Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-26-2012, 06:18 PM   #1 
johnny151

How do you transition from old-new filter?

I had a Tetra Whisper 10I for almost a year now, and while it does a great job at filtering, the flow is to overwhelming for my Betta. I've been desperately trying to find a filter thats Betta friendly and I finally have.
I can't wait to change filters since my pet has to stay in or around his cave due to strong flow.
I know you can't just remove the old filter and plug in the new 1 as it'll re cycle the tank and harm the fish. The beneficial bacteria would also be removed.

So how do I go from old-new without ruining anything?
I know I could just put the old filter media into the new 1 but its not the same brand, the media won't fit into the new 1.

I was told i can run both filters at the sametime, but I never heard of this. Plz help =)
johnny151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 06:48 PM   #2 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I just swap.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 07:15 PM   #3 
johnny151

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoclateBetta View Post
I just swap.
You didn't experience anything negative by just swapping filters?
I was told doing so was bad and could potentially kill your fish. if its ok to just switch then i might just do that. I just want to be sure that my pet won't get hurt from water spike or something
Old 12-26-2012, 07:22 PM   #4 
aemaki09

You should stick the new filter's media in or very near to the old filter for a few days, or more if you want, so benificial bacteria can attach to it, then you swap it
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 03:09 PM   #5 
johnny151

Quote:
Originally Posted by aemaki09 View Post
You should stick the new filter's media in or very near to the old filter for a few days, or more if you want, so benificial bacteria can attach to it, then you swap it
My old filter has a sponge on a frame, i was wondering if i can remove the sponge and place it in the new filter and be able to use it right away?
Old 12-27-2012, 03:11 PM   #6 
Kithy

I kept all the media the same. You might go through a mini cycle so be watchful on your numbers.

One of my filters had a black sponge thing in it that I shoved into a new filter along with the carbon thing.
Kithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 03:26 PM   #7 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny151 View Post
You didn't experience anything negative by just swapping filters?
I was told doing so was bad and could potentially kill your fish. if its ok to just switch then i might just do that. I just want to be sure that my pet won't get hurt from water spike or something
The only tank to have its filter changed is my 20. It has had that twice. I use many plants in the filter and tank.
Old 12-27-2012, 03:56 PM   #8 
Virto

Have you considered baffling the filter intake and output to reduce the flow?

If you swap filters, place your current cartridge in the new filter. If it won't fit, feel free to cut it so that it will fit on top or underneath the new filter pad.

Barring that, take the existing filter media and squeeze it out onto the new filter. It won't be quite as good, but it's sure better than starting with a totally unseeded pad.

Some of us have used the same filter pad for a loooong time. As long as it's not actively falling apart, it's pretty much OK to use.
Virto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 04:02 PM   #9 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I change my filter pad often. Peace lilies love to rip them up.
Old 12-27-2012, 06:38 PM   #10 
sainthogan

I have that filter as well, and on the very bottom of mine there is a knob that I can slide to adjust the flow from fast which is the default setting to slow, and anywhere in between. Check to see if yours has that as well. I've got mine set to slow, and then I have to have the water just almost touching the lip of the water output to keep the surface water slow.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote