Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-26-2012, 11:20 PM   #1 
Solaris

Unhappy Oh Dear...

So, quick background story... I currently live with my aunt and we both have Betta tanks. Mine is a 5 gallon waiting to be cycled (so no fish for me just yet) and hers is a 1/2 gallon with a blue VT. I'm fairly certain that she feels that he is 'just a fish' and doesn't need a whole lot of space. I was also the only one to notice when he got fin rot, but luckily, I was able to convince her what it was and he was treated successfully.

She just returned from visiting family, and my cousin has had a Betta for years. (Which I didn't know.) Apparently, he is kept in a bowl and she says she hardly ever changes the water. So, now my aunt is even more convinced that fish don't need fancy things and that her .5 gallon cube is enough.

So, why has that Betta survived for so long? I feel really terrible for him.
Solaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 11:40 PM   #2 
madmonahan

I have wondered this same thing. How do people keep Bettas in bowls and barely clean it, and they live for years! And we keep them in the right size tank and clean it right, and some don't live as long! Very odd....
madmonahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 11:43 PM   #3 
Kithy

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmonahan View Post
I have wondered this same thing. How do people keep Bettas in bowls and barely clean it, and they live for years! And we keep them in the right size tank and clean it right, and some don't live as long! Very odd....
Isn't that just so frustrating? You can do everything right but they still die.

As a kid I kept a betta in pretty poor condition and it lived over six months. Another that I kept in a goldfish bowl (this was before the internet and good resources!) and he lived a year and a half but was full grown when he was gifted to me.
Kithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 11:48 PM   #4 
Friendlyfishies

lol I went through a similar issue with mum..my niece had her betta for 4 years in a .5 bowl with minimal water changes. You could tell the fish wasnt happy but he did survive...only helped to convince mum all I do to help my betta thrive is a waste of time and money...crazy aye?
Friendlyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 11:53 PM   #5 
KirstenMarie

Sometimes it just depends on the fish, they are all different. Some can handle being put into small spaces and some just can't. But a .5 gallon... That is like torture! How would he have room to swim? My parents ALWAYS tell me they are just fish. And I am just like yeah, And I am JUST your kid and the fish make me happy so hush. And they roll their eyes when I tell them all the christmas money I got is going to go to my new spawning tank and new Bettas. And I am just like... You gave me that $180 and I will do what I please with it.

All-in-all, convince her to get you a bigger tank, as your Betta IS not going to be happy in that tiny tank. Won't even be a good place to hide. It could actually end up really really stressed out in that tiny environment. All my Bettas have their own 2.5 gallon and it still feels small to me sometimes.

Last edited by KirstenMarie; 12-26-2012 at 11:56 PM.
KirstenMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 12:18 AM   #6 
MadameDesu

Whenever people say that I always think of this analogy:

Let's say you kept someone in a port-a-potty for about 6 months, feeding them, but not cleaning it. They'd probably survive, but they wouldn't really be living.

Even if the fish only lives for a week, taking proper care shows that the owner cares and wants them to have the best. Anyone that says "it'll be fine" or "it's just a fish" when being told how to care properly have, IMO, failed as pet owners and hobbyists.
MadameDesu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 12:21 AM   #7 
Kithy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadameDesu View Post
Whenever people say that I always think of this analogy:

Let's say you kept someone in a port-a-potty for about 6 months, feeding them, but not cleaning it. They'd probably survive, but they wouldn't really be living.

Even if the fish only lives for a week, taking proper care shows that the owner cares and wants them to have the best. Anyone that says "it'll be fine" or "it's just a fish" when being told how to care properly have, IMO, failed as pet owners and hobbyists.
I could not agree with you more.
Kithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 01:44 AM   #8 
AyalaCookiejar

Anyone who doesn't have the time, space or money for any other animal should not own a fish. You don't have to buy food and cat litter all the time like dogs and cats, but the amount of money you need initially for a fish is usually more than most people for some reason are willing to spend. About $50 is all you really need to get a decent sized tank and heater and some food, conditioner and a few decorations. I spend that much in a few weeks on my dog and two cats. After that, all you really need is maybe spend a few extra bucks on your water bill. Or just only flush the toilet every other time you use it and you'll make up for it, haha, (or hand wash dishes instead of using the dishwasher, wash bigger loads of laundry, etc...) It baffles me that people can be so cheap with a fish when it's really a one time expense.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 02:12 AM   #9 
sandybottom
Reference Team

one time expense, until you are addicted. then its rediculous.
sandybottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 02:16 AM   #10 
madmonahan

Lol very very true sandy! :p then it starts getting expensive.
madmonahan is offline   Reply With Quote