I have a female Betta, Xia, who has a swollen abdomen. It started apx 22 days ago.
The first thing I did was decrease the aqua. salt at water change then didnt add it at the next water change. (So from 1/4+ Tea to 1/4 Tea. then none)
On day 5 I started a round of Kanaplex. I did two rounds of it with no visible results.
On day 15 I did another complete water change and started Maracyn 1 & 2. (Its left the water cloudy.) I am currently on day 8 of that with no visible change and the swelling has increased gradually over the 22 days.
She has eaten good all but 4 days where she ate, just less. Her poop seams normal. Other then the swelling she looks normal, her activity is a bit less some days.
She skims the surface a lot and seams to gulp air. This started before the meds. but has increased. There are bubbles around the edge of the tank.
In the weeks before this started her tank heater wasnt working good and I had a day or two where temps droped to 76-7 at night. That seams to be resolved.
I have had Xia just over 3 years so I know she is an older fish.
So Im wondering if there is anything else I could try. I have medicated fish food from Jungle brand and Maracyn Plus and other meds on hand. I've heard of using epsom salts but not sure how.
Thanks for your advice.
1. Size of tank? 2 gal
2. Water parameters
a. Ammonia? Dont know
b. Nitrite? Dont know
c. Nitrate? Dont know
d. pH, KH and GH? Dont know
e. Test kit?
3. Temperature? Apx 78-9* With heater.
4. FW (fresh water) or BW (brackish)? Fresh water ... Bottled Spring water
5. How long the aquarium has been set up? I do a compleat water change every 5-6 days. Same tank she has had for over 3 years.
6. What fish do you have? How many are in your tank? How big are they? How long have you had them? Only one female betta, apx2" long, had her over 3 years.
7. Were the fish placed under quarantine period (minus the first batch from the point wherein the tank is ready to accommodate the inhabitants)? ??
8. a. Any live plants? No
Fake plants? One.
b. Sand, gravel, barebottom? Bare.
c. Rocks, woods, fancy decors? Any hollow decors? Just plant and a terra cotta pot. Had both for years.
9. a. Filtration? No
b. Heater? Yes
10. a. Lighting schedule? What lights are used? Kitchen lights for a few hours at night.
b. Any sunlight
exposure? How long? Normal day light. No direct light.
11. a. Water change schedule? Every 5-6 days
b. Volume of water changed? All of it, 2 gals.
c. Well water, tap water, Bottle Spring water.
d. Water conditioner used? Yes...Novaqua & AmQuel
e. Frequency of gravel/sand (if any) vacuumed? n/a
12. Foods? Am 3 Hakari Bio-Gold pellets presoaked. PM 3 thawed Hakari frozen Blood worms
How often are they fed? 2 times a day.
13. a. Any abnormal signs/symptoms? Swolen abdomen. Most days eating normal. Several days ago didnt eat all her food.
b. Appearance of poop? Normal
c. Appearance of gills? Normal...as best I can tell.
14. a. Have you treated your fish ahead of diagnosis? Yes
b. What meds were used? 2 rounds of Kanaplex (Kanamycen). Then 7 days of Maracyn 1&2.