Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-27-2012, 07:04 PM   #16041 
bethyMT

A rant - just came back from my inlaws' late christmas dinner. Well, suffice it to say that the presents sucked and the dinner - ham, tater tots, and corn, with gross peppermint ice cream and cookies - also sucked. I mean, who serves tater tots to guests? And they got us a fire extinguisher, as if we don't already have two. Safety first, I guess????

Worst.Christmas.Ever..................at least from the inlaws. Bah.
bethyMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 07:28 PM   #16042 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Atleast you were with family.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:50 PM   #16043 
Shirleythebetta

I feel so lucky to have in-laws I am friends with. I am pretty close with them. We get along good. We have had our spats but it all worked out once they got to know me.

rant-Having anxiety attacks tonight for stupid reasons again. I am sick of it. Also Winny (new bunny) has figured out he has teeth. Can't wait for the first time he trys to bite me :/
Shirleythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:25 AM   #16044 
dramaqueen
Banned

We're putting our house on the market in 10 weeks. All the nosey neighbors who never speak to me will be asking questions. You never speak to me but now that I have a for sale sign in my yard you want to ask me where I'm moving to ? My answer? I don't know. I haven't heard.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 06:44 PM   #16045 
bethyMT

Shirley, you're lucky. My Ils don't know what to do with me, since I'm so different from June Cleaver. My MIL is a repressed, depressed version of said June Cleaver. I scare them since I'm kinda outspoken, random, messy, and I love animals and all the chaos they bring. While FIL is all right, MIL drives me mad - she's got no hobbies except cleaning her whole house twice a week and waiting on her husband hand and foot. It seems like the longer we are in each other's company the less we understand each other/don't like each other.

I am so lucky my DH didn't turn out like his parents wanted him to! But we do fight sometimes, since he tends to think housework and childcare get done *magically* and that we should never ever argue (and thus our relationship is falling apart if we get mad at each other).
bethyMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 06:55 PM   #16046 
Shirleythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethyMT View Post
Shirley, you're lucky. My Ils don't know what to do with me, since I'm so different from June Cleaver. My MIL is a repressed, depressed version of said June Cleaver. I scare them since I'm kinda outspoken, random, messy, and I love animals and all the chaos they bring. While FIL is all right, MIL drives me mad - she's got no hobbies except cleaning her whole house twice a week and waiting on her husband hand and foot. It seems like the longer we are in each other's company the less we understand each other/don't like each other.

I am so lucky my DH didn't turn out like his parents wanted him to! But we do fight sometimes, since he tends to think housework and childcare get done *magically* and that we should never ever argue (and thus our relationship is falling apart if we get mad at each other).
My husband thinks its magic too. Like I wave a wand or something. I didn't get along with my in laws at first. They didn't like that I was smart and thought I was trying to take my husband away from them. My mommy in law got shocked a few times when I told her no. She isn't used to being told no. She even got mad at me when I stopped my husband from drinking because he was a drunk and his liver counts were high. Yes his health was not a good reason to stop drinking I guess. She also tryed to talk him into dumping me because I can't have children.

Once she got to know me as a person who is strong, smart, in dependant and resourceful she realized I wasn't with my husband for the money and I was here to build him up not down she now threatens to hurt me if I leave. Lol and she brags abt my university grades to all of her friends. She calls them up every time I make the deans list. It could get better for you, you never know. Now my mom in law tells me she loves me and we go shopping ocassionally. Hold out hope!
Old 12-28-2012, 06:56 PM   #16047 
Shirleythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
We're putting our house on the market in 10 weeks. All the nosey neighbors who never speak to me will be asking questions. You never speak to me but now that I have a for sale sign in my yard you want to ask me where I'm moving to ? My answer? I don't know. I haven't heard.
Don't you love how nosy small towns are. Lived I. Them my whole life.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:21 PM   #16048 
Sparrowhawk

Wow, the in-laws stories sound terrible.

I'm lucky enough to have future-in-laws who are laid back enough that I don't have to get my feminist claws out, haha! My own family is another story though, heh...

My rant for the day is about being my grandmother's full-time carer. I don't usually protest about it, because I'm needed, she has mobility issues and I understand exactly why I need to put my desire for a career in body modification on hold to look after the only remaining family member from my mum's side (since Mum passed away when I was 17, I have this kind of desperate tie to my grandma).

But would it kill her to say "please" and "thank you"? Seriously, I know that I'm being paid $2/hour by the government to be her personal slave, but some manners wouldn't hurt. Ugh!

And her attitudes about, well, life just make my blood boil. I have two chronic mental illnesses, though I prefer to think of them as simply issues I have to deal with day-to-day (clinical depression and anxiety/panic disorder) and she refuses to see them as they are, not "just a phase" that I'll "get over". Been battling this stuff for 12 years now, in and out of therapy for all that time and been on various medications throughout my adolescence and early adulthood. I'm pretty sure I've figured out what works for me, and what preventative measures are appropriate for keeping myself well.

Being almost 80, she's also very stuck in old-world values. She believes I should be hyper-feminine, basically be a Stepford Wife and get up before my partner and make myself pretty for him. She's extremely ashamed that I have piercings and tattoos, aspirations for a career in the body modification industry, and the fact that I feel the most comfortable in my skin with a buzzcut is the most shameful of all, because a woman should have long, flowing hair, or she's a grotesque freak (not my words).

As a last little bit to my incredibly long-winded rant, it makes me want to hit things when she flippantly says things about our fish like "Oh, if they die, you can just get a new one, hahaha, it's only a fish!" and the awesome one last night when we had guests: "I'm glad you're keeping fish now, there won't be the hysterical crying when they die like there was when Nala our cat had to be put down!" as if they're somehow less valuable...

*tableflip*
Sparrowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:42 PM   #16049 
BettaHeart

http://youtu.be/UmmRubMv9iY

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rant: ............
BettaHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:06 PM   #16050 
Sparrowhawk

Wow, that video is extremely interesting. Definitely "favouriting" it!
Sparrowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote