Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-27-2012, 01:51 AM   #11 
ao
TFK Moderator

when fish in a small container lives a long time.... I say: he "Zen"ed it out.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 01:59 AM   #12 
LittleBettaFish

I think it has to do with the hardiness of the fish itself, the cold water slowing down its metabolism and a case where in tanks where the water is not often changed the pH drops and most of the ammonia becomes locked into the less toxic form of ammonium.

I think the fish eventually becomes 'accustomed' to these less than ideal conditions (which is what is called 'old tank syndrome'), and so can manage to survive in them. However, when you see the bettas that people have kept for years in unheated and filthy bowls they are generally pretty poorly to look at.

Also no one ever mentions the bettas they have owned that have died after only a short time in these kind of set-ups. If someone wants to prove a point they generally cherry pick the information they provide so that it supports their argument. It would sort of be like me saying the best way to keep a cat is outside, and using our cat who is 14 years old as an example. Yet I fail to mention out of the six cats we have owned, one was hit by a car, the other had her back broken by a dog and the third just vanished one day (please note all our cats except one live strictly inside now, even the 14 year old much as he hates it).

Also usually when people mention the bettas that have died it is usually the store's fault and the fish was sick when they got it. Of course it has nothing to do with the toxic soup it was forced to swim around in.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 12:57 PM   #13 
Solaris

Yes, it definitely depends on the fish. That's what I told her. But she just says that it's just a fish, what do they know.

All I know is that I'm going to give my future Betta the very best life possible!
Solaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 02:35 PM   #14 
sandybottom
Reference Team

perhaps you can keep an eye out for a suitable alternative ,and give it as a gift. hobby stores have some great and interesting choices. 2+ gallon vases and jars.even big glass cookie jars. i used to work in a restaurant and would use the economy sized pickle/olive jars in a pinch. if you ask around at restaurants someone may have one for free. if cost is an issue.
sandybottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 03:41 PM   #15 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

If I remeber right Bettas average 1-2 in bowls.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 07:42 PM   #16 
Melodica

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandybottom View Post
one time expense, until you are addicted. then its rediculous.
This! I started out with a $27 5g kit. Then I had to buy rocks, decorations and a heater, which bumped it up to around $50.

Then I decided that I wanted a larger tank so I could have more than one betta, so I found a 10g kit for $39 on sale at Petco. Then I had to buy the rocks, plants and a better heater. Then I got ANOTHER 10g on sale because I wanted more bettas. Yeah. All in all, I've probably spent over $150 on the homes for six fish. And honestly, if I had space, I would probably get more. It's amazing how addictive it is!
Melodica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 07:49 PM   #17 
Kithy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melodica View Post
This! I started out with a $27 5g kit. Then I had to buy rocks, decorations and a heater, which bumped it up to around $50.

Then I decided that I wanted a larger tank so I could have more than one betta, so I found a 10g kit for $39 on sale at Petco. Then I had to buy the rocks, plants and a better heater. Then I got ANOTHER 10g on sale because I wanted more bettas. Yeah. All in all, I've probably spent over $150 on the homes for six fish. And honestly, if I had space, I would probably get more. It's amazing how addictive it is!
You aren't kidding! Anyone that can have just one tank (split or community or anything) is the expert of self control. I could never have just one. I'm barely okay with two
Kithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 07:50 PM   #18 
LittleBettaFish

Unfortunately, some people JUST DON'T CARE. Trying to convince them otherwise is about as productive as banging your head against a brick wall. Willful ignorance is how I describe it. These people know they are wrong but it is easier for them to be wrong than it is to go out and take the time to do things properly.

If you purchased a fully-fitted out 10 gallon tank the betta would still probably be as neglected as it is now. Then it would just become an issue of something like 'not enough water changes being done'.

It's a sad fact of life and unfortunately, fish don't even have the sympathy draw that other pets such as cats and dogs do.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 07:59 PM   #19 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I think the Myth cold water increases life span is in there too.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:03 PM   #20 
lillyandquigly

I think some bettas are just stronger then others
lillyandquigly is offline   Reply With Quote