Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-27-2012, 10:48 PM   #11 
hannah16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaltd1 View Post
I put the cup next to my tank for 2 days... insert the Monty Python "Polly Parrot" sketch here, except insert "Pleco" for "Parrot"... it had ceased to be, gone to meet it's maker... unless the Bristlenose Pleco normally lies on it's back motionless, it was an ex-Pleco. When things started to smell, I had to toss the little guy. Maybe if I'd put 40,000 volts to it...
Aw.. That sucks =/.. I'd demand some kind of replacement plus a free one.

Also, do you want me to hold her?
hannah16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:55 PM   #12 
Xaltd1

I got a full refund and 2 free Purple Mystery snails. She's a pleco breeder on ebay. Don't hold her; see if you can get a good warm-weather home for her. It won't be less than 30 degrees here for 3 months. Winter has set in. If you ship overnight, make sure you get delivery confirmation! That means the post office driver has to actually get out of the truck & bring the package to the door (!!!). I think that's what killed my pleco: the stupid driver left my fish in the mailbox.
Xaltd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:58 PM   #13 
hannah16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaltd1 View Post
I got a full refund and 2 free Purple Mystery snails. She's a pleco breeder on ebay. Don't hold her; see if you can get a good warm-weather home for her. It won't be less than 30 degrees here for 3 months. Winter has set in. If you ship overnight, make sure you get delivery confirmation! That means the post office driver has to actually get out of the truck & bring the package to the door (!!!). I think that's what killed my pleco: the stupid driver left my fish in the mailbox.
Even if she gets shipped priority I'm adding a tracking number. I don't trust these people ... They're bad news sometime but its all we have to work with. My last two that came in the mail would have been DOA if Alex, my boyfriend, hadn't been keeping an eye out. It was COLD that day and the guy told he was about to leave a note and take the package back to the post office =/... When he opened the box the heat pack was dying and the fish were pale and cold.

Good thing they had warm water waiting for them! I would have been REALLY mad at my post office if my fish had froze because he didn't want to walk to my door. The box had a tracking number.
hannah16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:01 PM   #14 
registereduser

Not that I want to discourage you from buying from breeders, I have 4 females from breeders, but if you check Petco every 2 weeks you will see new shipments of bettas with new girls to choose from. Probably the same for Petsmart.

At the moment I have from Petco 2 blue, one teal, one yellowish and Mia pictured to the left. She is whitish and blue, a marble I hope, she is still young. I had one large bright red female but she died, my fault :( I am waiting for another.

Anyway, my point is if you wait until summer to buy from breeders you can avoid frozen fish and still keep collecting when you finally see something you love at the stores during the winter. Just be patient.
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:09 PM   #15 
Xaltd1

I live at the top of a hill. It is just too much trouble for the USPS, UPS, and Fedex to drive UP A HILL. Instead, I get the package tossed in the ditch if it doesn't fit in the mailbox. If it needs a signature, they put a post-it note for me to come to the office!!!
I live in a small town, and someone told me that I am "that woman who orders more stuff than anyone else". I can't tell you how mad that makes me! Have the people at the PO not heard of "Job Security"??? My landlord caught wind of my "reputation" and gives me s**** about "spending all my money". HELLO, I save tons of money by shopping on Amazon and Ebay! Sorry, venting.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:20 PM   #16 
Xaltd1

Registered, I hear you. I just have this "vision" of my sorority tank. I have 5 Petcos within 8 miles of my house! The seem more interested in keeping up with the Betta trade; although the chain stores are probably 2 years behind the breeders. Petsmart has fewer fish to choose from.
Until I'm advanced fish keeper, maybe I should stick to Petco.
The summer months would offer up cooked live fish! I live in a small window for shipping fish :0(