Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-27-2012, 08:53 PM   #1 
MusicEmo

Good Match for my betta?

I have a very easy-going young male crowntail betta and I'm thinking about getting him a 10 gallon tank (or bigger depending on what my mom will allow and price), and some tank mates. I'm thinking about a Bristlenose Pleco or a Pakistani Loach, and like, three neon tetras. I want an omnivorous bottom feeder that likes bloodworms (so it can and will, hopefully, eat the bloodworms my betta won't), and that's where theBristlenose Pleco or a Pakistani Loach come in. I love neon tetras and the thrilled to find out they (usually) get along with bettas!

So does that sound like a good line up? If not, some kind suggestion would be nice.
MusicEmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:54 PM   #2 
fishy314

Location: I wonder how long and boring this location can be before bettafish.com makes me stop typing this sen
Need more neons.

Edit: also a bigger tank.
fishy314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:09 PM   #3 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I would get a 30 gallon for your Ideas.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:53 PM   #4 
fishy314

Location: I wonder how long and boring this location can be before bettafish.com makes me stop typing this sen
Good Idea.
fishy314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:27 PM   #5 
LittleBettaFish

Have you thought of corydoras? They are particularly fond of bloodworms and I have found them to be slightly more entertaining to watch than bristlenose plecos. I have a full-grown bristlenose and the only time I see it is in the evening when it finally ventures out.

Also as Fishy314 mentioned you definitely need more neons. I would recommend at least 5-6 individuals as they are a schooling fish and will be happiest and more confident in a school.

I would advise at least a 20 gallon tank if you are going to have a bristlenose, betta and neon tetras. Bristlenose get quite large, and can produce quite a lot of waste so you will also need a filter with the biological capacity to deal with that.

I am not familiar with Pakistani loaches, but going by what I have just read, they appear to grow between 140 – 160 mm and prefer to live in groups. The recommended tank size from one of the more reputable information sites, seems to be one that is in the 4ft range. So definitely bigger than a 10 gallon.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:36 PM   #6 
callistra

Neons need schools of at least 6. Some people do okay for some time with 4-5 but it's really not ideal and anything less just can't happen. They'll be too stressed.

Corys are also school fish.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:42 PM   #7 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Wait Cories do perfectly fine in schools of 5.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:45 PM   #8 
LebronTheBetta

Yes, I think Cories would do well! But I think you'll need Pygmy Cories in a 10G. Cories are actually shoaling fish and do well in groups of 4+. I have 4 myself, they eat extra food but you still have to provide a proper diet with shrimp pellets and algae wafers.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:02 PM   #9 
Friendlyfishies

Id skip the pleco and loach and go with the neons...make sure you research the neons tho, they are picky little buggers and have a hard time surviving in certain water perams. I hear white cloud minnows and zebra danios are decent...as well as pygmy cories but im not sure how readily avail they are?
Friendlyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 12:30 PM   #10 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LebronTheBetta View Post
Yes, I think Cories would do well! But I think you'll need Pygmy Cories in a 10G. Cories are actually shoaling fish and do well in groups of 4+. I have 4 myself, they eat extra food but you still have to provide a proper diet with shrimp pellets and algae wafers.
I just use varied flakes for my bronze. They only eat flakes.

Tags
betta male, good match, tank mates