Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-26-2012, 01:47 AM   #1 
acadialover

Help if possible

so my betta was constipated. I did the epsom salt for a couple days, nothing. HE is in a 5 gall, heated tank with filter. I've had him about 3 years. I googled constipation and read the silly pea thing, and silly me, did it, gave him a little teeny piece ad now he hasn't pooped in 3 days, and is not lookin' good , Pea did him in ! breathing but not coming up for air. I lowered the tank water, and got a vase and put the vase in the tank. I have allot of plants in the 5 gallon , so now he is in 2 cups of treated , heated water. I need to figure out how much epsom to put in 2 cups and how how much AMquel also. If it is 1 teaspoon per 10 gallons, so how much for 2 cups . Also, how much epsom in that amt of water ?
Obviously NOT good in math . Please help with amts of treatment, and any suggestions. Can I give both salts at once ?
Thanks He looks pale and miserable. I actually thought he was dead , but he is not, just staring at me on the desk.....I have plants in the cup for him to rest on, but not coming up at all....
acadialover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 02:39 AM   #2 
Kytkattin

For the epsom salt you would use 1/8th of a tablespoon in 2 cups of water for the salt, 1/8th of a teaspoon for the AmQuel, if it is 1 teaspoon per gallon, though it is the same as the salt dose if it is actually 1 tablespoon per gallon. I don't remember what it says on the bottle. Oops... At this point, based on his age, I would look at comfort measures as it could just be old age catching up to him at this point and you want to make him as comfortable as possible. Which really, you already have with lowering the water level, keeping him warm, etc.

Can you check the water parameters? Has anything in his life changed recently; decor, food, water change schedule, etc? I strongly suspect old age at this point, but other potential causes should be looked at as well. Don't use both salts at once. The Aq Salt won't do anything to help if it is internal problems, and if he isn't having fin rot or similar then it will just aggravate what is likely an already delicate or even failing internal system.

Are his scales raised at all? It could maybe be dropsy. Best of luck. Hopefully someone else will be by soon with better advise.
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 01:41 PM   #3 
callistra

I agree, photos and more info would be helpful: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49233

Pea is safe, but it depends on how you do it.. Most people in this forum frown on it because it's not natural but it won't kill him. You feed fresh or frozen, not canned. You take one pea and put it in a tiny bit of tank or otherwise dechlorinated water and pop it in the microwave for 10 seconds. The shell should just fall off at that point pretty much or at least be easy to move. Inside you see two halves of pea. Take one of those halves and tear it up into teeny tiny bits to fit a bit at a time. You can feed the entire half or just 1/4 of it at time. I wouldn't feed another pea at this point.

That little bit of water he's in will build up ammonia very quickly and will need full changes at least twice a day.. if you could get him an acrylic bowl around 2 gallons you can fill it half full (about 1 gallon) and float in the larger tank to keep him warm and that will help a lot with keeping ammonia down.

I would mix up his water a gallon a time in jugs like the jugs of spring/ro water you get at the grocery store. That will help with dosing. Epsoms can be mixed up at 1 tsp per gallon, predissolved. Make sure it's pure magnesium sulfate per ingredients label. No additives/dyes/perfumes etc. The standard dose is 1 tsp per 10 gallons for Amquel. That would be 1/4 tsp per 2.5 gal... Kordan says use 10 drops per gallon using an eye dropper for anything less. You can mix up gallons like this and use this water to replace the water in his 2 cup container.

Last edited by callistra; 12-26-2012 at 01:44 PM.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 03:34 PM   #4 
acadialover

Thanks everyone for your really helpful info. I am going to keep these breakdowns of dosing for other Bettas. Is there a place here in the forum where they have a breakdown of all the different amts. for smaller tanks ? I have three 5 gallons and one 2.5 gall. and am always guessing.....
Well, HE passed in the night. So sorry to wake up to him not here. I have had him in a 5 gallon right next to my computer for almost 4 years. HE was very funny and interactive. HE is the fish in my avatar. I have several others , but he was such a cool fish. I will miss him a lot. Thanks for all your kindness and help. RIP Jokerman.
Old 12-26-2012, 03:40 PM   #5 
acadialover

I did do the pea the right way, and just a very tiny amt. Oh well, maybe it was just his time to go...
Old 12-26-2012, 05:04 PM   #6 
callistra

I just did the math. It's basic ratios. If you need help you can always ask.

I'm sorry he did not make it :(
Old 12-26-2012, 05:07 PM   #7 
acadialover

For those of us who are poor at math skills, I think it would really help to have a place to look up the ratios. If you have a gallon, or a three, or a 2.5 etc.... IF you need to dose AQ salt, or Epsom, or conditioner etc...
Thanks for your sympathy.
Old 12-26-2012, 05:08 PM   #8 
callistra

Hmm yeah I could make one but I wouldn't have the authority to sticky it. I can make one for you though, and if the mods like it maybe they will share with others.
Old 12-26-2012, 05:10 PM   #9 
acadialover

Fantastic !!!