Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-26-2012, 01:27 AM   #11 
callistra

There are also cases of wild cheetahs adopting Nd befriending domesticated dogs but I would't drop my pup off at the zoo and put him in the cage with a cheetah..

I agree not a good idea
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 02:37 AM   #12 
LittleBettaFish

No worries Mirage23.

I really enjoyed my sorority tank when I had it, and being able to house numerous females in the same tank also helped cut down on maintenance and equipment costs.

If you do your research and set the tank up correctly from day one, you shouldn't run into too many issues. I had a sorority tank of some sort for around two years and if it wasn't for budget and space constraints I'd set up another one.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 03:12 PM   #13 
lillyandquigly

A sorority is a good idea, I am currently making a plan for one, but yeah male and females shouldn't be together unless spawning. I once when I was new to betta keeping kept two females and a male together. They were peaceful for about two years. Then one of my females got egg bound and died. That's when my male started chasing my other female. So just stick with a sorority. Glad you asked before trying:D
lillyandquigly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:40 PM   #14 
Mirage23

My sorority seems to be doing fine at the moment so I'm excited :)
Mirage23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:07 AM   #15 
Myates

What people fail to say when they claim to have males/females together is that they live in harmony for a week.. possibly two.. or even less. Most people post their "friendly" fish just shortly after introducing, but fail to say that a week later one or both is dead.

It IS possible if you have the right temperamental bettas, and a very large tank (55g+) that is extremely heavily planted. One member here is successful with it, but that is after generations of siblings and trial/error.

Would be nice if it were possible.. would solve a lot of my space issues :D lol

But everyone here has you covered.. sorority of 4+ females (based upon size of tank), lots and lots and lots of plants mid - top level.

Good luck :)
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:53 AM   #16 
lillyandquigly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
What people fail to say when they claim to have males/females together is that they live in harmony for a week.. possibly two.. or even less. Most people post their "friendly" fish just shortly after introducing, but fail to say that a week later one or both is dead.

It IS possible if you have the right temperamental bettas, and a very large tank (55g+) that is extremely heavily planted. One member here is successful with it, but that is after generations of siblings and trial/error.

Would be nice if it were possible.. would solve a lot of my space issues :D lol

But everyone here has you covered.. sorority of 4+ females (based upon size of tank), lots and lots and lots of plants mid - top level.

Good luck :)
Actually two members that I know of, Mo and Oldfishlady
Old 12-28-2012, 12:49 PM   #17 
Mirage23

Thanks everyone! Awesome advice from everyone! Because of space tho, my tanks are next to each other. Narcissus has a front row view of the ladies. He's been bubble nesting and I've seen the ladies watch him before. I think that boosted his ego ;)
Mirage23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 12:59 PM   #18 
lillyandquigly

lolXD
Old 12-28-2012, 01:20 PM   #19 
txbettaowner

Putting a male and a female together is like putting to males together in a tank. Nothing good will come of it. I have a 10 gallon tank that did house 6 betta females but my one became very aggressive so she had to be removed. Even females together can get aggressive so putting a territorial male with a sometimes territorial female is not a good idea.
txbettaowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 01:30 PM   #20 
lillyandquigly

it's ok tx, she's starting a sorority instead