Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-27-2012, 03:30 PM   #11 
callistra

Yeah he does not appear to see you.. IDK about that one.. There's a little response after he jumps at the tank lid closing so maybe he's just feeling too poopy to react to you.. hopefully it clears up..

Does your CT have white whispy stuff coming off his rays like it appears he does? It's hard to tell with the video size and quality. If so, I think he's shedding his slime coat.. seriously get him out of the tank into new water..

ETA: I did a google search and it looks like the Tetra Whisper filters have carbon bag options. Supposedly there are three cartridges? Carbon will only work 1 week to a month and after that it will start leaching back into the tank whatever it took out.. http://www.petco.com/product/107131/...on-System.aspx So it looks like the sponge or whatever you only have to replace 6 months to a year, and that's where most of your bacteria is growing. Then it has a dual sided pad with carbon? That should be replaced monthly and never replace the sponge and carbon in the same month. I'd replace the carbon at this point. Does that sound right? I'm trying to go off what I'm reading online and limited photos..

Quote:
When the Timestrip® in the filtration system's hood has turned completely red, it is time to change your filter. Note: It is important to change your filter cartridge when the Timestrip® indicates because the carbon in the cartridge has reached its capacity for removing toxins.

Last edited by callistra; 12-27-2012 at 03:42 PM.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 03:37 PM   #12 
AyalaCookiejar

This is interesting!

I just put a pellet on the end of a wooden skewer and used it to put the pellet RIGHT in front of his face. He tried snatching it and missed a few times, but I kept using the skewer to move the pellet back in front of his face and finally got him to find it. He just ate two pellets in a row when I used that method.. I think he must be going blind or something.

He obviously is hungry because he nomnomnomed on those two pellets, lol, he just has trouble finding them! :/ now to figure out WHY.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 03:43 PM   #13 
callistra

Poor guy :( Just keep feeding him that way then.
Old 12-27-2012, 03:45 PM   #14 
AyalaCookiejar

Sorry. Yeah, I also see lighter colored tips on his rays but he has been marbling so I haven't thought anything of his color... I have to go to work in like 15 minutes :( I can't do anything until after but it's only for 4 hours...

So the cartridge I have has carbon? I'm confused. Also what does it mean if he's shedding his slime coat?
Old 12-27-2012, 03:51 PM   #15 
callistra

You should have a sponge that doesn't get changed, just rinsed in old tank water along with cleanings. And a cartridge. Yes? That cartridge is carbon. You need to replace it regularly or it will leach crap back into the tank.

If he's shedding his slime coat then there's probably something wrong with the water and he's definitely sick and/or highly stressed.
Old 12-27-2012, 03:54 PM   #16 
AyalaCookiejar

So I need to go buy more filter cartridges after work, yes? I don't have a sponge, just the cartridge... I think I might be able to cut it and keep parts of the cartridge because the carbon is probably on the inside... The outside is spongy lol.
Old 12-27-2012, 03:57 PM   #17 
callistra

Take a look at the link. Is that not your filter? According to the website you should have a sponge and a filter cartridge.. Are you using a prefilter sponge on the HOB? that should hold your bb supply too, and would be a good idea for other reasons as well.

The website thinks you should have a biofoam like this: http://www.petmountain.com/show_product/11442-512486 as well as a white bag cartridge like this: http://www.petco.com/product/3039/Te...sories_Product

Last edited by callistra; 12-27-2012 at 04:00 PM.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:16 PM   #18 
AyalaCookiejar

I have those bio-bags but my filter is not a HOB it's an internal filter.