Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-25-2012, 10:03 PM   #21 
LittleBlueFishlets

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregwegmann View Post
A grey color has begun to spread up my Betta's back fin. It is a blue betta so it may be that unknown disease covered by a sticky on this forum. I know this isn't normal. I can't get any aquarium salt. Should I make a new batch of water for him immediately? his is looking kind of murky. What else can I do?
Can you post a picture? It would be really helpful.

I may have had a fish with the 'mystery disease' (which was recently identified as a type of Mycobacteria.) His fins turned gray and were clamped. The progression was rapid.... His water was NOT murky, however.

When was your last water change? (I know he's new, but I don't know exactly when you got him.)

Also, what's in the tank with him? Could there be a decoration or something that's affecting the water quality?

Personally, I'd do a 100% water change. There's never anything wrong with clean, warm water.

Acclimate him VERY slowly afterwards by floating his cup in the new water until the temp inside and outside is the same.... Then add a SMALL amount of new tank water to his cup.... Wait awhile, then remove a small amount of water from the cup, and add a small amount water from the tank... etc. Go slow with this, as he's already stressed.... Eventually, when the water in his cup is mostly new water (and the murky stuff is gone), you can release him back into the tank.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 10:07 PM   #22 
LittleBlueFishlets

Nevermind... I see you've already done the water change.

As MSG suggested, a picture would be really helpful.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 10:44 PM   #23 
gregwegmann

I actually can't post a picture at the minute. I've checked on him and there has been no advancement of the grayness. I turned out the lights in my room and have been on my computer. When I put the light from my phone up to his tank he started swimming around. From everything I've read, being lethargic is a major symptom of most sicknesses.

The water change made a huge difference in the visibility so I believe stress may have caused him to become flushed but I will certainly monitor him. It's crazy how attached I've become to him since getting him just two days ago. I felt tears coming when I thought of what would happen if he died.
gregwegmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 08:41 AM   #24 
gregwegmann

This morning, Thunder seems to be more active than days past. The grayness is still halfway up his fin but he's responsive to my finger as usual. He didn't eat. I've also noticed that he doesn't respond to the mirror anymore he just swims away rapidly, maybe he's trying to show off his swimming strength but I don't know. I also like to think that he was smart enough to figure out that it was him :D
Old 12-26-2012, 09:14 AM   #25 
ANHEL123

is he swimming around or he just laying on the bottom of the tank, or just hiding, or just hanging on the top? Is is looks like he is darting ?
When you did 100% water changes did you introduce him to the water slowly? It important to introduce fish slowly so he can get used to the new water temperature or you will shock him with the difference and he might get stressed.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 09:19 AM   #26 
gregwegmann

He moves every so often sometimes high in the water sometimes low. This is a great improvement over the first 2 days of just sitting there and not moving without a stimulus. He doesn't dart around unless I put my finger up to the bowl (which he did in his Petco cup). I made sure to acclimate him properly this time. I guess he's warming up a little. I'm on track to getting him a proper tank, heater, and filter but for now there's not much I can do for the temperature except keep my room at a steady temperature with my space heater.
Old 12-26-2012, 09:53 AM   #27 
ANHEL123

76-80* is good temperature . And you wrote that the temperature in your house is 77* so he is fine. Can you get stress coat API? Why can't you get aquarium salt? I would recommend to do daily water changes with stress coat or every other day and see if he will get better if not i would do aquarium salt.
Aquarium salt will help balance his electrolyte level and encourage the production of slime coat,which will in turn help protect him from infection.
The same with stress coat it helps to protect slime coat and protect from infections
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 04:41 PM   #28 
gregwegmann

I have some Tetra Aquasafe liquid that promotes slime coat. But there's a problem because I'm using a 1 gallon bowl and it says to use 1 teaspoon for every ten gallons. How much do I need to put in? Like a drop?
Old 12-26-2012, 04:50 PM   #29 
LittleBettaFish

Well 1 teaspoon is roughly 5ml, so you will probably need about .5ml of water conditioner to every gallon of water.

I use the 1ml syringes to add in my water conditioner as I only need around .25ml a bucket.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 05:07 PM   #30 
gregwegmann

I'm just going to wait until I do another water change because I don't think it'd be good to introduce Thunder to another conditioner while he's swimming in the other one.