Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-26-2012, 12:19 PM   #1 
Foxers

Question Problems with Mushu

Hello all, hope you're having an extravagant holiday.

I have a problem with my little betta, Mushu (named after the tiny red dragon in mulan- clever eh?)

Anyhoodle, I got him back in October, as one of those baby betta fish from petco, he bulked up a bit and his tail grew slightly but not as much as i would have thought a male's would. I believe he's a veiltail, ill take pictures and post them below. He lives in a 2.5 gallon tank with sand, natural plants, cycled, low nitrates and ammonia, and a 6.8 - 7 pH balance. The tank is filtered and heated to a peachy 78*. What more could he want?! goodness he's so small i have to crush his pellets still. And i feed him live/frozen food 3 times a week.

Also, at the same time, i got another betta, also baby. She grew to a normal female size and even bulked full of eggs and lives in a community tank just fine.

What am i doing wrong? will someone inform me please?

Name:  phpXY9u36AM.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  37.6 KB Name:  phpj5YTlqAM.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  33.5 KB
Foxers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 12:46 PM   #2 
registereduser

If he's not sick don't worry! Maybe he's a runt or maybe he was younger than you thought. Try to keep the ammonia at 0.

Where did you get that ceramic rock thingy? I love it!
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 01:37 PM   #3 
Foxers

He's not sick in the least, never has been (knock on wood, am i right?) and as for the rock thingy, when i got my first tank, it came with it. Its plastic but super easy to clean and has no sharp edges. i don't know if they still sell them or not but it was a tetra water wonders 1.5 g, I've kept the rock ever since. I put little Anubis sprouts in it.
Old 12-26-2012, 01:44 PM   #4 
Foxers

little stinkers already flaring at my make up mirror, so cute. Oh by the way, i have a lot of small cichlid pellets left over from when i had cichlids, can i crush them and feed them to mushu? Its higher in protein then plain pellets, so i think its better, thoughts?

Last edited by Foxers; 12-26-2012 at 02:01 PM.
Old 12-26-2012, 07:12 PM   #5 
xShainax

Are you sure he's male?
xShainax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 07:30 PM   #6 
Foxers

I've yet to see a white 'egg spot' on his chest and he flares at mirrors as well as builds nests. I know females have a tendency to do so as well but i dont know, i thought he was male... Ill keep a lookout!

Tags
baby betta, small, tank