Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-23-2012, 12:53 PM   #11 
MSG

So you have a 10 gallon tank with the following occupying it....

2 female bettas
1 male betta
2 plecos
  • What brand & model filter are you using?
  • No heater?
  • What kind of fish live in the fry tank?
  • What brand & type food are you feeding all these fishies?
  • No live plants other than java moss?

Also your male betta is not wild or a round tail. Juvenile bettas always start out with a round tail, but as they get old the tail will start drooping down after it attains a certain length. Your betta's tail is already starting to do that.

As for the red spots, no idea from your photos. It just looks unusual to me.

Do what you can to get a better photo & fill out the sticky questionnaire. I'm sure the last thing you want is to medicate a sick fish with a strange illness with the WRONG medication.

Totally agree with the tetracycline comment, I think it's no longer effective due to overuse.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 05:23 PM   #12 
MidTnBetta

No point in quarantining as my 2 females have it as well. That leaves the 2 plecos who don't seem to have it, and I can't move them into my split tank as my other two betta males are highly aggressive. I tried to move them last week, and long story short it was a disaster. I only have java moss in there right now (about 6 large clumps) as the pet store didn't have any others and I am not buying anything else from them that comes out of an aquarium. It's an aquenon (?) filter. I used a regular thermometer to test the water as it has a sticky glass thermometer on the inside but I don't trust it entirely. They're getting hikari biogold pellets (crushed for the females) and blood worms as a treat once a week. The plecos get algae wafers. And yes my house stays warm at about 74-75 since it's horribly cold outside, and no one in my family deals with cold well.

I know the females aren't breedable yet, and quite frankly am not interested in breeding at the time. They're maybe a month or two old and barely pushing an inch long. They're tiny compared to him.

I bought Kordon's Ich Attack as it was recommended to me from another betta person. I'm going to try that. I was going to buy a heater while I was there, but their cheapest heater was $35 and it was for a 15g and up. I have to go back to town later and am going to try another store. We're limited to Wal-mart and the crappy LPS here. The nearest petco/petsmart is a good 30-40 minutes away.

I did find out today during my rant at the LPS that 90% of the shipment that they didn't sell died from some kind of fungal infection. One of the males they were selling as a rose tail but looked like a really bad VT was covered in white cottony looking stuff on his back, ventrals, and dorsal. I wound up buying a tiny tiny, what appears to possibly be a half moon, male who they said they'd had for a month now. He's about the same size as my small girls. He's in my 1.5g tank with AQ salt as he's not doing very hot and I doubt will make it through the week.

They had a dead female betta CT, in the tank that my two girls came out of, today and they didn't seem to care one iota. Just asked me if the other two in there were eating her. I raised 15 kinds of hell and got the new boy for the whopping price of .50.
MidTnBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 12:53 AM   #13 
Tikibirds

Quote:
Also your male betta is not wild or a round tail. Juvenile bettas always start out with a round tail, but as they get old the tail will start drooping down after it attains a certain length. Your betta's tail is already starting to do that
That's how I ended up with a male in my soroity. I bought them all as young "females" from petco. The ladies stopped growing and the males fins got longer and longer but he did not/is not any more aggressive then he was a year ago. If my fish don't die of some unknown disease, I think I may section off an area of the tank just for him.

Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 03:40 AM   #14 
MidTnBetta

Yeah, I figure as long as Newbie and the girls leave each other alone, I don't see a point in moving him. They're all getting along great and doing well with each other. He really seems to enjoy the company. I'll separate them if it gets to be a problem, but I don't forsee it being one in the near future.

The new boy I got has passed though. I had him in a cup w/ about 2 inches of water so that he could swim/get air easier, but I think his SBD was too advanced. He spent most of his time on his side, and when he would swim up for air, it was a huge struggle. I checked on him earlier tonight and he'd passed. :( I would go back and rescue one of the other 2 males, but the one was horribly sick w/ the cotton stuff, although active. I may go back and get the lavender marblish looking guy. They only have 2 males left. Well and the tiny juv black/red crowntail male in the group tank.

I love your boys coloring! He's gorgeous!
Old 12-24-2012, 05:09 AM   #15 
TheCheese909

Quote:
Originally Posted by callistra View Post
Is your guy in a tank with several other females? You cannot keep a male betta and females together and sororities should be more than 2 and ideally at least 20 gallons.. These bettas need to be separated. You're lucking out for now but one day your luck will run out and you could end up with a bunch of dead betta fish on your hands. It's just wreckless and bad fish keeping. Sorry.

Sorry, I have to throw my two cents in here.. You absolutely CAN keep males and females together, not all male Bettas are go hard killers and depending on their individual personalities they can live peacefully together. It's happened many times over without incident, you can't judge all male Bettas the same. We have had two females, a male and a dwarf gourami live peacefully in a 10 gallon aquarium and everyone lived like that just fine. Sure a 10 wasn't the best size for them but there was never any problem at all.

Last edited by TheCheese909; 12-24-2012 at 05:12 AM.
TheCheese909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 03:18 PM   #16 
MSG

Not sure if you're getting high ammonia readings.....

The 2 common plecostomus have too high of a bio-load to be housed with the male & female bettas in the same 10 gallon tank.
  • A single plecostomus requires a tank of at least 30 gallons, but 55G is highly recommended. NEVER heard of 2 common plecos being housed in a 10G tank till now.
Also if your 2 plecos aren't getting enough food, they'll start grazing on the bettas while they sleep.

Hope you're not going to put the new halfmoon male betta in the same 10G.

Good luck to your fishies.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 01:34 PM   #17 
MidTnBetta

The two plecos have been in there the same amount of time as the girls. They get algae wafers as well as a food block that stays in their hide hole. They aren't going to be in there permanently. A friend has a 50 gallon they will be going to once they do their job here. My tank was completely green due to a severe algae bloom that was recurrent even after several water changes and scrubs in hot water to everything in the tank. They've cleaned it crystal clear in a week or two. It is by far not a permanent situation. The plecos leave the bettas alone and only come out at night after I've turned the lights off.

Anyway, back to the original thread, I believe the red spots were the start of fin rot. The Ich has started to go away, but now his tail looks partially... shredded... cut? Hard to describe. I'll try to get more pictures but am wondering can you treat with an antibiotic and treat for the ich as well at the same time? The Ich medicine doesn't say anything about that.
Old 12-29-2012, 11:56 AM   #18 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Common Plecos need way bigger than 30 gallons 30 gallons is for the smaller Plcos.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 12:08 PM   #19 
LeoTheLakerBetta

What kind of Ich medicine do you have? I have Kordon's RId Ich Plus and it only treats fungal infections of the external kind. It won't do anything for bacterial infections like fin rot. I'm not sure about mixing medicines so maybe some1 else can shed some light. If you are still treating Ich and it is not going away, it must be your filter. If your filter cartridge has carbon in it (little black rocks inside), then take a knife and cut out as much as you can without tearing the filter pad too much. Otherwise, the carbon will absorb all the medicine you put in....
LeoTheLakerBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 12:40 PM   #20 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I use Ick Attack mixed with a few other meds.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote