Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-24-2012, 01:25 AM   #1 
Canes92

Betta needs

Ok, over Christmas I'm going to buy a 2 or 2.5 gallon tank. I have a small circle water heater and water conditioner with the flake food. Can anybody help me out with recommendations? I'm a new betta owner and I'm going to do anything I can to help my betta live a full healthy life.
Canes92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 04:13 AM   #2 
majesticstorm

Well, I believe that the circle water heaters are 10 watts? I suggest you get a 25watt one if you're getting a 2-2.5 gallon tank. Hydor THEO makes good heaters. A good water conditioner is seachem Prime or API stress coat.

As far as food goes, I think you should get pellets instead. Not saying that every betta hates flakes, but most do. New Life Spectrum betta formula is probably the best one out there. The pellets are nice and small so it's easy for your fish to eat it, plus they use really good ingredients. It is a bit more expensive than other brands, but it's worth it. I heard Omega One is a good brand too.

Don't forget to get silk plants, since plastic ones might snag your fish's fins. If you're going to use plastic plants, run it through a pantyhose and see if it snags. If it does, it'll probably snag your fish's fins, if not, you're good to go.
majesticstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 04:34 AM   #3 
TheCheese909

+1 to majesticstorm, really hit it on the nose :)

You can try looking for a small filter as well to help you out with keeping the aquarium clean. Tetra makes a great little filter called Whisper In-Tank Filter 3i. It's for up to 3 gallon aquariums and isn't windy and it's in take will not hurt your Bettas fins. You can find this filter at WalMart, PetSmart, PetCo and i'm sure your local fish store will also have it.

What type of water conditioner did you buy? Some are much better than others and always always check the expiration date on them, I've heard horror stories from people who have bought expired conditioners and accidentally burned their fish. If you want a really good conditioner try looking for API Stress Coat+, it's amazing stuff. It's a water conditioner as well as a stress reliever, it also helps with your fish's slime coat.

Flakes are 'okay' some fish prefer it to pellets and some prefer pellets to flakes. It's really easy to over feed your Betta with flakes and they also tend to cloud the water. Omega One has pretty good pellets but my Bettas don't seem to care too much for them, NLS is great and is made from higher quality food. I mostly use Aqueon Betta Pellets for my guys, it's never failed me before and my guys love it. It's fairly cheep and is pretty good for them too, not super high end but it's still great.

Yes, silk plants they are a must have for Bettas. Now, if you're getting a female or a Plakat you can get away with having a few plastic plants so long as they aren't rough, however silk plants are still way better. Also, if your getting decorations make sure they don't have metal or they will rust and cause a whole ton of other issues. All plants and decor should be for actual aquarium use, if you get something that is painted and not meant for an aquarium the pant can come off and yeah, it's not good.

Before adding anything to an aquarium, including gravel, it's smart to rinse it all off under a running tap this will get rid of any debris that they might have picked up while sitting on a store shelf.
TheCheese909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 11:39 PM   #4 
Canes92

Alright thanks a lot guys! I learn a lot everyday from people on this site that pet stores never tell me. The water conditioner I bought is "jacks aquarium complete water conditioner"

Last edited by Canes92; 12-24-2012 at 11:41 PM.
Canes92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 08:52 PM   #5 
txbettaowner

My suggestion for food would be Omega One buffet pellets (daily 3x), bloodworms once a week, and Omega One brine shrimp (every other day). DO NOT JUST GIVE THEM BLOODWORMS!!! I found this one out the hard way. I have bloated fish that I am fasting for 5-7 days to get the bloating down. I am still learning about bettas but I have a 10 gallon tank with 5 females in it and Whisper filter and I have my one aggressive female in a 1.5 gallon tank by herself of course. I can pass on any knowledge I can that I have learned so far.
txbettaowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 01:19 AM   #6 
TheCheese909

I don't think I have ever heard of that water conditioner lol

Brine shrimp are not really necessary to feed, it's a natural laxative and is best fed maybe once a week if you want, or if your Betta is having pooping problems then it'll work. If fed too much then it may cause problems. If you do want to have some on hand make sure it's frozen and not freezedried. I don't think brand names really matter since I have had a few different types and my boys don't seem to care.

Blood worms are a treat "betta candy" as we at Cheemo like to call them, and are nice to feed twice a week at most and not too much at a time. It's like chocolate for people, essentially no real nutrition just tastes great.
TheCheese909 is offline   Reply With Quote