Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-27-2012, 11:45 PM   #21 
sainthogan

My female is a little dull in color until you shine a flashlight on her (see avatar picture) or she thinks she sees a male (like the day she saw me in my bright blue and purple jacket). But boy is she feisty!! Much more so than my male. I wouldn't trade her for the world!
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:48 PM   #22 
Xaltd1

Shop around! I found a 20 gallon full kit for $65 at one Petco, only to find a 29 gallon for a few dollars more at another Petco! They gladly made the switch for me. If you lurk in the stores, you might find a bargain; the opposite of the web. Individual managers in stores are often in the position to discount merchandise. If they see a repeat customer, they'll want to work with you. The stores off the beaten track are the best. I'm currently playing 3 local Petcos against each other. I tell each the fish manager what the other store has; what I want (more exotic females). I'll see who delivers! I also got $25 in $5 coupons, 3 from one store, 2 from another. If you buy a tank, you get $5 coupons (if you're a "PALS card member).

Last edited by Xaltd1; 12-27-2012 at 11:56 PM.
Xaltd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:56 PM   #23 
bettasareawesome

Location: Iowa, Midwest, USA, North America, Earth, The Sol Star System, Milky Way
I like female bettas there just like males but with shorter fins. And you can put them all together unlike males. Although i like males just as much. Also i'vegot a female right now and i like her she's much more active than my last guy although thats probably becuase she's a plakat and in a good tank instead of a vase.
bettasareawesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 12:07 AM   #24 
Shirleythebetta

I personally like the females better. I have one in particular that is proof they aren't all dull. she was a pale fleshy color with fin rot when I got her. I thought she was going to die. She got ten gallons pretty much to herself before I started my sorority and she is now a bright orange monster. She is in my photo albums. She is my oldest female, Patty. My whole sorority is colorful girls. Bright reds, pale yellows with blue irid, Wild color...
Shirleythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 12:09 AM   #25 
Xaltd1

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by majesticstorm View Post
They aren't ugly. They just look a bit discolored due to the poor care they get at the petstores.

I remember(before the females were placed in their cups) that petco once had them in one of those display tanks and they were really pretty. Now that I joined this forum and see how lovely these ladies can be, I really want a sorority of my own, but alas, I don't have a 10+gal tank. Maybe some day...
Per my entry above
Old 12-28-2012, 12:27 AM   #26 
majesticstorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaltd1 View Post
Shop around! I found a 20 gallon full kit for $65 at one Petco, only to find a 29 gallon for a few dollars more at another Petco! They gladly made the switch for me. If you lurk in the stores, you might find a bargain; the opposite of the web. Individual managers in stores are often in the position to discount merchandise. If they see a repeat customer, they'll want to work with you. The stores off the beaten track are the best. I'm currently playing 3 local Petcos against each other. I tell each the fish manager what the other store has; what I want (more exotic females). I'll see who delivers! I also got $25 in $5 coupons, 3 from one store, 2 from another. If you buy a tank, you get $5 coupons (if you're a "PALS card member).
Awesome! I'll keep that in mind! Unfortunately the problem is that I'm currently living in a dorm and can't have tanks larger than 10 gals (plus moving in/out would be a pain) but I will definitely keep your advice :)
majesticstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:29 AM   #27 
Xaltd1

I live in a small apartment. My landlord hasn't discovered the tank... yet. I will have to move eventually, too, but I got the tank to make it seem less like a broom closet and more like home.
Old 12-28-2012, 11:32 AM   #28 
bettasareawesome

Location: Iowa, Midwest, USA, North America, Earth, The Sol Star System, Milky Way
Wait, the landlord dosent allow you to have fish? Why not
bettasareawesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:44 AM   #29 
pittipuppylove

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettasareawesome View Post
Wait, the landlord dosent allow you to have fish? Why not
My guess it's the same reason that many dorms have a limit on tank sizes - it's the landlord's property and s/he sets the rules. If a tank breaks or leaks, there could be a lot of water damage. Regular partial water changes can take up a lot of water and will thusly increase the water bill, and the electricity used to heat, filter, etc. a tank increases that bill as well. The sheer weight of a tank can cause issues as well - given that a tank can easily weigh around 10lbs per gallon with substrate and decorations, even a relitively small tank could damage furnature or even damage the floor if it isn't designed to hold that much weight.
pittipuppylove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 12:56 PM   #30 
Xaltd1

I didn't ask if I could have fish, so I don't know! I live in a basement in-law apt., so if I spill 29 gallons, it will soak thru the carpet into cement. His kitchen, though, has flooded my bedroom & kitchen w/ spilled water from his leaky pipes, causing me major inconveniece. I feel entitled. I have a cat; I would think fish would be no prob., but who knows with him... he does pay all utilities.