tank or two or make a divider for the 5 gallon here soonish.
How many girls do you have?
Used to have 6 in a 10. When 3 died, I downsized under my mothers command.
bryanacute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 10:28 PM   #23 
DragonFish

Wow...3 girls in a 5 gallon really is just a ticking time bomb waiting to go off. But I've already explained all of that....I won't go on about it. xD

Anyway, if you just have three, you won't need any more tanks thankfully. Just keep your one girl in the 2.5(and divide it for now if you need to)then make a craft mesh divider for two of them permanently in the 5 gallon.
Here is a great tutorial: http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/d...ividers-21866/

When I make mine, I use two sheets of mesh and double up, then do a little more precise measuring/trimming to make it fit snugly but still securely. This seems to work best at keeping the dividers straight and stable.
Also with two girls, you'll want to drop the water level a tad bit and raise the divider up as close to the hood as you possibly can since girls are excellent jumpers with their short little fins.
Old 12-25-2012, 11:34 PM   #24 
bryanacute

Thank you! I will attempt to. My friend who has some unused dividers said I could have one possibly.
Old 12-25-2012, 11:43 PM   #25 
DragonFish

You're very welcome. :)

If she has store-bought dividers, I would recommend a homemade mesh one still. The store bought ones are going to fit strangely in the 5 gallon probably, and they're not nearly as stable.
A good homemade mesh divider is going to hold up a lot better, and you can better control how it fits in your tank.
Old 12-25-2012, 11:44 PM   #26 
bryanacute

Ok! Ill have to find time to make them though.
Old 12-25-2012, 11:50 PM   #27 
DragonFish

Oh they don't take all that long to make.....little measuring, cutting, trimming....might want to get a few extra mesh sheets, just in case(I know I had a few hiccups my first time around xD), but the actual making of the divider shouldn't take too much more then 20 minutes at most.
Getting it all setup in your tank is probably whats going to take the longest. xD But it'd be like that with any divider.
Old 12-25-2012, 11:52 PM   #28 
bryanacute

My moms a crafter. She makes a whole bunch of stuff, so maybe she could do that for me.