Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Show Bettas
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-27-2012, 02:22 AM   #51 
aemaki09
Member
 
aemaki09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: North Central, OH
I can see both sides to the VT argument.
They really arent symmetrical, so how are they supposed to be judged with all the other tail types?
BUT they are what got most people in this hobby to begin with, so it would be nice to see them at the shows.
I can see them making a class for them, but how would they be judged in the BOS classes? The judges would have to look for completely different flaws on them than all the other fish in the class.
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:12 AM   #52 
Mo
Member
 
Mo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Aemeki what are you talking about? Lol. All different tail types, and colors have different judging criteria already
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:17 AM   #53 
ChibreneyDragon
Member
 
ChibreneyDragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo View Post
Aemeki what are you talking about? Lol. All different tail types, and colors have different judging criteria already
I think what he is getting at is that most of the point standards are ABOUT symmetry! VTs dont HAVE that.
But I too started with a VT. I loved him very much.
ChibreneyDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:33 AM   #54 
hannah16
Member
 
hannah16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Texas
Perhaps they could judge based on color and maybe they could set a standard about the slop of the tail?

I don't know, either way I'd love to see a VT class. My first betta was a VT so they'll always have a place in my heart.
hannah16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:50 AM   #55 
aemaki09
Member
 
aemaki09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: North Central, OH
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibreneyDragon View Post
I think what he is getting at is that most of the point standards are ABOUT symmetry! VTs dont HAVE that.
But I too started with a VT. I loved him very much.
Yup that's exactly what I mean. When judging other tails they look for symmetry, how can they do that with VT's? They cant. So it'd be completely different

My thinking on this is that at dog shows, judges look for all the same flaws and characteristics on each dog, thOugh it may be tweaked a little from breed to breed its still the same. Same with horse shows, they are all judged by the same standards unless it's color.
I know these are fish so it's different. But I've been showing dogs and horses since I was 8 so 14 years, so that's what I am used to

Last edited by aemaki09; 12-27-2012 at 11:54 AM.
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 06:18 PM   #56 
MoonShadow
Member
 
MoonShadow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: New York, USA
In international shows there are classes for the veiltails, there was actually a show in Holland (I believe) back in August where the winner of the male veiltail class also won Best of Show

This was the male
MoonShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 06:31 PM   #57 
aemaki09
Member
 
aemaki09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: North Central, OH
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonShadow View Post
In international shows there are classes for the veiltails, there was actually a show in Holland (I believe) back in August where the winner of the male veiltail class also won Best of Show

This was the male
Nice!! I didn't know that! Can you find out how they are judged Both by themselves and compared to others?
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 07:07 PM   #58 
Maddybelle
Member
 
Maddybelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Alabama
Found this on MoonShadowBettas.com:

Bettas4all (an international betta specific forum) have developed their own international show standard for the veiltail betta, and in shows over in the netherlands and such bettas are allowed in the shows. According to bettas4all the show standard for a veiltail betta is as follows
Standard Veiltail (VT)
Dorsal (dorsal fin)
The Dorsal is narrower at its base and has fewer rays than the (other fin variants.)(1)The fin should run in a sickle-shaped manner and not exceed over of the body length of the fish. It should not (run out in individual rays.) (2)Overlapping of the Dorsal over the fish body is not desired.
Caudal (caudal fin)
The caudal fin should be full with a broad base, but (long stretched.) (3)It should be at least the same length as the body of the fish. The rays come out of the tail root steeply rising in the upper part of the fin and then after reaching its highest point at 20% of the entire fin length, drop down in an even (elbow.)(4)
Within the lower part of the fin the rays come out almost straight
from the tail root with an (easy upward arranged)
(5)curvature and then
drop down parallel to the other fin rays. Thus results in a light sickle-shaped (long stretched optics.)
(6) The Caudal must be able to be
carried easily by the fish in its entire length. The ends of the rays
should not have any spikes or indentations. An (easily corrugated)
(7)
fin border is permitted. The fin volume is to be stretched completely
(not too many rays and/or too much skin between the rays, no
pleating) when the fish flairs.

Anal (anal fin)
The anal fin should (set up at the highest point of the body)(8) and
be at least as long as the body and run out in its deepest end
(pointedly. The form is to resemble a parallelogram.)
(9)
Ventrals (ventral fins)
The ventral fins are to be the same length as one another and should look like a curved knife blade. They should BE at least 1/3 as long as the
body.
Maddybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 07:17 PM   #59 
ChoclateBetta
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Virginia
Isnt Chocolate technicaly Dark colored Bi-color?
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 07:43 PM   #60 
ChibreneyDragon
Member
 
ChibreneyDragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddybelle View Post
Found this on MoonShadowBettas.com:

Bettas4all (an international betta specific forum) have developed their own international show standard for the veiltail betta, and in shows over in the netherlands and such bettas are allowed in the shows. According to bettas4all the show standard for a veiltail betta is as follows
Standard Veiltail (VT)
Dorsal (dorsal fin)
The Dorsal is narrower at its base and has fewer rays than the (other fin variants.)(1)The fin should run in a sickle-shaped manner and not exceed over of the body length of the fish. It should not (run out in individual rays.) (2)Overlapping of the Dorsal over the fish body is not desired.
Caudal (caudal fin)
The caudal fin should be full with a broad base, but (long stretched.) (3)It should be at least the same length as the body of the fish. The rays come out of the tail root steeply rising in the upper part of the fin and then after reaching its highest point at 20% of the entire fin length, drop down in an even (elbow.)(4)
Within the lower part of the fin the rays come out almost straight
from the tail root with an (easy upward arranged)
(5)curvature and then
drop down parallel to the other fin rays. Thus results in a light sickle-shaped (long stretched optics.)
(6) The Caudal must be able to be
carried easily by the fish in its entire length. The ends of the rays
should not have any spikes or indentations. An (easily corrugated)
(7)
fin border is permitted. The fin volume is to be stretched completely
(not too many rays and/or too much skin between the rays, no
pleating) when the fish flairs.

Anal (anal fin)
The anal fin should (set up at the highest point of the body)(8) and
be at least as long as the body and run out in its deepest end
(pointedly. The form is to resemble a parallelogram.)
(9)
Ventrals (ventral fins)
The ventral fins are to be the same length as one another and should look like a curved knife blade. They should BE at least 1/3 as long as the
body.
Wished I lived in the Netherlands! Not only could I stalk John Green on his vacations, but I could enter my VT!
ChibreneyDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How do they show Betta at a show? sstacy19 Betta Chat 12 10-17-2012 12:15 AM
Any of you going to the next IBC show? Ethan The Lounge 2 05-22-2012 04:56 PM
Just had to show someone. ZergyMonster The Lounge 5 04-18-2012 02:13 AM
SHOW ME YOUR PK's! peaches3221 Betta Pictures 145 01-02-2012 09:17 PM
IBC Show monroe0704 Betta Chat 14 03-28-2011 12:36 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:43 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.