Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-22-2012, 04:10 AM   #311 
LittleBettaFish

Sorry to hear about the egg eating Babystarz. Sometimes the females can be so pushy the poor males have no choice but to go with it even if they aren't quite up to scratch condition wise to be holding.

Hopefully if your male does hold to term no one decides to munch on the fry before you can get them out.

I realised why one of my palangkarensis pairs has not been spawning. I think I have my burdigala female in with one of the males and the actual palangkarensis female up in the tank with my uberis male. They used to be housed altogether and I thought I got everyone separated out correctly. Looks like I didn't.

Palangkarensis got moved into the divided tank I was saving for my new pairs. There is so much leaf litter that the water is a very dark orange. The actual pair have been barred up all day and the male is hanging up in the floating leaves so crossing everything that they spawn in the next couple of days.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 05:21 PM   #312 
LittleBettaFish

Took some photos of my striped up palangkarensis female. She unfortunately, seems more interested in the male on the other side of the divider as her male is quite shy and wussy. I might remove the divider and just let them all in together now I have them sorted properly.

Very bad picture of their current tank set-up. Hoping to find some pothos to grow out of the top as I like the look of the roots in the water.

Rutilans fry getting big and fat on grindals.
Old 12-24-2012, 12:47 PM   #313 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

A wild Betta paldraium wiuld be interesting.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 07:35 PM   #314 
LittleBettaFish

Well palangkarensis are still playing coy, but I did manage to fish seven additional rutilans fry out of their parents' tank. Most are quite small having had to scavenge to survive, but they should shoot up now I have them on two - three meals a day.

I also am going to be the owner of a pair of Betta macrostoma next week, courtesy of my mum. She saw them in my not so LFS yesterday when I went in for IAL. She had to have them since her favourite complex is the unimaculata complex. So the owner of the store is holding them for us until I get a tank arranged for them.

I don't think they are that old as they are not much bigger than my unimaculata male. However, I don't mind as that means I probably won't see any fry for a while.

I just wish she got as excited about the coccina complex species as she did the bigger mouthbrooders. I think we opposite tastes in almost everything including fish!
Old 12-27-2012, 02:43 AM   #315 
LittleBettaFish

As you can see my fry and juveniles are thriving. The unimaculata fry are onto blackworms already and are nearly outstripping my persephone in growth even though they are about half their age. Rutilans fry are growing each day although there are some extremely tiny fry in there still. Think the photo I got of the red finned fry is possibly of the brownorum I had in there. Won't be able to tell until they grow out a bit more though.

Unimaculata fry. Yes one of them is doing a poo. Only way I could get them all to stay still was by giving them some blackworms.

This is my adult persephone female (she's unrelated to the juvies). Unfortunately, she jumped out a couple days back and got dragged along my carpet with a net since I couldn't reach her so her fins are not at their best.

Some of the rutilans fry. Have roughly 25 of them now in this tank so moving them to a 7 gallon grow-out in a couple of days.

My tussyae juvenile (probably considered an adult now) also wanted to have its photo taken. I am thinking it might be a 'she' but it is hard to tell until it colours up more.

Old 12-27-2012, 04:32 PM   #316 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

What do you think of a Betta Paulrdrium?
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 12:37 AM   #317 
babystarz

I HAVE FRY!!!!!

My heart fell when I stopped by to feed the ocellata today and both males came to eat. I figured the new daddy had panicked when the babies hatched and swallowed them.... until I saw a tiny baby! And then another! And another! I felt a bit guilty because I was gone when they were born, and I'm sure there were many more to begin with but so far I've managed to net and transfer 12 of them. There are a couple more evading capture XD

I'm a bit panicked because my worm cultures are all moldy and un-useable. I am hoping the fry will accept frozen bbs and 100-200 micron golden pearls until I have my bbs hatchery up and running. I should have started it earlier but I was counting on the worms. I have posted on the local fish forum so hopefully I can get some new cultures started right away.

I am unbelievably excited, this is my first wild betta spawn. Yaaaaay! Alright, off to chase those quick babies. The brine shrimp net is working beautifully.

LBF - love your pic updates! The palangkarensis are gorgeous.

Last edited by babystarz; 12-28-2012 at 12:41 AM.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 01:42 AM   #318 
babystarz

Fry transfer count is up to at least 15 :)
Old 12-28-2012, 01:22 PM   #319 
LittleBettaFish

Congratulations Babystarz. Glad to see he held for you. Not every male is a bad first time dad. If you have a breeders' net or even a separate tank, I would probably advise you to stick him in there for a week or so and fatten him up on live/frozen foods and pellets. Otherwise you will find your female (I forget how many ocellata you own) will probably start pestering him again.

Much as people hate them on here, live blackworms are a great food for wild species bettas. The put a lot of condition and bulk on a fish and I have never run into any issues with them, even when my juveniles are swimming around like blimps after a meal.
Old 12-28-2012, 10:01 PM   #320 
babystarz

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
Congratulations Babystarz. Glad to see he held for you. Not every male is a bad first time dad. If you have a breeders' net or even a separate tank, I would probably advise you to stick him in there for a week or so and fatten him up on live/frozen foods and pellets. Otherwise you will find your female (I forget how many ocellata you own) will probably start pestering him again.
I have 4 adults (2 males and 2 females) in a 20 Long, which has the same amount of horizontal space as a 30 G. Kind of close quarters so it's probably a good idea to remove one, although I think I might move the female instead of the male. The other female is younger than the rest and hasn't become eggy yet so I think it's safe to leave the males with her. I have been feeding them lots and lots of nummies, partly to avoid any remaining fry from becoming snacks. I know there are at least two of the little guys still in there, probably more. I'm up to at least 17 in the fry growout tank. The ones evading capture are so quick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
Much as people hate them on here, live blackworms are a great food for wild species bettas. The put a lot of condition and bulk on a fish and I have never run into any issues with them, even when my juveniles are swimming around like blimps after a meal.
Yes I may look into that, I know Tony sells them around here so I have access to a steady supply. How big are they?

I am leaving on vacation in a month for 7 days and I'm already a bit antsy about leaving the babies for that long. I think I'll have to train my roommate to feed them

I just did 1 big feeding for the babies today, I'll be home a lot more after my shift tomorrow morning so I will be feeding small meals multiple times a day. I have Sunday and Monday off, yay!

I can only see one fry at a time in the growout, it's so densly planted with floaters and mosses :P