Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Show Bettas
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-28-2012, 01:15 AM   #61 
Basement Bettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilmarisv View Post
There's really no trends at shows. The fish will either fit a color standard or it will not.
Color is very dificult and you have to be very selective. Butterflies have to be 50/50, Solids must be clean, multis need 3+ colors, etc.
The IBC handbook, which you can only get if you're a member, will explain all of this.
Ditto. Believe it or not.. perfecting a steel or red is not easy. And black.. pfffffffffft. Even a great patterned fish has rules.. like the 50/50 color split on the BF's. Even have to have the 50/50 marble pattern in the fins to be a great marble.

The trend is there is MORE competition and you have to have REALLY good fish. But that is what showing is about...
Basement Bettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 01:17 AM   #62 
Basement Bettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by homegrown terror View Post
wasn't it just earlier this year that rosetails and feathertails were considered a cull-able flaw? now, it seems like the more branching you can put out the better, without the little guys ripping their fins into confetti, of course!
Nope.. you listen to the judging and they pull excessive branching as being RT. NOT a desired trait at all in a good show fish. Is it in the breeding... yes. But they don't make good show fish unless you have no competition.

Last edited by Basement Bettas; 12-28-2012 at 01:34 AM.
Old 12-28-2012, 01:18 AM   #63 
Basement Bettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddybelle View Post

Black orchid: A black betta with blue, green, or turquoise iridescence.
There is no place for orchid as far as coloration. This would be a faulted black.
Old 12-28-2012, 01:20 AM   #64 
Basement Bettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo View Post
A qoute from Karen Mac Auley. Last years grand champion of the IBC with over 10 awards in 3-4 years for BOS fish
"Most of my fish are extreme OHM.....All of my BOS fish are OHM......"

Heavily branched fish seem to be preferred by judges now. But some people still don't advocate the breeding of this characteristic
Over half moon is VERY different than RT type branching. Her fish have good branching but they also have good fin length. When those fins open up they are fairly smooth.. They win because they have great balance and finnage. And they show better than most fish there.
Old 12-28-2012, 01:22 AM   #65 
Basement Bettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddybelle View Post
I don't think EEs are showable, their huge pectorals make them look unbalanced. Personally I think that, considering how popular they're becoming, the IBC should create a new class just for them.
They can be shown.. best in variations. But show fish is all about symetry.. and those big fins mess that up.

Last edited by Basement Bettas; 12-28-2012 at 01:35 AM.
Old 12-28-2012, 01:24 AM   #66 
Basement Bettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonShadow View Post
Vts don't have a class of their own in IBC shows (though they do in international shows) but they can be shown in open classes. I personally feel that vts should have their own class, but I've been told by many IBC members (including the president of the IBC) that they'll never make it into the shows until people start breeding serious VT show lines... which is something I plan on doing.
To show, one must have a standard to be judged against. No one has come up with a standard.. and few want to breed towards it. Got to think the economics of a show. Time to judge a class... plus ribbons. And then someone to keep track of the points. Probably not going to happen for a VT as most show breeders consider them a step backward.
Old 12-28-2012, 01:26 AM   #67 
Basement Bettas

Quote:
Well. They all have the same chance.. No matter what thrush I think they start out with 100 points but for every flaw found a certain amount of points are deducted, the amounts depends on whether they wer minor, severe, etc.
No.. don't start out with points. you look at the class and pull the most sever faults.. then less severe.. till few are standing. Then one with least faults wins.
Old 12-28-2012, 01:31 AM   #68 
Basement Bettas

Quote:
Aemeki what are you talking about? Lol. All different tail types, and colors have different judging criteria already
Not really. Color is color. Red is red no mater on HM, PK or Ct. Then the tail types have their own form standard. When you get to BoS they look as see what fish is closest to the ideal for their type. It must have the closest to perfection color and form type. Siegs three time BoS pk was flawless. PERFECT color and form. IF the VT had a standard.. it would be judged against how well it met its standard compared to the other BoV's.
Old 12-28-2012, 01:32 AM   #69 
Basement Bettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannah16 View Post
Perhaps they could judge based on color and maybe they could set a standard about the slop of the tail?

I don't know, either way I'd love to see a VT class. My first betta was a VT so they'll always have a place in my heart.
You'd love to see one.. what are the chances you would enter one? You would have to get close to 100 VT entries to even make it worth adding them to a show. And who will be breeding them? Seriously enough to make adding the time to judge them and the cost of awarding them ribbons and the time it takes to tabulate their points worth while?
Old 12-28-2012, 08:00 AM   #70 
ChibreneyDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basement Bettas View Post
You'd love to see one.. what are the chances you would enter one? You would have to get close to 100 VT entries to even make it worth adding them to a show. And who will be breeding them? Seriously enough to make adding the time to judge them and the cost of awarding them ribbons and the time it takes to tabulate their points worth while?
Dear Gods, did you wake up on the wrong side of the bed? We all know VT in IBC is probably something that wont occur, but they just want to fantasize and gush over the memories of their first fish.
ChibreneyDragon is offline   Reply With Quote