ChoclateBetta
Banned

I keep my twenty gallon filter on high.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 06:50 PM   #12 
johnny151

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virto View Post
Have you considered baffling the filter intake and output to reduce the flow?

If you swap filters, place your current cartridge in the new filter. If it won't fit, feel free to cut it so that it will fit on top or underneath the new filter pad.

Barring that, take the existing filter media and squeeze it out onto the new filter. It won't be quite as good, but it's sure better than starting with a totally unseeded pad.

Some of us have used the same filter pad for a loooong time. As long as it's not actively falling apart, it's pretty much OK to use.
I've tried bafflling this filter so many times, but everything I used never worked. Its a Tetra whisper 10I and the flow is rediculously strong. As far as the cartridge, its kinda big and won't fit into the new 1, It also has a green clip... i can unclip it and remove it from the frame.

So i should just do that and place it under the new cartridges? it has the carbon chips though, should i take those out of the old cartridge? They're of course expired LOL.

The sponge can also be removed I was going to place it behind or in front of the new cartridges. The new filter is a Marina S10. So its pretty slim, and also has an adjustable flow gauge.

Thank you all for your help
johnny151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 06:52 PM   #13 
Kithy

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny151 View Post
I've tried bafflling this filter so many times, but everything I used never worked. Its a Tetra whisper 10I and the flow is rediculously strong. As far as the cartridge, its kinda big and won't fit into the new 1, It also has a green clip... i can unclip it and remove it from the frame.

So i should just do that and place it under the new cartridges? it has the carbon chips though, should i take those out of the old cartridge? They're of course expired LOL.

The sponge can also be removed I was going to place it behind or in front of the new cartridges. The new filter is a Marina S10. So its pretty slim, and also has an adjustable flow gauge.

Thank you all for your help
I suck at baffling too ;; I finally got mine situated where it's not so bad. But it was so frustrating!
Kithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 06:58 PM   #14 
sandybottom
Reference Team

i have the same filter. i put a nylon sock around the bottom.not pantyhose. the thickness works as a baffle. i also put a sponge in the back. this has worked great for me. it sllowed mine down to about half strength.
sandybottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 06:59 PM   #15 
johnny151

Quote:
Originally Posted by sainthogan View Post
I have that filter as well, and on the very bottom of mine there is a knob that I can slide to adjust the flow from fast which is the default setting to slow, and anywhere in between. Check to see if yours has that as well. I've got mine set to slow, and then I have to have the water just almost touching the lip of the water output to keep the surface water slow.
Sorry for double post.
This is the filter i have, (old in use)
http://www.amazon.com/Tetra-Whisper-...ra+whisper+10i

I checked for a knob like yours and found nothing
Old 12-27-2012, 07:05 PM   #16 
johnny151

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kithy View Post
I suck at baffling too ;; I finally got mine situated where it's not so bad. But it was so frustrating!
LOL it really is! Especially knowing your fish is stressed from the strong flow. What did you use for your filter to baffle it down?
Old 12-27-2012, 07:06 PM   #17 
callistra

I run both at the same time for a month and then remove the old.

I prefilter all HOBs: http://www.amazon.com/Hagen-A1387-Fl.../dp/B002LL32RY And I have recently been sticking a sponge in the outflow too. I use these in the outflow because the pores are wide: http://www.thatpetplace.com/foam-pad-fluval-chi-2pk I attach with a silicon band like this user is doing here: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=122825

If you just swap you start your cycle all over again and you will have to test daily for ammonia and nitrites and make additional changes as necessary. I wouldn't do that.

Last edited by callistra; 12-27-2012 at 07:11 PM.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 07:10 PM   #18 
sainthogan

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny151 View Post
Sorry for double post.
This is the filter i have, (old in use)
http://www.amazon.com/Tetra-Whisper-...ra+whisper+10i

I checked for a knob like yours and found nothing

Oh, that is slightly different than mine. Mine has the intake on the bottom and on the back bottom part is the knob. I'll check the box and see what model I have.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 07:18 PM   #19 
sandybottom
Reference Team

neither of the tetra-i fliters that have, have a switch. i have the 10 and 20i.
sandybottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 07:41 PM   #20 
sainthogan

Ok, well my filters came with my aquariums as a kit and they don't have a box, but the owners manual says they are Tetra Whisper Micro Filters - that's it no "i" anywhere. I tried searching for them online, and I couldn't find them anywhere, maybe they don't make them anymore - but I've only had my newest tank 2 months. Maybe they only come with aquarium kits. Anyway it's virtually identical to the one you have, except for the flow knob on the back.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote