Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-26-2012, 07:50 PM   #1 
MadameDesu

Aquatech 5-15 or Sponge Filter?

I posted about this yesterday, but I got the Aquaculture 10gal kit for Christmas. Woo-hoo!

But as most of us know, the kits aren't perfect and I'm left figuring out what to do with something called and Aquatech 5-15 Power Filter. I'm guessing that the word "power" doesn't mean good things for betta fins ...
So, I think I have two options here.

1) Use the power filter, replace the cartridge with an Aquaclear sponge, and baffle the heck outta it.

2) Get a sponge filter, preferably the Hydro Pro II and use it with my old Whisper 3i air pump.

I've been wanting to use sponge filters when I get new fish and I'll have to decide which way I want to do it. My only reservation deals with the mechanical filtration. Once upon a time, I replaced my Whisper 3i's cartridge with an Aquaclear sponge and the water got really gross really fast. Maybe it was the wrong size. I dunno.

Anyways, out of the two options I'm considering, which do you all think is best?

Thanks in advance!
MadameDesu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 08:12 PM   #2 
angelfish11788

IMO, id go with a sponge, but i like to fiddle to, so to save some cash id mess with the aquatech. I am not fan of them. but id still mess with it. though sponge filter are super cheap aswell, so IMO it is up in the air and i am no help, lol. though i dont like my aquatech so my boy has a sponge instead of that filter.
angelfish11788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 10:20 PM   #3 
colorxmexravyne

I used to have the same filter (Aqua Tech 5-15) but I ended up switching it out with an Aquaclear 20. The Aqua Tech was just too strong for my betta, no matter what I did to baffle it. What I didn't try is putting a pre-filter sponge in the intake. I didn't know that was an option back then. Also, I have a five gallon tank as opposed to a ten, so you might have better luck than I did. However, if nothing else works, I highly recommend the Aquaclear 20. (:
colorxmexravyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 10:27 PM   #4 
MadameDesu

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelfish11788 View Post
IMO, id go with a sponge, but i like to fiddle to, so to save some cash id mess with the aquatech. I am not fan of them. but id still mess with it. though sponge filter are super cheap aswell, so IMO it is up in the air and i am no help, lol. though i dont like my aquatech so my boy has a sponge instead of that filter.
I'm all about saving money where I can, so that's why I was considering messing with it.

Does your sponge filter provide good mechanical filtration?
Old 01-02-2013, 06:12 PM   #5 
angelfish11788

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadameDesu View Post
I'm all about saving money where I can, so that's why I was considering messing with it.

Does your sponge filter provide good mechanical filtration?

I do 50% WC and an occasionly 25% weekly on my bettas. All of my bettas except 2 are on sponge filters with gang valves.if i messing with my 75 or 125(beside my betta disply) I will stir up the desired tank and give it a little more intake flow on the valve, It upsets my bettas but i only do it for a minute or 2 does great at picking up particles. so IMO it depends on flow. I am all for sponge filters.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:18 PM   #6 
MadameDesu

What kind of air pump do you use in your tanks?
Old 01-02-2013, 06:38 PM   #7 
aemaki09

I'd go with the sponge filter. I absolutely love the ones I have. They are pretty cheap too. I think mine cost like $5
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:41 PM   #8 
angelfish11788

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadameDesu View Post
What kind of air pump do you use in your tanks?

I run the fluval, think it is the 150-180 gallon one, I have a tetra deep 200 aswell, those things are damn near workhorses, closest thing to the best before going to a pond filter. to be honest, if you are running 2-3, i good 50-70 gallon petco or smart brand would be fine.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251196374021...84.m1423.l2649

great filter. you can get one that have suctions to the side, but these do great. any other questions just ask, I am a filter junkie. lol

i am setting up a 500 +gallon soon and and filtration is the best part
Old 01-02-2013, 08:08 PM   #9 
MadameDesu

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelfish11788 View Post
I run the fluval, think it is the 150-180 gallon one, I have a tetra deep 200 aswell, those things are damn near workhorses, closest thing to the best before going to a pond filter. to be honest, if you are running 2-3, i good 50-70 gallon petco or smart brand would be fine.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251196374021...84.m1423.l2649

great filter. you can get one that have suctions to the side, but these do great. any other questions just ask, I am a filter junkie. lol

i am setting up a 500 +gallon soon and and filtration is the best part
Ohh ooo I like that one. It's for 5 gals though, so maybe I could put two of those in my 10 gal?
Old 01-02-2013, 09:05 PM   #10 
angelfish11788

not sure what else he has, but he probably has one up to 10 for a little cheaper, anyway glad i could help